2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #1  

Steve4225H

Tractor
Branson 4225H
I'm looking for someone with real knowledge on the DPF system in my tractor. No I don't want to remove the DPF in my new tractor. As we know the manual is a joke. I have talked with the manufacturer in Georgia and with my dealer. Both seem lost about information. My problem is when I turn my key on, but not start, the DPF light comes on solid for 3 seconds, then goes out, then it flashes 10 times and goes out. Then I start the tractor and no DPF light comes on. After the tractor warms up and the EGTS, the DPF light comes back on solid with the RPM's up in the green area. Light will go out if the RPM's are at an idle. The manufacturer told me to warm it up and run it at WOT, 3000 RPM, for 45 minutes and that should burn it off in the DPF and reset the Logger. I ran it for an hour at 3000 RPM and that didn't work. I added 16oz of Lucas Oil Diesel Deep Clean to a full tank of fuel and ran it again at 3000 RPM for an hour and nothing.

The Logger is trying to say something. Does anyone know the light codes from the Logger? When you first turn the key on and the DPF light is on solid for 3 seconds, I think that's a system check-out. What does the 10 flashes mean when the key is turned on after the solid goes out? After warmed up and at higher RPM what does the solid DPF light mean? I know it's not "Emergency" and shut it down because the manufacturer and my dealer told me to run it at WOT.

Does anyone have a diagnostic description code chart for this Logger? Sequence of operation chart? Some kind of information and not just remove the DPF.

Does it need a scanner to reset the light? Has anyone found a scanner that works on this system?

Thanks for any information.

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #2  
Sorry to hear that you are having issues.
Are you down on power any?
As I understand the regeneration on those is a valve that holds in a bit of back pressure and
uses the resulting heat to clean the dpf.
Maybe make here work hard for an hour will do the job.
Good luck.

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #3  
I tried a couple scanners on my 2017's OBD port and none could read it.

Does yours have regen? I'm guessing not given the description. Then you probably have the same system I have.

My shop manual says if the DPF light is
Continuous: DPF clogged or EGT too high, stop engine.
Blinking every .5 sec: sensor malfunction
Blinking every 2 sec: working time too long (they think the DPF needs replaced due to age).

I hope you have a bad sensor and the logger is not detecting that it's bad but thinks the EGT is high or DPF clogged. I'd guess it's one of the pressure sensors. Maybe check the rubber tubing for leaks?

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed
I have no power loss and the tractor runs great. My system has no Regen button.

I have no work to be done at this time and my fields are still way to muddy. In Southern Oregon.

I would like to understand what the system is saying. If continuous light then DPF is clogged, understandable. The "Stop Engine" "Emergency" part I don't understand when the manufacturer and the dealer said to run it at WOT 3000 RPM when it has a solid light and the book says different. Who is wrong?

My light in the past only came on for the 3 seconds when I turned the key on. Then went out and always stayed out during any type of operation. You would think the first light to come on would be a warning light or a check system light and not a "Stop Engine or Emergency" light. I would guess the book is wrong on that part, maybe.

This is why I'm trying to find out information on the codes and not just check this and do that. Seems like a pretty simple system of a differential pressure switch and a exhaust gas temperature sensor.

Someone must know more about this Logger operation.

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #5  
I had the exact problem with my 4520R, so I hooked it up to my 6' brush hog and mowed for an hour at high RPM and tall grass.
The light went out after 45 minutes. I wish it had a regen button like the 5520C.

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #6  
I think at one time ericm had found a supplemental booklet (it would be a stretch to call it a "manual") on the Branson's (older) emissions system?

Or am I thinking of some other member?

Steve,

From my own experience with wrangling with mine, by your symptoms I think you have a bad sensor. If your filter was really clogged hard enough to light that indicator on solid, you would feel a loss of power.

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #7  
I think at one time ericm had found a supplemental booklet (it would be a stretch to call it a "manual") on the Branson's (older) emissions system?

Or am I thinking of some other member?

Steve,

From my own experience with wrangling with mine, by your symptoms I think you have a bad sensor. If your filter was really clogged hard enough to light that indicator on solid, you would feel a loss of power.
Maybe it was this PDF file from Branson Germany? A translator may be needed for the German parts though.

Attachments

• DPF-ja-katalysaattori-korjaamokirja-25-sarja.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
   / 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #8  
Yea, that's it. The thing I posted was a slide deck for a paper explaining how continuous low temp regen works. Interesting but not useful in this context.

I think working the engine hard puts a lot more heat into the DPF than running the throttle up with the tractor parked. The governor will allow only enough fuel to compensate for friction losses in the engine and the part of the trans that is turning, which isn't a lot. But the engine is still pumping a full load of air. Mowing is good. Some people have had success putting it in high range and driving on a road for a while. At least with my 3725 you'd need a flat road for that.

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed
Update:
I finished the tank of fuel with the Lucas Oil Diesel Deep Clean and running the tractor at a high RPM and still the same problem with the same codes.

Does anyone know information on the codes? With just the key on and with it running.

So I decided to troubleshoot. Ohmed out the exhaust gas temperature sensor just at outdoor temperature. Ohmed out proper for the outdoor temperature per the service manual. Checked hoses to the DPS and all looked good. Performed a pressure check across the DPF. 3 psi on inlet and .20 wga on the outlet with the engine running. Filter seems to be plugged. Start removing DPF only at the two big hose clamps. It's easy to remove without much of a problem. Just be careful not to damage the graphite gaskets between the joints under the hose clamps. The DPF section has verticle flanges for the hose clamps and also male horizontal flanges on both ends of the DPF to help line up the sections. So don't let the male horizontal flanges hang up on the graphite gaskets when you pull the DPF out of place. The gaskets are sometimes hard to find and some Branson parts departments told me it has no gaskets in that area. People don't know thier products. The graphite gaskets are $28-$30 each and yes it has two.

DPF is out and filter is plugged. Back washed the DPF section only with a pressure washer for about 30 minutes. It's crazy how much soot it holds and around the edges of the DPF. Then blew it out with compressed air for about an hour. It's hard to get the water out. Used compressed air a couple of times a day for a couple of days. Then finally used a portable heater to blow through it. One day one direction and then the other direction. Installed the cleaned DPF back into position and run the tractor around. The DPF light is now off with the tractor at temperature and the engine at 2000-2500 RPM.

The DPF light still flashes when you turn the key on but don't start the engine. If the tractor is cold, the light comes on solid for three seconds and then flashes 10 times. If the tractor is warm, the light comes on solid for three seconds and then flashes 11 times.

Still trying to find someone who knows what the code means for the flashing DPF light. 10 flashes and 11 flashes. Also, does this light need to be reset with a scanner? The flashing light with just the key on will not go out.

Someone must be running into the same problems. Any Branson mechanics out there???

/ 2020 Branson 4225H DPF Information Needed #10  
Good to hear it cleaned out well for you.