12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
I recently purchased a new trailer and the 12k jack has such a low gear ratio, I found myself cranking it 60 times to get it on/off my truck, so I wanted to create a drill adapter. In the 12 years I have had a trailer, I have never had a reason to unhitch it with something still on the trailer, so I'm not sure if this would work under load or not, but for my unloaded use, it works just fine. I did a mock up first just as a proof of concept.

trailer_drill_attachment_mockup.jpg

Once that worked successfully I made it smaller for the finished product, just using a 1 inch diameter threaded pipe at 3 inches in length with a hole drilled through the middle which lines up with the factory hole for the stock handle, a 1 inch end cap, and a threaded rod coupling nut and bolt/lock washer. I had the right size bolt laying around, not sure what size it is, but the head is 3/4 which is the largest deep well socket I could fit inside the pipe to tighten it, so that was nice. Everything is put together with red locktite and an impact wrench. If need be I can have a neighbor weld it, but it does not seem to require much force in use.

trailer_drill_attachment.jpg

Obviously the opposite handle needs to be removed before use, but this is what it looks like mounted. Handle stays with the trailer in the storage compartment.

trailer_drill_attachment_final.jpg

Last edited:
   / 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #2  
Practical, inexpensive, I like it!

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #3  
I welded up a similar adapter a while back. I just got tired of cranking that jack.

20220206_185738.jpg

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter
That's real nice, I was looking for some type of yoke like that, but wasn't having any luck.

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #5  
What type of impact tool are you using to power it? 1/2", 1/4", 12v, 20v, etc.??

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #6  
What type of impact tool are you using to power it? 1/2", 1/4", 12v, 20v, etc.??
My choice would be one that can do lug nuts too (just in case) :rolleyes:

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #7  
My choice would be one that can do lug nuts too (just in case)
I always carry a 20V 1/2" impact with me when I'm towing. It is priceless if you have to change a tire. But I'm curious about which tool he is using since a friend tried using the same impact I have on his GN jack and it would not work. The impact gun is the highest torque rated impact DeWalt makes.

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #8  
I bet you could sell those on line for $50.
I’d buy one.
I think an impact might vibrate the gears in the jack too much?
Maybe better with a low speed 1/2” cordless drill? Like an electricians drill, but 20V cordless?

/ 12k Trailer Jack Drill Adapter #9  
I might copy this...

An impact driver is going to cause a lot more wear & tear than a drill. Hammering on precision parts & mild steel deforms them pretty quickly. Not sure if gears in a jack qualify as precision or are made out of some kind of hardenable steel, but the principle still stands.