6 days without electricity here so far..

/ 6 days without electricity here so far.. #21  
My generator is a 25KW PTO unit, my IH 574 has been hooked to it for over a year.
It is a spare 2wd tractor in case something happens to the bigger one with the cab.

Edited to add; I burn about a gallon per hour, sometimes a bit less.

/ 6 days without electricity here so far..
I could have went that route myself but I needed something my wife could deal with. Heck, she don't even know how to start the tractors, let alone hook one up to a PTO genny. I asked her and her answer was an adamant no.

/ 6 days without electricity here so far.. #23  
Huh, I thought it was only Texas that lost power in ice storms.

I thought every other state had it figured out with their regulated expensive power 🤷‍♂️

Huh, I thought it was only Texas that lost power in ice storms.

I thought every other state had it figured out with their regulated expensive power 🤷‍♂️
Interestingly, the crew leader was from Galveston. DTE flew him up here and got him a rental car. Nice fellow too. I do like Texans.

If I was running a diesel generator I'd look long and hard at heating oil $3.50 a gallon now around here. No road use issues and now not even Ultra Low Sulfur differences.
There is no road use tax here in Michigan on red dyed ORD, never has been what I run in the tractors as well. Far as I can tell, ORD and USLD are the same animal except ORD is dyed. Why I went to running a fuel supplement in my diesel truck and tractors. ULSD lacks the sulfur which lubricates the pumps and injector pintles. Get 500 gallons at a crack delivered.

Sure is nice to be back on utility power I will say. 7 days of 'camping' was more than enough and it's past time for a hot shower for the both of us. I know I stink.

/ 6 days without electricity here so far.. #26  
There is no road use tax here in Michigan on red dyed ORD, never has been what I run in the tractors as well. Far as I can tell, ORD and USLD are the same animal except ORD is dyed. Why I went to running a fuel supplement in my diesel truck and tractors. ULSD lacks the sulfur which lubricates the pumps and injector pintles. Get 500 gallons at a crack delivered.

Sure is nice to be back on utility power I will say. 7 days of 'camping' was more than enough and it's past time for a hot shower for the both of us. I know I stink.

The crooks at the off-road place have been charging more for off road than road diesel for the better part of a year. I’ve been pumping road diesel in my equipment. It’s easier anyway since I’m not limited to one location and business hours.

I'm thinking about a PTO generator, and the OPs experience reinforces that. Assuming I ran it 24 hours it would only burn 72 gallons in that same time period. I wouldn't run it all of the time, that's just for comparison purposes.
Keep in mind that you will still have to fuel your tractor and maintain the fluid levels. Plus you'll need a transfer switch to isolate the utility power or you will have to manually trip the main breakers. The issue is, utility workers working on lines can get electrocuted by voltage coming from your home genny. I don't ever want to see that happen here.

People around here are using box store generators and they aren't built for continuous duty so they crap out. Guy across the road went through 2 0f them. Not a 24-7 genny.

The crooks at the off-road place have been charging more for off road than road diesel for the better part of a year. I’ve been pumping road diesel in my equipment. It’s easier anyway since I’m not limited to one location and business hours.
You need to report them to your state's AG. Here ORD is about 45 cents under on road. No matter what you use, ORD or Off Road, it's still less than 3 ppm of sulfur

/ 6 days without electricity here so far.. #29  
5030, I could have sworn I read in one of the older generator threads that you had a 35KW standby with a 4 cylinder diesel. Your HWH is electric. Why haven't you showered?