Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,161  
W
My log pile is almost gone and my splitter is going to be getting a long rest after this. View attachment 855933View attachment 855934
Whats your predominant wood?
I think what takes the most time developing firewood is stacking it.
Eliminate stacking and it’s about half the work.
The best place to split firewood to eliminate stacking is in a green house with a cement floor that has grooves in the cement to facilitate air movement at the bottom
The disadvantage is the additional space needed for unstacked wood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,162  
W

The best place to split firewood to eliminate stacking is in a green house with a cement floor that has grooves in the cement to facilitate air movement at the bottom

I try to only haul in oak. There’s a good bit of maple in that stack that the tree guys dumped. Moving the split pieces of wood sucks. A conveyor off the end of the splitter would be a big work saver.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,163  
I try to only haul in oak. There’s a good bit of maple in that stack that the tree guys dumped. Moving the split pieces of wood sucks. A conveyor off the end of the splitter would be a big work saver.
That’s how we loaded our 2.5 cord stake body.
Giant help.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,164  
W

What you ought to do is turn that negative “stacking” into a positive. The key there is having a properly designed place to stack it. Do that, and you may find the stacking (and unstacking) to be the most pleasurable part of the firewood operation.

I have certainly found that to be the case, since I mostly completed my new 24 face cord capacity woodshed. Prior to that, especially when I had my firewood stored outside, on pallets and covered by tarps, stacking and unstacking that firewood was pure drudgery, and certainly took most of the fun out of the process.

Now, that job is very enjoyable, night (note the floor lamp I recently added out there) or day. Since I work in a factory full time by day, most of my firewood fetching thru the winter is done at night.

One of the keys to a good stacking area is relatively narrow rows (mine are 6 ft wide), and full and solid support on both sides. I stack the rows about 8 ft high on the north peak. The south side of the woodshed is open, to the prevailing wind and dominant sun direction (good for drying).

The wide overhang is nice for unloading my tractor bucket full of firewood on rainy days. My tractor has a canopy on it and I do most of my splitting in the “soon to be enclosed” porch, to the north of the woodshed.

I use an average of (6) face cords per winter, to heat our well insulated 2000 sq ft, L-shaped ranch house, way up North near the Canadian border. The woodshed holds (4) years supply and is set up so that I burn first, what goes in first. I like to season the wood (predominately ash with some cherry, maple, and oak) at least (2) years, after it’s cut and split, so (4) years capacity on the woodshed works well.
IMG_3988.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,165  
The woodshed holds (4) years supply and is set up so that I burn last, what goes in first.
If that is the case, how do you ever get to the older wood? Or did you mean that you burn first what goes in first?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,166  
What you ought to do is turn that negative “stacking” into a positive. The key there is having a properly designed place to stack it. Do that, and you may find the stacking (and unstacking) to be the most pleasurable part of the firewood operation.

I have certainly found that to be the case, since I mostly completed my new 24 face cord capacity woodshed. Prior to that, especially when I had my firewood stored outside, on pallets and covered by tarps, stacking and unstacking that firewood was pure drudgery, and certainly took most of the fun out of the process.

Now, that job is very enjoyable, night (note the floor lamp I recently added out there) or day. Since I work in a factory full time by day, most of my firewood fetching thru the winter is done at night.

One of the keys to a good stacking area is relatively narrow rows (mine are 6 ft wide), and full and solid support on both sides. I stack the rows about 8 ft high on the north peak. The south side of the woodshed is open, to the prevailing wind and dominant sun direction (good for drying).

The wide overhang is nice for unloading my tractor bucket full of firewood on rainy days. My tractor has a canopy on it and I do most of my splitting in the “soon to be enclosed” porch, to the north of the woodshed.

I use an average of (6) face cords per winter, to heat our well insulated 2000 sq ft, L-shaped ranch house, way up North near the Canadian border. The woodshed holds (4) years supply and is set up so that I burn last, what goes in first. I like to season the wood (predominately ash with some cherry, maple, and oak) at least (2) years, after it’s cut and split, so (4) years capacity on the woodsh

I use an average of (6) face cords per winter, to heat our well insulated 2000 sq ft, L-shaped ranch house, way up North near the Canadian border. The woodshed holds (4) years supply and is set up so that I burn last, what goes in first. I like to season the wood (predominately ash with some cherry, maple, and oak) at least (2) years, after it’s cut and split, so (4) years capacity on the woodshed works well.
View attachment 856232
Agree attitude is everything. But l can’t seem to lose the logger thing of “production time is everything” drummed into my head as a pup.
l stack single row about 5 full cords long.
l let this sit outside for 2 years ( red oak) and then move the whole shebang into the wood shed that only holds 5 cord.
l’m touching this wood too much hence my aversion to stacking.
l’ve tried pallets, containers and just dumping the splits into the shed.
Every other way makes my impatient self nuts so to take my mind off of my frailty, l stack it twice. Does this make sense?
(Thats a rhetorical).

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,169  
My two least favorite things about dealing with firewood: clearing the brush out of my way after felling and limbing a tree and stacking.

It's always a bonus when I can drop the tree somewhere that I can just leave the limbs where they land. As for stacking: if I have to do much stacking above about 4 feet high, it aggravates an old wrestling injury in my neck and upper back, often requiring a trip or two to the chiropractor within the next few days.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,170  
That’s how we loaded our 2.5 cord stake body.
Giant help.

I’ve looked forever for one at a price I liked. Conveyors are expensive.