1739e front wheel drive broke

/ 1739e front wheel drive broke #1  

JeffreyV

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1739e
Hi everybody, my front wheel drive stopped workin, I checked the driveshaft couplers. I get resistance from the trans when tryin to turn it by hand with it engaged. No movement when turnin the front wheel drive input shaft. No memory of anything that happened, no loud noise/clang/clunk/snap. Front wheels jacked up turn freely no weird noise but don’t get the “differential” turning of the opposite wheel. What I need is any experience/advise and a good parts breakdown as I will probably be tearin into it myself, I worked at a John Deere dealership and have tools and experience just not with these tractors. Thanks!
Jeffrey

/ 1739e front wheel drive broke #2  
Hi everybody, my front wheel drive stopped workin, I checked the driveshaft couplers. I get resistance from the trans when tryin to turn it by hand with it engaged. No movement when turnin the front wheel drive input shaft. No memory of anything that happened, no loud noise/clang/clunk/snap. Front wheels jacked up turn freely no weird noise but don’t get the “differential” turning of the opposite wheel. What I need is any experience/advise and a good parts breakdown as I will probably be tearin into it myself, I worked at a John Deere dealership and have tools and experience just not with these tractors. Thanks!
Jeffrey
I'd start with the AGCO Parts book online like which will look something like this:
AGCO Parts Book.jpg

Next would be to get a shop manual if the online Parts Book breakout doesn't have enough details.

/ 1739e front wheel drive broke
   / 1739e front wheel drive broke #4  
I'll admit that I have had issue with that site as well. If you get to the pages you need I'd take some screen shots or printout.

I'd try a couple of internet searches for a service manual. If you are forced to buy one from AGCO its not going to be cheap, but then a front axel repair is probably not a minor fix if that's what you are looking at.

Good luck and let us know what your final outcome is.

I'll admit that I have had issue with that site as well. If you get to the pages you need I'd take some screen shots or printout.

I'd try a couple of internet searches for a service manual. If you are forced to buy one from AGCO its not going to be cheap, but then a front axel repair is probably not a minor fix if that's what you are looking at.

Good luck and let us know what your final outcome is.
$250 ish for the manual from Agco. Gonna go back and recheck the drive shaft splined couplers as well as give the input shaft a better spin to see if the front wheels turn. The dealership was kinda helpful on the phone but of course they are slammed busy this time of year. They said run it I just won’t have four wheel drive I’m wonderin if theres a chunk of gears or somethin in the housing it will get into the final drives

/ 1739e front wheel drive broke #6  
Before tearing apart the front axle, take the splined coupler off and look at the forward end of the drive shaft. On some models the coupler floats and at times only engages about 3/4" of the splines.I have cut a second coupler to act as a spacer to encourage more engagement of the splines. The forces of turning with a load can strip the end of the drive shaft. (That does not explain the lack of expected differential opposite spinning) However it is a cheap fix if it is the problem.

Before tearing apart the front axle, take the splined coupler off and look at the forward end of the drive shaft. On some models the coupler floats and at times only engages about 3/4" of the splines.I have cut a second coupler to act as a spacer to encourage more engagement of the splines. The forces of turning with a load can strip the end of the drive shaft. (That does not explain the lack of expected differential opposite spinning) However it is a cheap fix if it is the problem.
Have checked but not completely removed the driveshaft to get a really good look at the splines although with everything engaged I cannot turn the shaft somethin could still be stripped. Repair manual is on order $250 and change, probly cheaper than just the pickup and delivery charge the dealer is an hour and a half away. I will feel a lot better with some service information. Thanks for the advice I will be usin it

Ok its been a while but I finally zeroed in on my problem. I could see the axle turnin through the fill cap hole on the right side so I pulled the left side final drive and found the axle had snapped inside the final drive. Parts are in at the dealer and fortunately a lot less than I was anticipating. The easy diagnosis was the side with less resistance wasn’t turnin all the gears to the axle shaft therefore it freewheeled much easier than the other side

Attachments

• 14A8D1CD-BFA2-4EDF-9B76-42CB14F21AFE.jpeg
    14A8D1CD-BFA2-4EDF-9B76-42CB14F21AFE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
   / 1739e front wheel drive broke #9  
Ok its been a while but I finally zeroed in on my problem. I could see the axle turnin through the fill cap hole on the right side so I pulled the left side final drive and found the axle had snapped inside the final drive. Parts are in at the dealer and fortunately a lot less than I was anticipating. The easy diagnosis was the side with less resistance wasn’t turnin all the gears to the axle shaft therefore it freewheeled much easier than the other side

Wow.. Thanks for the update!! Any idea what might have caused that?

Wow.. Thanks for the update!! Any idea what might have caused that?
Loose nut on the steering wheel and seat,haha. Was pullin little trees, pullin up on tree with the front loader created downward force on front end and enough traction for the weak point to reveal itself. Actually a pretty simple repair especially since I am already familiar with mechanical front wheel drive from John Deere units