12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #211  
Most breakdowns can be avoided by simple PM. A u joint usually gives plenty of warning that it is time to replace vibrations clunking etc. When I change my oil, I go over the hole truck greasing it and shaking ware components. Good look at wiring under hood.

I guess that's why I get 500k out of a truck and others can't get 100k out of theirs. It's nice not to have a truck payment for 20 years.🍻
My daily driver is a 2002 Chevy crew cab, was a rental out of Canada when purchased with around 34,000 miles on it. Never had a payment, other than paying cash for the used vehicle.

Its on its second 6.0 liter engine (400,000 + miles), replaced some instrument panel wirings, soldered the 4 wheel drive switch as it got a cold solder joint. It rides nice and gets the good gas mileage that all those 6.0 Chevys get (13 mpg). Preventative maintenance goes a long ways in helping prevent "unexpected breakdowns". I expect this truck to be the last truck I own.

My daily driver prior to it was a 65 Ford F250 with over 500,000 miles on it.

My next truck will have to be on the other side of life!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #212  
My daily driver is a 2002 Chevy crew cab, was a rental out of Canada when purchased with around 34,000 miles on it. Never had a payment, other than paying cash for the used vehicle.

Its on its second 6.0 liter engine (400,000 + miles), replaced some instrument panel wirings, soldered the 4 wheel drive switch as it got a cold solder joint. It rides nice and gets the good gas mileage that all those 6.0 Chevys get (13 mpg). Preventative maintenance goes a long ways in helping prevent "unexpected breakdowns". I expect this truck to be the last truck I own.

My daily driver prior to it was a 65 Ford F250 with over 500,000 miles on it.

My next truck will have to be on the other side of life!
We move our daily drivers on about every 2-3 years, My work van goes about 70K miles and I trade it. Oddly enough I have a 99 F150 that I paid 2K for.. and proceeded to put another 12K into it over the past 5 years. Its at 190K now and If i get it to 250k miles...Ill consider it a wash.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #213  
If you plan on holding on to a vehicle for longer than the warranty you would be better off with the Toyota.
Ram is very hungry for business and they want to make deals.
In this time of screwing over each other, maybe try to make a deal with them. Possibly on another truck??

When I bought my 5500 is was at the height of Covid. March 2020-dealership closed because it wasn’t a “critical business”.
My Ram dealer was allowed to keep its’ service bays open, but no salespeople at the dealer.
I had to sign the paperwork the night before the dealership was to be closed by the state along with all others in PA.
They made me an excellent deal and I won’t forget that.
Yeah, I'm holding my ground..... I will be buying it outright (except for trade in-- about $11-12K). This will be my last truck (barring theft or accident), so I want what I want.
I did consider bumping up to a 3/4 ton. Don't really need one, but it would be easier to find an 8' bed. I'm in no hurry, so looking around almost daily isn't a problem.
I figured by the time I find one, I'll have more bucks to apply to a heavier truck if need be.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #214  
Yeah, I'm holding my ground..... I will be buying it outright (except for trade in-- about $11-12K). This will be my last truck (barring theft or accident), so I want what I want.
I did consider bumping up to a 3/4 ton. Don't really need one, but it would be easier to find an 8' bed. I'm in no hurry, so looking around almost daily isn't a problem.
I figured by the time I find one, I'll have more bucks to apply to a heavier truck if need be.
Interesting.

I waited over a year for a 3/4 ton pickup but the order got cancelled due to supply chain issues during the pandemic. Like you, I wanted what I wanted but I eventually settled for a 1/2 ton which were easier to find.

All the trucks I've ever owned were 3/4 ton but since I don't haul heavy equipment anymore, I really don't need the heavier duty vehicle. Now, after a year, I've come to appreciate the cheaper registration & insurance, better mileage and softer suspension.

I suppose it all depends on where you live and what you do. YMMV

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #215  
Interesting.

I waited over a year for a 3/4 ton pickup but the order got cancelled due to supply chain issues during the pandemic. Like you, I wanted what I wanted but I eventually settled for a 1/2 ton which were easier to find.

All the trucks I've ever owned were 3/4 ton but since I don't haul heavy equipment anymore, I really don't need the heavier duty vehicle. Now, after a year, I've come to appreciate the cheaper registration & insurance, better mileage and softer suspension.

I suppose it all depends on where you live and what you do. YMMV
The biggest deal for me is the 8' bed. A 3/4 ton truck would definitely be overkill for me too! The most I will tow is under 11K, and that would be very a rare occurrence. Mostly to haul our RV which tops out at 6900 lbs.

