New Pasture Saplings

/ New Pasture Saplings #61  
to kill young callery pear, cut off at base. Remedy or Torton RTU put on small stump, just after lopping?

/ New Pasture Saplings #62  
On the stumps drill a hole and pour some powdered pool shock in them. I use that trick on elms that are close to my water well and it seems to stop them dead in their tracks.

/ New Pasture Saplings #63  
what is pool shock?
found out what Pool Shock is. Might be better to be around than some chemicals. Wonder if bleach would work on the small stump/base?

Last edited:
   / New Pasture Saplings #65  
Hello all, Me and my wife bought our place about six years ago. There was about five acres that had been clear cut by the previous owner. He let it grow up and by the time we got it, it had grown up a lot. We hired a forestry mulcher to come in and clean it up. In the process of harrowing it and getting it ready to seed. My question is there are so many maple and gum saplings that just keep on coming back. I brushhog them as low as I can and just keep cutting them but they always come back and then some. What is the best way to take care of them?
On something that size, I would cut it and then burn it, and then plant it....Then keep it cut low as long as the rain holds out.... Keep it cut through the summer below 6 inches. Anything that sprouts will die when you cut it.... I had 15 ft tall privit hedge on some of my property, I cut it with my tractor, its set up to cut rough stuff, then kept it cut with the regular bushog for the first summer, then the next year I kept it cut with the riding lawnmower .I burn my stuff twice a year until its under control, spring and fall.

/ New Pasture Saplings #66  
I am also a chemical guy. Fortunately I have a good friend that is in charge of the chemical applications on a 25,000 acre row crop operation. He's my go-to guy.

He recommended "Remedy" to me for brush control. Last year I sprayed 15 acres of CRP that had some problems. It killed the woody plants with no damage to others.

Roundup is primarily a "grass" killer.

2-4-D is primarily a "broad leaf" killer.

Remedy is primarily a "brush" killer.

Combine all three and you leave the ground bare. I use that combination when spraying the influent/effluent ends of road culverts.
I agree. Remedy is a good product for brush. It also works well on fresh cut tree stumps when mixed with a little diesel to prevent any regrowth from the stump.

/ New Pasture Saplings #67  
It can help to put your location in your profile...

/ New Pasture Saplings #68  
I agree. Remedy is a good product for brush. It also works well on fresh cut tree stumps when mixed with a little diesel to prevent any regrowth from the stump.
Yep. Tordon RTU is my go-to for stumps. A quart bottle costs $12-14 and will treat a LOT of stumps. I keep a bottle in my chain box on the tractor.

/ New Pasture Saplings #69  
Bring in a stump grinder. Get all stumps below ground level by several inches. If you are not in a hurry, you could burn out the stumps, I have good luck using 1/2 of a barrel (55 gal. drum) to keep heat and fuel close to stump if barrel will fit around stump.
Saplings don't get that large anywhere except Texas and Texans jerk them out with their bare hands so that isn't going to work for op.

/ New Pasture Saplings #70  
Yep. Tordon RTU is my go-to for stumps. A quart bottle costs $12-14 and will treat a LOT of stumps. I keep a bottle in my chain box on the tractor.
It's double that now. :cautious: