12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #1  

Hexa Fox

Silver Member
Tractor
Wishing
Hey guys,

I was hoping you gentlemen could help me out with a conundrum I am in. So about twenty years ago my father and uncle built a shed, my father tried to get a permit and they turned him down and said he would have to wait. Long story short he couldn't wait because my uncle was here and they were ready to build it. So now I am stuck in this situation with this building sitting up on blocks. The problem is that the building has started 'slipping' off the blocks in the front. The boards are starting to splinter and I obviously need to do something.

I use this building for my equipment like my Ferris that I use to mow. Anyway I am limited on what I can do and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I have talked to people about putting a slab of concrete down and moving it to the slab. However, the guy I talked to yesterday said there would be a good chance of it collapsing while trying to move it. It is also on 2x6 runners which complicates things further. So I run my Ferris in and out of this building all the time and we are getting close to mowing again so I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

1.) I was thinking about finding a neighbor with a large tractor and having them lift this side of the building putting a 4x4 or 6x4 post behind this area and driving lags or something in it to pull the structure back together.

2.) I was also thinking I may be able to accomplish this with a high lift jack or bottle jack. I have seen more people use bottle jacks so let me know if you guys have recommendations there.

3.) I have a guy that said he may be able to get it on his truck and move it to a slab of concrete that I have not decided on yet. I have also thought about looking for a guy with a mule which is a piece of equipment built for this.

Anyway before this get too crazy I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

Attachments

• Image (1).jpeg
    Image (1).jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,360
  • Image (2).jpeg
    Image (2).jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,364
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1,357
   / 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #2  
I think you're on the right track with lifting and reinforcing / repairing the base. I think several bottle jacks then cribbing would be better than using a tractor loader to lift it up.
Moving that shed would be risky imho.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #4  
My 12 x 16 shed that was here when I bought the place was built on concrete corner pads, 4 each side and was going all wonky. It wasn't spreading apart just up and down like a yo-yo and I had to level it up before I sided it. I used a couple of jackalls and picked up each side one at a time about a foot or so, levelled it up with gravel and used some creasoted 8 x 8 that I had...ahhhh...obtained to put under the sill each side. Worked like a top.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #6  
Have you got stuff stored in it? Does it have a floor? If there''s a floor remove everything from the shed before jacking. How it's jacked may twist it at an angle. If you can raise it you can block it or pour a concrete footer to let it sit on.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention
Have you got stuff stored in it? Does it have a floor? If there''s a floor remove everything from the shed before jacking. How it's jacked may twist it at an angle. If you can raise it you can block it or pour a concrete footer to let it sit on.
Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, yes it has a ton of stuff in it. However, I obviously plan to remove the majority of it before attempting anything. Also yes it does have a floor.

Also I am not good when it comes to understanding a lot of construction stuff. When I think of a concrete footer I think of a concrete base with something like a 4x4 coming out of it. So in my case would I lay the footer where I think I needed it, keep the building jacked up while it dries then sit it directly on the concrete base? I'm also not sure how strong it will be because I think this side of the building is about 2' off the ground give or take an inch. So whatever form I got with would have to stick up that high and go below the frost line here.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention
If mine I would use 4x4", automotive floor jack, sledge hammer, 6"screws, 12" corner straps, and concrete pyramid pilings
I also thought about this. You are basically talking about brackets to pull the structure back together right? Like I said, I am not the greatest when it comes to construction so what do you place on the piling it if the piling itself is not big enough? The 4x4? I would like for it to sit on something with a larger base.
EDIT
A potentially dumb idea that I had was to run the heavier duty straps all the way around the shed and attempt to pull it back together then put said 4x4 behind it and secure it. Do you guys think this has a chance of working? How about if I jack the building up? Dumb still??

Last edited:
   / 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #9  
I would use the 4x4" diagonally at the corner under the floor and use the floor jack to lift. Use sledge to bring corner together and use screws to hold it and put corner strap to keep it there. Do this for all corners. Since you say it was not 'permitted' with the pyramid blocks it would/could be concidered temporary.

/ 12x16 Shed Sitting on Blocks Needs Attention #10  
I also thought about this. You are basically talking about brackets to pull the structure back together right? Like I said, I am not the greatest when it comes to construction so what do you place on the piling it if the piling itself is not big enough? The 4x4? I would like for it to sit on something with a larger base.
EDIT
A potentially dumb idea that I had was to run the heavier duty straps all the way around the shed and attempt to pull it back together then put said 4x4 behind it and secure it. Do you guys think this has a chance of working? How about if I jack the building up? Dumb still??
I would place a jack under each corner (red arrows) about 16-24” (aiming for a floor joist intersection) off the corner, lifting it high enough to remove the brick and broken cinder block. Replace those with some 12” patio blocks and put either Simpson strongtie A44 or A66 connectors on the corners to pull them back together.
A8F5E5ED-5A0C-49EA-A986-3E8D48402D2D.jpeg