I am very skeptical about these small 2.7, 3.5, 3.6 liter engines. Yes they are powerful, but for how long? To me, there is no replacement for displacement. At least the RAM trucks have the option for a V-8, so does Chevy / GMC.

My biggest "scare" about the Toyota was the problem with the rear mounted electric wastegates on the turbos. Apparently there was a bunch of the early '22's that would fail and put the truck into limp mode. Toyota marks it up to a bad batch getting by poor quality control.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #216  
The biggest deal for me is the 8' bed. A 3/4 ton truck would definitely be overkill for me too! The most I will tow is under 11K, and that would be very a rare occurrence. Mostly to haul our RV which tops out at 6900 lbs.

I am very skeptical about these small 2.7, 3.5, 3.6 liter engines. Yes they are powerful, but for how long? To me, there is no replacement for displacement. At least the RAM trucks have the option for a V-8, so does Chevy / GMC.

My biggest "scare" about the Toyota was the problem with the rear mounted electric wastegates on the turbos. Apparently there was a bunch of the early '22's that would fail and put the truck into limp mode. Toyota marks it up to a bad batch getting by poor quality control.
I feel your pain looking for a unicorn. Ours not as much as yours, but we wanted a Tundra Double-Cab with the 6.5' bed. Had to be 4x4 and SR5 or better and come in at a 30k or less price point with less than 150k miles. Eventually got a 2017 with just over 100k miles. Given our intended uses, it should last as long as we do.

Toyota is having production issues because Japan still shuts things down due to illness. Tundra is built in San Antonio, so unless they need parts from Japan, the issue should be less. I just didn't want to pay that much more money, especially for a newly redesigned truck.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #217  

Aside from the extra hauling capacity, I liked the larger brakes on the 3/4 ton trucks. The brakes on my 1/2 ton company trucks always seemed inadequate when pulling a fully loaded trailer. Even though the weight was within spec, there was always some fade on steep grades. I had no fade whatever when trailering with a 3/4 ton. Most of the time, I didn't notice any difference when trailering or not.

When I switched to a half ton, I added "branded" brakes to increase performance. It was a dealer installed option so had no effect on locating a suitable vehicle.

I should mention that my experience is limited to Chevy, Ford & Dodge so I can't comment on other makes.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #218  
Last time I went to a dealer, they had only optioned out 1500's that started around $60k

You could get into a 1 ton dually around the same price.

I hope to never go to a traditional dealer ever again. We ordered our last car thru carmax. Swiped our debt card and left within 15 minutes. At the time, they had the best price and selection on minivans

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #219  
Last time I went to a dealer, they had only optioned out 1500's that started around $60k

You could get into a 1 ton dually around the same price.

I hope to never go to a traditional dealer ever again. We ordered our last car thru carmax. Swiped our debt card and left within 15 minutes. At the time, they had the best price and selection on minivans
Carmax has a refurb/ rehab shop across the street from my work. Vehicles go there before being distributed to the individual lots. After witnessing the condition of the vehicles going into that shop and what those idiots do on a regular basis with those vehicles.....

Yeah, I won't be purchasing anything from them, period.

Majority of vehicles before going through the shop resemble thrashed out, low end auction vehicles. Body damage, wrecked front ends, or rear ends. They then have wannabe street racers ragging the vehicles out further thrashing them up and down the road, just flogging the hell out of them.

There drivers have put several cars through our fence, as well as the fence across the street.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #220  
Carmax has a refurb/ rehab shop across the street from my work. Vehicles go there before being distributed to the individual lots. After witnessing the condition of the vehicles going into that shop and what those idiots do on a regular basis with those vehicles.....

Yeah, I won't be purchasing anything from them, period.

Majority of vehicles before going through the shop resemble thrashed out, low end auction vehicles. Body damage, wrecked front ends, or rear ends. They then have wannabe street racers ragging the vehicles out further thrashing them up and down the road, just flogging the hell out of them.

There drivers have put several cars through our fence, as well as the fence across the street.
That's disappointing but not surprising. I really dont trust any used cars without climbing under them or really dig into them

So far I havnt found any issues

Most modern cars are so valued engineered, like a cell phone they are designed to be throw away after a few years.

I'm confident that my wife's current van will be junked due to the electronics dying long before the mechanical bits. It has a few software bugs I wish I had the source code to so i could fix them.

I had a 92 dodge that was the opposite. The drive train is still in my shop and will run, but the truck was from Michigan and rusted down after 25 years.