1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
Currently have 61K on this set of original tires. While the tread is holding up extremely well, the truck/tires have been sitting outside for the last 4 years, and as the pics show, lots of weather checking going on.
Looking for opinions on how far I can push these tires? I was thinking of definitely replacing at 70K, but concerned with the checking. Just did a 1000 mile trip (rare unloaded no trailer) with no problems.
However, 2 trips coming up in April with small and big trailers, so cause for concern.
Looking for recommendations on "the best" highway rubber out there. Rarely offroad, although have used the 4wd a few times to get me out of a pinch. Would prefer hiway tread to improve mileage, any little improvement would help. To this end, also considering going to a larger tire size, to reduce rpm and gear ratio.....just as a fuel saver. Nothing radical.
Does anyone know what tire size I can go up to with this size rim?? My current axle ratio is 4:10.
Thanks in advance for any & all input....

Attachments

• feb2011 014.jpg
    feb2011 014.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 424
  • feb2011 015.jpg
    feb2011 015.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 337
  • feb2011 016.jpg
    feb2011 016.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 354
   / 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #2  
Currently have 61K on this set of original tires. While the tread is holding up extremely well, the truck/tires have been sitting outside for the last 4 years, and as the pics show, lots of weather checking going on.
Looking for opinions on how far I can push these tires? I was thinking of definitely replacing at 70K, but concerned with the checking. Just did a 1000 mile trip (rare unloaded no trailer) with no problems.
However, 2 trips coming up in April with small and big trailers, so cause for concern.
Looking for recommendations on "the best" highway rubber out there. Rarely offroad, although have used the 4wd a few times to get me out of a pinch. Would prefer hiway tread to improve mileage, any little improvement would help. To this end, also considering going to a larger tire size, to reduce rpm and gear ratio.....just as a fuel saver. Nothing radical.
Does anyone know what tire size I can go up to with this size rim?? My current axle ratio is 4:10.
Thanks in advance for any & all input....

Would like to advise but how old are the tires? What is your truck?

The 11 year old OEM Firestones on my GMC 2500 show the same type of sidewall checking in the bead area but with only 38,000 miles on them the members here advised me not to replace mine as I am a very low mileage driver. Asked about your truck in part because if it's a newer one you may run into problems with the on board computer if you try to upsize the tires.

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations
Would like to advise but how old are the tires? What is your truck?

The 11 year old OEM Firestones on my GMC 2500 show the same type of sidewall checking in the bead area but with only 38,000 miles on them the members here advised me not to replace mine as I am a very low mileage driver. Asked about your truck in part because if it's a newer one you may run into problems with the on board computer if you try to upsize the tires.

Ooops sorry, I guess that would help......I was trying to be impartial to brand, but should've mentioned at least the year....! 2006 F-350.

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #4  
Ooops sorry, I guess that would help......I was trying to be impartial to brand, but should've mentioned at least the year....! 2006 F-350.

My tires have been kept inside most of the time (no sunlight hits them there) and every spring I clean the brake dust off the sidewalls in side and out and apply two coats of Protect-All, yet I still have that tiny cracking in the sidewall area. I may be wrong but I think in that part of the tire the rubber is the thinnest so it will show cracking first. Anybody else agree with me there? They say tires should be replaced at 6 years old regardless of how they look but I am too CHEAP to spend $800 on new rubber for a truck driven less than 2,000 miles a year.

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #5  
There is a thread here on page 4 (2/21/2011) about towing vehicle tire life...if I knew how to post a link to it I would.

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #6  
My experience is replace them when you are concerned. I have went too long and had a blow out pulling heavy loads. Pain in the butt to change and tough to find a tire shop open on the weekends with what I need in stock. So I think you answered your own question on that one.

As for brands, I have not had a dually since the late 90's to drive. I have had real good luck though out of BFG, Dunlop, Hankook, Firestone, ect.

Had bad luck out of Carlisle, Continental, Michelin, and Goodyear.

Just my personal experience.

Chris

Last edited:
   / 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #7  
I've only bought Michelins the last 20 years or so and they have been great.
Just wish they made trailer tires!

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations
OK, got 1 vote for Michelin, 1 non-vote for Michelin......any more input for Michelin?
I've "heard" they're one of the premier truck tires......

/ 1 Ton Dually New Tire Recommendations #10