Bad Day for Pole Barn

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #71  
In My experience even a call to the Insurance company to discuss a possible claim can cost you,
it all winds up on your history ( as stated they all share ) ,, I was in shock when I stumbled on this
in my dealings.
pay premiums all your life never a claim ,, when you have a legit claim it will usually be cheaper to avoid them unless it is a big $ or someone else is clearly at fault but not doing the right thing

glad this is almost behind you and thanks for sharing

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
I'm pretty happy with how this is working out. $140 for replacement metal. If I had the capability to lift it and prevent the wall damage, it would have saved about $40. As to those who questioned using my loader, my loader maxs out at 1000 lbs. At the points I would have had to lift it, I doubt I could get over 500 lbs. My guess is that even after trimming, I had well over a ton of tree left.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #73  
IMG_2583.jpg

January 13th, 2021 My house is the red tip on the left, this was my wife's uncle's pole barn, erected 3 months prior.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #74  
Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it looks like one or two purlins might be broken.

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it looks like one or two purlins might be broken.

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
According to what my insurance company tells me if the neighbor knew the tree was rotted and could possibly fall and damage a neighbors property then he could be liable.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #75  
Build a 4x4 a-frame and put under it about 4 or 5 feet from the side. You should then be able to cut limbs off the building side. Then hook a chain to it up to it close to the a-frame and pull it over, cut up, split and enjoy a fire
Monday-morning quarterbackin'......

Attachments

• Barn4.jpg
    Barn4.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 79
   / Bad Day for Pole Barn #77  
In the court of Judge Judy, she would side with you on the neighbor owing for damages. And the reason is because it was dead for a while and the neighbor knows it and is liable. It's not an "act of God" in that case. Which is what the insurance company is looking at. I just had two dead pines removed of which one was right next to the neighbors house. It had been dead for 2 years and was at the point of needing removal due to getting weak. $1500 for two trees over 100ft tall and ground up and hauled away along with a brush pile from Decembers tree that I did that was 100ft and 20" at the base (all my EFCO 20" could handle). The one they did was about 24" and the other about 20". Two truck loads of ground up trees and branches. Nice looking job they did too. I can't complain at all. Even raked the yard afterward and fixed all "divits" of grass. Pros do that kind of thing. Me, I just left it all lol. I am chainsaw certified though by the Pa DCNR state group. A plus IMO.
I have lived in the same place for 50 years. Four years ago I had 6 oak trees that were too close to my home and needed to be taken down, 24-36 inches at the base, who knew oak trees grew that fast. I live on 15 acres so they are my trees. Luckily I had access to a John Deere 510 backhoe. I just dug around four of them and pushed them over. That way I could control where they fell. Two were so close to my garage I couldn't do that, the roots were under the concrete, so I sawed them off. I chained them to the backhoe and pulled them over after I had cut mostly through the trunk. I bolted my vise to the stump in front of the garage side door. I just shoved the trunks and limbs into the woods after cutting off the limbs. Two were so large the backhoe couldn't move them. I payed a tree service to cut those off the root mass. Would have been cheaper to buy a big chain saw and then I would still have a big chain saw. Not for me, my son in law, my chain sawing days are over, bad back.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #78  

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
Don't mention to the insurance company that you "noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down".!

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #79  
Probably not even more that your deductible.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #80  

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
Correct me if I’m wrong on property responsibility but if a healthy tree falls from an act of nature and damages your property it is on your insurance but a dead tree falls from your neighbors property and he knew it was dead or you notified the neighbor of said dead tree that needs to be taken down then the responsibility is on the neighbors insurance?