You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,621  
Our DIL told my wife their daughter deserved to go to Disney Land and they were planning a trip.

My wife asked "Why does she deserve to go, does she do laundry, clean up after the dog, load the dishwasher, exactly what does she do to deserve the trip". That really upset the DIL, she stomped off with out an answer.

Our granddaughter does nothing beyond social media and has NO responsibilities and that is a major problem in today's environment a lot of parents are not parenting.

Our son should know better he grew up with responsibilities but, happy wife, happy life.
Can't stand that saying.
Obviously your son's wife isn't happy and will never have enough. Your wife rightfully called the DIL on her delusions.
Happy spouse, Happy House.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,622  
In the process of replacing my 16 or so year old Mac desktop.

Never once in that 16 years have I ever had an issue with that desktop.

Only reason why I'm replacing it is the software is finally not available to update after we already updated

Yup. They are bulletproof compared to the components used in most PCs. I have an ancient Mac IIsi (from about 1990) set up in my basement, connected to an ImageWriter dot-matrix printer. Still works fine. Original keyboard and mouse. Same with an old Mac Powerbook laptop. But today's software just doesn't run well with that old architecture and only 1mb of RAM.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,623  
When I worked in I.T. we had just as many Mac hardware failures as we did PC hardware failures. But way fewer OS and applications issues. Mostly, the PCs were used for daily business and machine controls, while the Macs were mostly used for graphics, photos, etc.

Also, Macs did not play well with Windows based networks, storage, active directory, etc. You know... all that fancy stuff that corporations have to use to function.

That started changing in the years before I left. Plus, cloud computing you can do from about anything. You're just using a virtual desktop that could be hosted in Timbuktu.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,624  
I certainly don't miss the old mechanical hard drives on computers. The last one I had to 9 minutes to boot up and be ready to use. I have a desktop running my security cameras and a laptop that I use for everything else, both Windows 11. I logged into my router a few days ago and was surprised that I am up to 27 network devices.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,625  
I certainly don't miss the old mechanical hard drives on computers. The last one I had to 9 minutes to boot up and be ready to use. I have a desktop running my security cameras and a laptop that I use for everything else, both Windows 11. I logged into my router a few days ago and was surprised that I am up to 27 network devices.
9 minutes to boot up is probably not a physical hard drive issue, but a well-fragmented, no free-space, no contiguous free space, messed up swap file kinda thing.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,626  
9 minutes to boot up is probably not a physical hard drive issue, but a well-fragmented, no free-space, no contiguous free space, messed up swap file kinda thing.
That one was a company laptop and probably all you say plus layers of corporate mandated software to keep it running trouble free. Truth is it would lock up regularly yet the IT guy was the only one who was allowed to do anything with it. At least it gave me 9 minute breaks from online meetings and excuses for missing new company initiatives. Sorry boss, your company issued laptop must have been rebooting when you told us that. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,627  
Also, Macs did not play well with Windows based networks, storage, active directory, etc. You know... all that fancy stuff that corporations have to use to function.

This is still a big problem with Macs, much as I love them. With me, it is GPS programs. I'm the guy our Search and Rescue team relies on to create tracks, waypoints, etc. when we are on a search. As far as I know, not one GPS program is written to work well with a Mac. You have to use an emulator and that introduces its own set of problems.

And no such thing as depending on the "cloud" when doing SAR. Most times, at least here in northern Nevada, we are where there is no internet and no cell service. So it has to be done on the computer itself.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,628  
This is still a big problem with Macs, much as I love them. With me, it is GPS programs. I'm the guy our Search and Rescue team relies on to create tracks, waypoints, etc. when we are on a search. As far as I know, not one GPS program is written to work well with a Mac. You have to use an emulator and that introduces its own set of problems.

And no such thing as depending on the "cloud" when doing SAR. Most times, at least here in northern Nevada, we are where there is no internet and no cell service. So it has to be done on the computer itself.
Ahh, yes. Remote work. Everything has to be on the computer before you leave. Everything you gather has to be updated to corporate when you return so they are synched.

Emulators... eeks. If you want me to use a PC, get me a PC. 🙃

I did like virtual desktops in the office environment. They just needed a desktop to be able to run a browser. All software updates were done on the server.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,630  
We purposely spent $650 on change dispensers connected to the pos (point of sale/register) to avoid confused uneducated staff making change. The manager fills it and the staff have to hand out the bills the pos tells them to give. We must make it easy or they'll be giving wrong change their whole shift.
Says a lot about US education. A whole lot.
And what is that? That schools don't teach mostly outmoded skills? Every cash register made in the last 50 years has the cashier enter the amount tendered, and then it calculates change.