Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #31  
My question is why someone would buy a 1,500 lb lawnmower and expect to operate it like a 10,000 lb skidsteer?

It seems to be a pretty common trend with inexperienced tractor owners to think since they paid a lot of money for their tractors that they should be indestructible and perform like a D6. In reality tractors are not industrial machinery and cost drastically less than machines that actually are.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #32  
How many front axles ahve been broken on tractors by lifting something that exceeds the capacity?

It seems ridiculous the manufacturer would have a rated load on the front axle that is less than the weight added by maxing the FEL?

Tearing out the drive components isn’t that uncommon but the front axels hardly ever break in half from overloading it.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #33  
In my view, none are over rated for capacity. It's the owner that overloads them by adding 'ballast' to the tractor, something I don't do.

It's the human factor at play and humans tend to push the boundaries of everything. Human nature I guess.

All tractors need counter weight to effectively use the loader. Virtually every other machine that lifts things has a permanent mounted counterweight.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #34  
How many front axles ahve been broken on tractors by lifting something that exceeds the capacity?

It seems ridiculous the manufacturer would have a rated load on the front axle that is less than the weight added by maxing the FEL?
Usually, as in my case, the bearings crush and the seals fail.
I am looking at a tractor with an aftermarket loader thats able to lift substantially more weight than the front axle is rated for. One needs to be mindful that some loaders are “stronger” than the tractor they are mounted on.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #35  
We lost the front hub on one of our tractors when the bearing raceway was damaged.

Thankfully, the spindle was fine so we only needed a new hub which was pretty spendy all on its own.

Like a chain, it is only as strong as its weakest link!

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #36  
One has to wonder if front axle “rating” is artificially low in that the manufacturer feels that if you load beyond the rating, the rear of the tractor may lift off the ground.
IOW A tractor may have a 5,000 lb front axle rating, but it is “de-rated” to 3,000lbs because if you fully loaded it, it would pull the back wheels off?

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #37  
Its just a whole lot easier when they didn't publish the axle capacities.
Clearly the axles can handle ALOT more than they are rated for. Probably just a MFG's CYA move to deny a warranty claim if they want to
"We do know though, from experience, that front axle repairs on small tractors are some of the most common repairs that are made." -- this video, at 6:20

My question is why someone would buy a 1,500 lb lawnmower and expect to operate it like a 10,000 lb skidsteer?
Probably the same type of homeowners buying those very machines.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #38  
Lets not confuse sprung weight versus unsprung weight. There is a lot of info on the internet on this.

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #39  
Since I rarely have the occasion to haul weights in my bucket, I would like to know what a bucket full of dirt, sand, gravel, and firewood weighs. Those are the things I haul in my bucket. It is some information worth considering.

I didn't watch the video all the way, was there any mention of whether the hydraulics would lift that much? I always assumed (yeah, I know) that the hydraulic relief valves would keep me from overloading and damaging my tractor.

Doug in SW IA

/ Publishing Loader Capacity Numbers That Far Exceed The Capacity Of The Axles #40  
My reaction to the video? Whatever. I was surprised Neal didn’t bash J.D. more but he refrained.

One point to be clear on, JD lists specific rear ballast requirements. He ignored that although I suspect it still overloads things by the axle specs. I owned a Kubota BX and currently own a JD 2025r. The 2025r has the same loader as the tractor in the video, just on a larger chassis, both the Kubota and the JD need ballast on the back.