Magnetic brooms

/ Magnetic brooms #11  
You could find a way to encourage them out such as having a water or power or heating/air conditioning problem or something structurally with the mobile... And lo and behold parts are on backorder guess they'll need to stay in a hotel for now... etc. If you're clever you can engineer it so as to not make your spouse suspicious. Alternatively the rent payment needs to match inflation this year (may be more of a battle with the spouse though) Enough of those types of things and they'll be motivated to find housing elsewhere.

Removed a completely feral "pet" cat that way from my property that belonged to my MIL. And come to think of it my wife and I both used those tactics to "encourage" that same MIL to move 1100 miles away...🥳

Last edited:
   / Magnetic brooms #12  
Had our old deck replaced and there were nails and scwews everywhere. Got the wheeled magnetic broom at Tractor Supply and spent a week sweeping the backyard. Filled 3 gallon jugs before I was comfortable driving the zero turn over the area. Very powerful and a worthwhile tool.

/ Magnetic brooms #13  
As expensive as some of these pick up magnet are, I'd rather spend the money instead of dealing with a flat tractor tire.

I had to make repeat passes with one after having a roof done about a year ago. Thought I had all the nails up. Made another pass in the Spring before the grass came up, and found more.

/ Magnetic brooms
As expensive as some of these pick up magnet are, I'd rather spend the money instead of dealing with a flat tractor tire.
When a nail/staple/screw went into wife’s tire I removed the tire, took it into town and had Discount Tire repair it for “free” … easy peasy (but time consuming)

I’m rather new to this whole tractor owner thing… however, I’ve seen what’s involved with changing loader tires and it didn’t look cheap… hoists, hydraulic arms, BIG pneumatic wrenches…obviously a much larger tire involved there…

I don’t have the capability to load a flat rear tractor tire into the back of my pickup, so… What is a reasonable cost assumption for repairing a tractor tire at my rural home?

FWIW, my new tractor came from the dealer with inner tubes due to the calcium they use as ballast so just plugging the tire isn’t a option for me…

/ Magnetic brooms #15  
HF magnet is $50 for the 30" wide unit. $12 for the 17" unit. Its cheap enough just for peace of mind.

/ Magnetic brooms #16  
When a nail/staple/screw went into wife’s tire I removed the tire, took it into town and had Discount Tire repair it for “free” … easy peasy (but time consuming)

I’m rather new to this whole tractor owner thing… however, I’ve seen what’s involved with changing loader tires and it didn’t look cheap… hoists, hydraulic arms, BIG pneumatic wrenches…obviously a much larger tire involved there…

I don’t have the capability to load a flat rear tractor tire into the back of my pickup, so… What is a reasonable cost assumption for repairing a tractor tire at my rural home?

FWIW, my new tractor came from the dealer with inner tubes due to the calcium they use as ballast so just plugging the tire isn’t a option for me…
I don't know the cost, but it would be a monumental hassle.

The magnet pickup tool that I bought from Lowes did okay in short lawn grass with freshly dropped screws. If someone has been tossing out metal for an extended period, the metal is going to be pretty embedded in the grass making it hard for a normal magnet pickup tool to grab it. I wouldn't trust any magnet 100% to deal with embedded metal, especially if it potentially involves driving a tractor tire over it.

Amazon has some fishing magnets that are pretty cheap and powerful. If I had an area that I suspected had a lot of metal in it, I'd think about mounting some of them to a board or piece of metal to make a super magnet pickup.

/ Magnetic brooms #17  
Amazon has some fishing magnets that are pretty cheap and powerful. If I had an area that I suspected had a lot of metal in it, I'd think about mounting some of them to a board or piece of metal to make a super magnet pickup.
Yup, that's basically what I did.

/ Magnetic brooms #18  
I used (4) 600 lb fishing magnets bolted to a cut down metal yardstick. 3' of Rope attached to both ends for a handle.
I use it mostly prior to lawn mowing after a customer gets their roof done, and it works very well.

/ Magnetic brooms #19  
How do you efficiently pull nails etc. off it?
That would be one of the advantages of an electromagnet.

/ Magnetic brooms #20  
I have a 36" wheeled magnet with a handle, probably like HF sells,,
I use it in my shop, and I useit right outside the shop door, maybe a 20X50 foot area.
THAT is about all I would consider doing with the hand magnet.