2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have been looking at sdeveral different trucks recently. I am looking to get a newer truck. I have always had mostly Ford trucks. Today I was looking at the Tundra's on a Toyota lot when I noticed a RAM truck in their used side. It was really clean and I decided to take it for a test drive. I must say that I was very impressed with the truck. They are trying to sell it for 30k.

Truck has 90000 miles and was fleet owned by a local company near the dealer. The underside is super clean and by the looks of everything it has only seen highway miles. Everything works good on it and it drove very smooth. It is a crew cab with new michelins on it.

I am thinkng really hard about this truck. The miles scare me a little but it is a 2020 and the service record shows it has been maintained and serviced ever since new, regularly. I am looking for opinions on these new RAMs. Any current owners with these new trucks on here? Any first time RAM buyers that are happy they choose a RAM? I also must admit that I nervouse about it being a RAM. I grew up on Fords and that is what I know but this truck seems to me to be nicer than the newer Fords I have looked at and also a better price. I am just not sure and want to make an intellegent decision.

One last thing, I am not looking for a puller. I already have a Super Duty. This will be my everyday around town type of truck.

Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #2  
My experience, with you being a Ford guy, Dodge will be fine for you. The thinking put into Dodge trucks is very similar to Ford and you will understand Dodge just fine.

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #3  
My 2019 RAM 1500 Crew cab is my second one, I had a 2015 and traded towards the 2019 when it was just shy of 100,000.
I'm getting to the stage when I don't want to wrench on my daily driver so I've taken to buying the extended warranties and the one I had on the 2015 ended at 100,000 miles. This current one goes to 125,000 and 8 years so that's likely how long I'll be keeping this RAM. I know that many people don't believe in buying these extended warranties and if I was younger and still doing all my own work I'd tend to agree. So far with both trucks I think my warranty work has totaled about $600 and they did cost me a lot more then that.
I have the Laramie package on this one with the air ride suspension and I'm fairly well pleased with it. It did feel kind of mushy a couple of times but I was also a bit over loaded both of those times.

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #4  
Hell most of the cars I BUY have 90K miles. Modern autos should be very reliable for 200k. If... If you maintain them

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #6  
I bought a new 2019 Ram, full size 4 door, 6' box, 1500 with the 5.7 3 years ago. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the cab-1/2 with a 5' box as mine has the turning radius of a bus and some drive thrus are tricky to navigate, not a deal breaker but be aware.

Awesome power, I haul a 1100L water trailer for my daughter so it's around 3500lbs and you wouldn't even know it's there.
Mileage is around 19-20mpg and that's Canadian gallons, doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference trailer or not. I don't have a lead foot, actually until fuel prices went apes**t I used to drive 10-15kph over the limit. I've since dropped to the limit and get at least 1-2 mpg better mileage.

No major complaints so far other than the noise cancelling system going funky once every two-three months. It's supposed to make a negative noise but when it goes funky it'll drive you out of the cab 'till you stop and restart it the noise is so basey for lack of a better word. There's instructions on-line on how to disable the system by disconnecting the amp.

Had the transmission computer re-flashed (recall) with updated software couple months after I bought it. It wasn't shifting smoothly, the reflash made a difference but still not perfect IMHO. It's a ZF 8 speed. Be aware also, they, ZF, like their fluid which is supposed to be proprietary blend as it's CAN$30L and holds 9 I think it is, if you decide to change it. Valvolines MaxLife ATF is a replacement according to them but it's not approved by ZF.

The lockup torque converter, least I think that's what's doing it, has a slightly harsh engage/disengagement if you're coasting down a hill for example and then have to accelerate when it unlocks I'm assuming. Again, not a deal breaker as it's not earth shattering but annoying and something they, the dealer, can't fix, "way it is' I've been told.

Another recall was cab mount bolts had to be replaced, every time you'd go around a sharp corner, a roundabout for example, it would creak and snap under the cab.

Latest recall was a leaking high mount brake light leak which is a common problem for decades, which stained my headliner. They ordered a new light? gasket ? to fix it and supposidly will clean my headliner...we'll see.

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #7  
Is it the 4th Gen DS (Classic) or the 5th Gen DT? What engine? The 8 speed auto is a rock solid dependible transmission.

I had a 4th Gen 17 Ram hemi, loved it, but was bitten by the Jeep bug.

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn
Is it the 4th Gen DS (Classic) or the 5th Gen DT? What engine? The 8 speed auto is a rock solid dependible transmission.

I had a 4th Gen 17 Ram hemi, loved it, but was bitten by the Jeep bug.
5th gen, Hemi, and 8 speed transmission.

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #9  
Great trucks...know others who have them and love them.

I bought an F150 because the bed length was 2" longer than the Ram and that was important to me because I haul my Yamaha Kodiak ATV in the back and with that extra bed length I am able to shut the tailgate with the ATV loaded. Plus, the payload of the F150 was several hundred pounds higher than the Ram...but the Ram did ride nicer. But if the configuration of the one you're looking at, go for it. Nothing wrong with them at all mechanically. 90,000 miles, if the truck has been well maintained, is less than half of its expected life.

/ 2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn #10  
Hell most of the cars I BUY have 90K miles. Modern autos should be very reliable for 200k. If... If you maintain them
Important phrase there. Today, most people never check their tire pressure (why TPS was mandated) and they think a 'dipstick' is a bad driver.