1538 3 point without pressure

/ 1538 3 point without pressure #11  
I must really be missing something here. What does a 3ph have to do with a backhoe?
Nothing except it may share the primary hydraulic pump.

My Kioti has a control that changes the 3pt hitch arm speed.
So does my old Ford--As does most tractors with draft control.

Back on the problem; Are any of those hoses for the BH supposed to be connected together when the BH is removed? Perhaps that's the method used for power beyond and robbing the 3PH. Just a thought.

Edit: Ops, I see where you mention that. Sorry. 🥵
Speaking of draft control--Are you sure you have the lift pin in the correct location? Some allow the 3PH to be locked with no draft control. Or lift for that matter.

Last edited:
   / 1538 3 point without pressure
Doughknob: This tractor came with a backhoe attached. When the backhoe is removed there are 3 lines left disconnected. Two of these lines have to be connected together for the 3 point to work, it is like a power beyond connection. The third line has a different connector so it can not be connected incorrectly.
CH4 and Kan: there is a knob under the seat. This is similar to what you are describing. I have seen others say this could be the problem as well as there is a youtube video of this being the problem. I have turned it back and forth several times with the tractor running and off but no response. I think that either the hoses are connected wrong (came with the wrong configuration of connectors) or the control knob has a valve that is not working.

Tinhack: thanks, the 3 point hitch can be lifted by hand and just falls right back down, no resistance, full up and down, the arms just stay in the down position all the time right now

I found some hydraulic diagrams on Mahindra website and will try to follow these next time I have a chance to look at the tractor. I also found a site that says how to check the speed valve (draft control knob)

/ 1538 3 point without pressure #14  
The knob is rate of drop, that's not what is wrong. The tank and PB lines are not right, the fitting must be wrong. Is the engine dropping rpm when you try and use the 3pt.and are any hoses moving at start up?

The knob is rate of drop, that's not what is wrong. The tank and PB lines are not right, the fitting must be wrong. Is the engine dropping rpm when you try and use the 3pt.and are any hoses moving at start up?
The engine RPM seem to drop when I unhook the 2 that are currently able to be connected. There is fluid present when they are unhooked and the engine is running. Sorry, but I don't remember if both have fluid whe in press the center pin or not. The one remaining hose has a smaller male connector. I did not check to see if fluid will come out of this hose with the engine running. I get no response with trying to raise or lower the 3 point. I have not watched the hoses when the engine is started. Thanks for the reply.

OK, so i got a few minutes to look at the tractor yesterday and chase the hoses. The hose in this diagram labeled 2 is a steel line that goes to a rubber line that stays disconnected when the backhoe is off of the tractor. Is this correct? the other two hoses going to the tractor that are connected togher go to the block pictured in the diagram. This is where the draft knob is located so I was thinking this needs hydraulic fluid/pressure? Any help would be appreciated. I won't be able to go back to look at the tractor until later this week.
Screenshot Mahindra.png

If I ever get this figured out I want to add 2 extra valves in the back with a 4 button joystick in the cab. Any hydraulics expert want to help me with this idea would be appreciated! I will then run lines up to the loader and be able to add a grapple. My FIL did this with his JD. The JD has the 2 factory ports in the back so he just ran lines from there to the loader and you control the open and close of the grapple with a lever. It is a little awkward but not bad and I use the grapple al the time.

/ 1538 3 point without pressure #18  
Just a couple of thoughts. Does your tractor have Draft control for 3pt? If so, try moving it up to see if it lets your 3pt raise.

It could be that you have a bad quick connect on the loop hose although I would think you would hear something if that was the case because the pump would dead head or blow over a relief somewhere.

Could you post pictures of your three quick connects on the tractor and a picture of your loop hose ends?

Thanks K5lwq. I have tried the control knob and nothing. I will post pics after this weekend. The tractor is 1.5 hour away and I only get there once a week. In the diagram above the #2 line is going to the valve block but right now on my tractor it is not connected to anything. This line #2 is just in front of the 3 point area connected by a banjo nut (#4 in the diagram) which is just behind and left of the draft control knob. In the diagram, it goes to the block for the hydraulic valves. I'm thinking this has to supply hydraulic fluid to the 3 point. The 2 other lines for the back hoe are connected and these make a loop to go back to the valve block. There are 2 male connections and one female, The male connections are 2 different sizes so they shouldn't be able to be hooked up wrong.

/ 1538 3 point without pressure #20  
I think we may be talking about two different things. The knob controls the rate of fall for the 3pt. The draft control would be another lever next to your 3pt lever. Not all tractors have it but if yours does it could be the cause of your issues.