Mowing 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower /

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #1  
Tractor
Yanmar 1700B
In the market for a mower, looking at 4 or 5 ft rough cut mowers at Northern tool.

I think the 1700 is about 19 hp and I have a 3 speed PTO.

Comments and suggestions. Thanks

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #2  
1st pto speed will give you the 540 rpm that mowers require. I think you have 17 pto horsepower. I think a 4' would match your tractor. If it is only light mowing you might handle a 5' but unless it is a light mower your front end may get light without some added weight. Curiosity, what is the difference between your ym1700b and a ym1700?

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #3  
1st pto speed will give you the 540 rpm that mowers require. I think you have 17 pto horsepower. I think a 4' would match your tractor. If it is only light mowing you might handle a 5' but unless it is a light mower your front end may get light without some added weight. Curiosity, what is the difference between your ym1700b and a ym1700?

The B has a water pump, steel fuel tank, gauges on the dash, larger side curtains, larger foot rest, and a few other things.

Danny

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower /
Danny is right about the B model. I do have an FEL so don't think I will get to light in front. Thinking better to go with the 4 ft, would rather not be under powered.

Any comments about the 4 ft mower sold by Northern tool, it's $649? Everything used seems to be arround $500, so new is more atractive to me.

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #5  
Just watch where it is made .. I bought a pressure washer from them ...great price.... made in China and no parts , not even a hose and nothing will bolt up to it so I have to do a lot fabrication to keep it running... I would buy a good "old" use bush hog.

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #6  
I bought this 5ft. Woods/Frontier used for 550.00$ 4 yrs. ago. Had to adress a few problems nothing major just Maint. belt and blades and it's been FANTASTIC.Works great on my YM2000 20 PTO. HP. It's Rear Discharge so unless the grass is extremely high no Windrows maybe some clumps depending on just how thick. IMO Rear discharge is the way to go ;)

Carey

Attachments

• tractor%252520022[1][1][1].jpg
    tractor%252520022[1][1][1].jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 148
   / 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #7  
terminology may be getting all mixed up here. When you speak of a rough cut mower I'm thinking rotary (brush hog style). These rear discharge are finish mowers. If you are talking finish mower I agree with Carey, rear discharge.

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #8  
If you mean rotary mower, one spindle with two heavy swinging blades, then 4 ft max is the standard recommendation for that tractor.

I run 4 ft on my YM186D (YM1510D) and it's all that tractor wants.

The same 4 ft mower on my YM240 (YM2000) works the tractor real hard going uphill in tall wet weeds but if I had only light conditions this tractor might handle a 5 ft version. Aside from the horsepower needed, 5 ft might be hard to lift also.

/ 1700B 4 or 5 ft mower / #9  
Winston is right about what you are planing on useing it for.My RFM.on myYM2000 in tall grass I just raise it up.The YM2500 has a 6ft. bush hog or Rough cut. It's only a couple of Months old Refurbished and the mower is new. In tall grass it does good job and you Definetly Know its back there but not even close to the cut of the RFM. IMO. 4ft. on a YM1700.

Carey