12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #51  
Funny thing , I just raised mine ! Lots of work remaining but it’s up and time to recover it also
E69DB2F1-C428-4A5E-AADD-8AD0C81F7896.jpeg
2C743AB9-9974-4E41-A0EA-D48607E783DB.jpeg
4E31BE33-048A-4A0E-A8E1-5199F5C57A02.jpeg
6D68CCAB-D304-4F66-A18A-72158E639E5E.jpeg

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #52  
Hey guys,

I was hoping you gentlemen could help me out with a conundrum I am in. So about twenty years ago my father and uncle built a shed, my father tried to get a permit and they turned him down and said he would have to wait. Long story short he couldn't wait because my uncle was here and they were ready to build it. So now I am stuck in this situation with this building sitting up on blocks. The problem is that the building has started 'slipping' off the blocks in the front. The boards are starting to splinter and I obviously need to do something.

I use this building for my equipment like my Ferris that I use to mow. Anyway I am limited on what I can do and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I have talked to people about putting a slab of concrete down and moving it to the slab. However, the guy I talked to yesterday said there would be a good chance of it collapsing while trying to move it. It is also on 2x6 runners which complicates things further. So I run my Ferris in and out of this building all the time and we are getting close to mowing again so I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

1.) I was thinking about finding a neighbor with a large tractor and having them lift this side of the building putting a 4x4 or 6x4 post behind this area and driving lags or something in it to pull the structure back together.

2.) I was also thinking I may be able to accomplish this with a high lift jack or bottle jack. I have seen more people use bottle jacks so let me know if you guys have recommendations there.

3.) I have a guy that said he may be able to get it on his truck and move it to a slab of concrete that I have not decided on yet. I have also thought about looking for a guy with a mule which is a piece of equipment built for this.

Anyway before this get too crazy I would love to hear your guys thoughts.
Watch “Maine Cabin Masters”. They use bottle jacks and rebuild cabin infrastructures almost every time they rebuild a cabin.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention
Funny thing , I just raised mine ! Lots of work remaining but it’s up and time to recover it also
That is awesome.

1.) May I know whereabouts you live?

2.) What kind of compressor do you have? I am worried about my little garage one.

Your pictures tell the story but I would love to hear more. Like your overall thoughts on using this jack? Also a problem for me personally is it looks like my runners are going the opposite way of yours. So I would have to go from the front to back, unless I do some other reinforcement. Also the back of the building is also basically in the ground now. So that is a problem.

I also know another user already recommended it but this is an awesome idea because it looks like you can set your footer beside the building and begin you support before you even try to lift the structure.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #54  
Screw jacks work best for this kind of job, especially if you need to leave it for any length of time. No chance of creep and you can leave them in there as long as you need to.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #55  
Hey guys,

I was hoping you gentlemen could help me out with a conundrum I am in. So about twenty years ago my father and uncle built a shed, my father tried to get a permit and they turned him down and said he would have to wait. Long story short he couldn't wait because my uncle was here and they were ready to build it. So now I am stuck in this situation with this building sitting up on blocks. The problem is that the building has started 'slipping' off the blocks in the front. The boards are starting to splinter and I obviously need to do something.

I use this building for my equipment like my Ferris that I use to mow. Anyway I am limited on what I can do and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I have talked to people about putting a slab of concrete down and moving it to the slab. However, the guy I talked to yesterday said there would be a good chance of it collapsing while trying to move it. It is also on 2x6 runners which complicates things further. So I run my Ferris in and out of this building all the time and we are getting close to mowing again so I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

1.) I was thinking about finding a neighbor with a large tractor and having them lift this side of the building putting a 4x4 or 6x4 post behind this area and driving lags or something in it to pull the structure back together.

2.) I was also thinking I may be able to accomplish this with a high lift jack or bottle jack. I have seen more people use bottle jacks so let me know if you guys have recommendations there.

3.) I have a guy that said he may be able to get it on his truck and move it to a slab of concrete that I have not decided on yet. I have also thought about looking for a guy with a mule which is a piece of equipment built for this.

Anyway before this get too crazy I would love to hear your guys thoughts.
Hi Hexa Fox, whatever you decide to do, DO NOT get under this shed, while it's in the present condition. I'm sort of amazed that it hasn't self-destructed just from running the mower in and out. There's some good ideas posted on here for repairing it, but I recommend that you get someone who has at least some experience doing this type work to do the repairs, you can help them.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention
Screw jacks work best for this kind of job, especially if you need to leave it for any length of time. No chance of creep and you can leave them in there as long as you need to.
Hi Hexa Fox, whatever you decide to do, DO NOT get under this shed, while it's in the present condition. I'm sort of amazed that it hasn't self-destructed just from running the mower in and out. There's some good ideas posted on here for repairing it, but I recommend that you get someone who has at least some experience doing this type work to do the repairs, you can help them.
Yeah I have a couple friends that are knowledgeable, now the only problem is getting one of them to agree to help lol. Also yeah I saw the screw jacks are the way to go for a job like this. I really like the look of what Death Row Dave has going on. It would allow me to pour footers where I want them and get setup before even doing anything. My problem is I am probably going to be forced to go front to back because of how my runners are.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #57  
My joists are all setting on the new 2x12 (2) laminated beam , supported by 6x6 posts 3 ft into soil with 3 ft square of cement around them . I doubled all floor joists 2x8 while I had the building up . I finished mine today . I’ll get images tomorrow .

I used 30 ton air jacks . Cribbed up the structure , with RR ties as I was lifting in case of a fall . I used a 6 x 6 actors the front to support the jacks and raise the front .

I’m in NKy , south of the Mason Dixon Line . PM with contact info , you you’d like to discuss in pvt . Safety is of the upmost , importance . You can build a new building , but you can’t replace your losses

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #58  
Finished raising , residing and cleanup next .
2CD110F2-4A97-4FD9-AD0E-40D25BA46D15.jpeg
263ADE7C-6E8C-42CE-981E-912D5C987621.jpeg

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #59  
Just need to get the right equipment.

house-move-steam-tractor.jpg

Bruce

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #60  
I second the idea of "do *NOT* get under this thing".

About 60 years ago (lord, where did the time go?) I saved a guy's life.

He was putting a Hurst floor shift into a 1957 Ford (game sound familiar?) and had it jacked up with ONE bumper jack on an asphalt driveway and he had the rear wheels off.

I just happened to stop by a minute or so earlier and sat down on the curb to watch, and I saw the car start to move. "Mike! Get out! It's Moving!"

He didn't stop to ask any questions, and shoved himself out immediately.

About a second later the car crashed to the ground, leaving maybe two inches between the driveway and the steel frame of the car.

If that wasn't an "Oh s**t" moment, I don't know what would be.

To this day, I am reluctant to crawl under things. When I do work on stuff, I use multiple jackstands, slide the tires and wheels under the car (belt and suspenders approach), brakes set, wheels blocked and work on a concrete floor - no dirt or asphalt floors.

Be careful. There are no exceptions to the law of gravity. None.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida