Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,181  
I finished the swinging doors and latch on the east end of my splitting shed yesterday. I wasn’t sure how those big heavy doors were going to swing, after I cut thru the center of the cross members with my sawzall, but they work pretty slick.

The little Ryobi 18 volt saw is laying on the beam on the left. That thing works pretty good but draws down the battery a lot faster than my drill.
View attachment 856611

View attachment 856612

It’s probably going to be a few weeks before I can get back on this project. Next up is enclosing the west end and installing a window and man door there.

Those 200 year old American Chestnut boards that I recovered from the roofs of my great great grandad’s old barns are nice to work with. They have a nice smell when I cut them, and I like the color. I also used one of the hickory pegs from those barns, that I pulled out of a hand hewn beam, for the handle on the new latch.

I’ve got plenty of that left to finish the enclosure of the splitting shed (far end and half of the dividing wall between the new 24 face cord capacity woodshed on the left.

I like it wolc123. Especially the door latch. That is some nice looking solid old lumber for sure !

The last couple mornings the ground was stiff enough for a few hours that I could start blocking up the wood I pulled out last winter. By 10, coffee time, it was to soft already. Another messy day today - heavy wet snow mixed with rain. Weighted down branches, never had so many down branches as this year.

24_3_9.jpg

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,182  
I like it wolc123. Especially the door latch. That is some nice looking solid old lumber for sure !

gg
Along with most of the roofing boards, I saved almost all of the siding and interior boards, and about 2/3 of the sawed rafters and hand-hewn posts and beams from the two 1880’s 36’ x 46’ x 16’ timber framed barns that I took down. The remaining third was too rotted to be of much use.

I’ve used quite a bit of it in and around my new pole barn, and still have a lot stored up in the loft that I built in there using it.

This was the last one, while I was in the process of taking it down. You can see the new pole barn (before I added the woodshed on back), thru its skeleton:

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

I tried pulling that old barn down to the south, with my largest tractor and a snatch block (to double my pull) but the main cross-beam) to which I attached the 1/2” wire rope to, snapped.

That resulted in the old barn falling to the north, right towards the west side porch of my new pole barn. It came within 1/4” of striking that porch when it fell. I had made that porch 25 ft long, rather than the full 50 ft length of the pole barn, just in case that it fell the way it was leaning, rather than the opposite direction, like I tried to pull it. Turned out to be a good move:
IMG_0786.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,183  

The last couple mornings the ground was stiff enough for a few hours that I could start blocking up the wood I pulled out last winter. By 10, coffee time, it was to soft already. Another messy day today - heavy wet snow mixed with rain. Weighted down branches, never had so many down branches as this year.

View attachment 856624

gg
Weighted down branches, never had so many down branches as this year.
Same here,this last storm of heavy wet snow 9" uprooted 2 spruces lot of branches limbs broke. 🙄

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,184  
I notice that often I give the saw a little rev before I start a cut. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I can't hear the saw and want to make sure it's running or subconsciously I am trying to irk arrow
Shouldn't the saw be running WOT before you start the cut?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,186  
Along with most of the roofing boards, I saved almost all of the siding and interior boards, and about 2/3 of the sawed rafters and hand-hewn posts and beams from the two 1880’s 36’ x 46’ x -6’ timber framed barns that I took down. The remaining third was too rotted to be of much use.

I’ve used quite a bit of it in and around my new pole barn, and still have a lot stored up in the loft that I built in there using it.

This was the last one, while I was in the process of taking it down. You can see the new pole barn (before I added the woodshed on back), thru its skeleton:

View attachment 856656

View attachment 856657

I tried pulling that old barn down to the south, with my largest tractor and a snatch block (to double my pull) but the main cross-beam) to which I attached the 1/2” wire rope to, snapped.

That resulted in the old barn falling to the north, right towards the west side porch of my new pole barn. It came within 1/4” of striking that porch when it fell. I had made that porch 25 ft long, rather than the full 50 ft length of the pole barn, just in case that it fell the way it was leaning, rather than the opposite direction, like I tried to pull it. Turned out to be a good move:
View attachment 856660
Super demo and subsequent build wolc.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,189  
I should've thought of that ... time change, it's been a long day ... so I second for No to that, I make sure my saw runs well (warmed up) before start cutting and my gas impute starts just a few seconds before going in the wood (almost simultaneity) and I will go to full throttle while I cut only if I need too, but its not something I think about while cutting, I even had to think on what I do. My throttle imputes are synchronize with my arms motion in conjunctions of the chain RPM. That would be the best way to explain it.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,190  
If they made a machine that could stack wood, l would have bought one.
I have such a contraption. I do not touch wood until I carry it from the garage to the house. Working alone, I can do a cord in 3 hours or less.

Pocessor and bulk bag.jpg