Ram Truck Question

/ Ram Truck Question #11  
How you like yours? I’m real happy with my 2020 and 51,000 miles.
Mine is the Cummins Diesel.

I had a rough start. I think mine was formerly used by a HotShot driver that spent a lot of time idling while he slept at a rest stop. I came to that conclusion after talking with the service guy when I had the DPF replaced. We looked at the engine hours and the "idle time was high"

Long story short, after owning the truck about 32 days, I got a message that the DPF filter was full and to take it to the dealer.

They covered it under warranty. Only issue was that it took a month to get the replacement filter.

Couldn't be happier with the dealer. They provided a rental and a loaner.

After that, all has been great. Only thing is I am constantly on the watch for the DPF to get full and worried I'll be 5 minutes from my destination and get the "DPF regen keep driving" message (which I got once before mine said to take it to the dealer.

Nice truck. Pulls great. Very comfortable. Good mileage.

My last diesel, a 1999 Ram, didn't have any of that DEF or DPF crap. This is all new to me.

/ Ram Truck Question #12  
Mine is the Cummins Diesel.

I had a rough start. I think mine was formerly used by a HotShot driver that spent a lot of time idling while he slept at a rest stop. I came to that conclusion after talking with the service guy when I had the DPF replaced. We looked at the engine hours and the "idle time was high"

Long story short, after owning the truck about 32 days, I got a message that the DPF filter was full and to take it to the dealer.

They covered it under warranty. Only issue was that it took a month to get the replacement filter.

Couldn't be happier with the dealer. They provided a rental and a loaner.

After that, all has been great. Only thing is I am constantly on the watch for the DPF to get full and worried I'll be 5 minutes from my destination and get the "DPF regen keep driving" message (which I got once before mine said to take it to the dealer.

Nice truck. Pulls great. Very comfortable. Good mileage.

My last diesel, a 1999 Ram, didn't have any of that DEF or DPF crap. This is all new to me.

On your steering wheel, there’s a menu where you can see how full your DPF is.
Mine never gets more than a few percent because I never idle and I run mine hard with towing.

/ Ram Truck Question #13  
On your steering wheel, there’s a menu where you can see how full your DPF is.
Mine never gets more than a few percent because I never idle and I run mine hard with towing.
Thanks. I am aware. I watch it like a hawk. It has gone as high as about 40 something %. It sometimes goes to 0 when driving on the highway but sometimes doesn't.

One piece of advice I received was "Just drive it. Don't even look at that screen. Including it is the worst thing they ever did. The truck is designed to take care of itself and you shouldn't have to worry about it".

I'm not in your situation. I'm an occasional tower. Perhaps I should not have purchased a diesel but I had no idea about this "Must drive it hard or it is crap" stuff.

I hope it works out. If not, I'll sell it and go back to gas engines.

/ Ram Truck Question #14  
Thanks. I am aware. I watch it like a hawk. It has gone as high as about 40 something %. It sometimes goes to 0 when driving on the highway but sometimes doesn't.

One piece of advice I received was "Just drive it. Don't even look at that screen. Including it is the worst thing they ever did. The truck is designed to take care of itself and you shouldn't have to worry about it".

I'm not in your situation. I'm an occasional tower. Perhaps I should not have purchased a diesel but I had no idea about this "Must drive it hard or it is crap" stuff.

I hope it works out. If not, I'll sell it and go back to gas engines.

If you don’t tow much, just take it for a 45 minute drive and get the DPF nice & hot.
Don’t idle unless you just romped on the engine. A nice few minutes to cool down, then turn off.

/ Ram Truck Question #15  
If you don’t tow much, just take it for a 45 minute drive and get the DPF nice & hot.
Don’t idle unless you just romped on the engine. A nice few minutes to cool down, then turn off.
I drive to and from my farm once/week. That is a 65-70 minute drive, mostly interstate at 75 mph, each way. The screen said the DPF was about 30% when I left the farm the other day. When I got home, it was in the same position. I expected it to go down but didn't.
I'm beginning to not trust the screen.
My plan is to use it how it fits my life. If the diesel becomes a problem, I'll replace it.
I hope it does not become a problem as I really like it.
Thanks for the input.

/ Ram Truck Question #16  
That should be enough to heat it up real good.

/ Ram Truck Question #17  
I drive to and from my farm once/week. That is a 65-70 minute drive, mostly interstate at 75 mph, each way. The screen said the DPF was about 30% when I left the farm the other day. When I got home, it was in the same position. I expected it to go down but didn't.
My plan is to use it how it fits my life. If the diesel becomes a problem, I'll replace it.
Thanks for the input.
They DPF full % doesn't go down until they reach 99-100% then they do a regen cycle. At least that's how the Power Stroke works.

If it is regenning when you shut it off and it only got down to 35% let's say, then it starts there and increases until it hits the 99-100% mark again and initiates a regen.

/ Ram Truck Question #18  
Good deal. That's just what I wanted to know. I ordered them a couple of days ago along with all the Weathertech gear. I sure do like that truck so far. After driving a half ton truck for years I finally own a real man's truck.

I went from driving half-tons forever and a day to an HD truck in October of '22, and I don't regret it. While the fuel economy is back to the levels of a 2006 half-ton, it's a lot better than the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks from that era! My only complaint is the height; I'm 6'5" but my joints are pretty stiff, so getting in and out is a little problematic, but it's honestly been a great truck.

It's a change for sure, but I'm sure you are finding it a change for the better!

/ Ram Truck Question
My Tundra was as high as this Ram within a an inch or three so I've been climbing in for a long time and yes it can be a pain. I know I'm going to enjoy this truck.

/ Ram Truck Question #20  
Thanks for the input.
Welcome to the RAM club on TBN.
Hey, that’s 2 Ram owners added in just one week!