You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,642  
You may not have used a fountain pen in school but your desk still had the round hole cut in it to hold the inkwell.
I recall in grade school one year a nun had a hankering for nostalgia I guess, and we were required to get fountain pens for handwriting class.

They had cartridges. No fountains. So why did they call them fountain pens? Teacher told me to stop asking questions. :ROFLMAO:

And even without fountains, they caused a great mess and we were eventually told to stop bringing them to class. 🙃

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,643  
If a contractor copped an attitude like that towards me, I'd look for another contractor. Part of being in business is being available when it's convenient for your (potential) customers.

Where do you live that good Friday is considered a holiday?
Stock market is closed on Good Friday.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,644  
Surprised they run at all. I'd read that when Apple went with their current architecture (OS-10?) basically any pre-existing software would not run on the new OS.

Or a LOT of startup stuff. Seems like every program likes to put itself in the startup menu, whether it needs to be running all the time or not. Not to mention programs (like antivirus, etc.) that check in with the mothership for updates and do them immediately, also slowing down the machine.
When I replaced the mechanical HD in my laptop with a SSD, it booted in maybe 60% of the time.
I've never met a PC with a HD that I could not speed up the boot time significantly by running a good defragger that optimizes the hard drive and consolidates contiguous space. After that, I deleted the swap file and defrag again. Then I set the size of the swap file to a fixed size depending on the RAM in the system.

Fragmented swap files on HDs are a major source of slow downs.

Windows is a non-elegant operating system. It never puts anything back where it got it from, and the only reason it works at all is because processor speeds have increased every year and it's enough to keep up with the massive task of looking for file fragments and putting them back together every time they're needed.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,645  
Along with age comes new problems, my furnace located in the attic with access in a closet quit working.
To repair furnace. First empty closet (major job), get ladder, climb up through a small access hole and fix it. I "think" I can get up into the attic but I know I'll never get back down. At my age (85) you loose your flexibility, getting up and down can be a problem and living alone I can't take to many chances.
First time I have ever had to have someone come to my house to fix anything.
$545 for parts, $150 service call, $169 technician time plus tax.
Cost to repair $864.39 something I could have done for less than $350.

You know your old when you brain says, you can do it, but your body says, no you can't.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,646  
I'm thinking im just around some helpless people...

A lady up the street had no heat for several days... simple pilot light. We had fast to 100 mph in the Bay that night and PGE was out days for pilot relights.

I also see differences in MDs and Nurses from when I started.

We use to have lots of military docs and nurses were old school.

The new ones are very book smart but require a lot of support... don't know a better way to say it.

The military guys could handle anything and well versed say on every kind of anestesia machine... now they often only know one... say GE for example.

It's like what do you do when the electronic record keeping goes down?

Military Docs and Nurses I've work with have a higher problem solving skill set and do well under pressure.
Our oldest was renting one side of a duplex in PA for several years. Her furnace was in her garage on the lowest level. If she opened her garage door on a windy day, the pilot light would go out. It happened so often that she got tired of calling the landlord and asked me to talk her through it over the phone so she could do it herself. So, I had her take a couple pictures and send it to me, then put me on speaker phone and I told her how to do it. She did well and never had to call the landlord again.

Similarly, her battery died in her Subaru. I talked her through the removal process with a few pictures and she got it out and took it to Autozone for testing. It was bad. She bought a new one and put it back in herself.

I showed her how to change a tire. She changed them about 4-5 times over the years. Either PA has really bad roads, or she's smacking curbs! :ROFLMAO:

Her last flat, she was dropping some paperwork off at a government office and when she came out, she had a flat. She jacked up the car, removed the tire, didn't notice she was on a hill, and the car rolled a bit and fell off the jack. She was not injured, but was not sure what to do at that point. She noticed the police station next to the government office, walked over and asked if they could recommend a tow truck. They walked her over to the fire department next door, and boy, 4 firemen hopped in their truck, drove over to her car and used her situation for a "training exercise" to deploy their air lift bags and change her tire for her. (helps she's cute)

I asked if she was OK with that blatant display of testosterone and she said "Heck yeah!" :ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,647  
You know you're getting old when you go to a restaurant and are served by third generation members of families who's young grandparents once served you.
Yep.

Also, it's the third generation of family that runs the funeral home that your family uses.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,649  
I helped a repair man work on a stacked washer/dryer unit in an apartment today. 5 years ago, we worked on the same unit. Today, I could not fit behind that same unit like I did 5 years ago.

I guess that's not getting old technically... just wider. 🙃

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,650  
I helped a repair man work on a stacked washer/dryer unit in an apartment today. 5 years ago, we worked on the same unit. Today, I could not fit behind that same unit like I did 5 years ago.

I guess that's not getting old technically... just wider. 🙃
The Battle Of The Bulge. :cool: