Homemade tractor (in aus)

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #12  
You migh try explaining to your missus trying to fabricate home made tractor will cost 3X and much as purchasing one to your specifications....

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #13  
TE20 has only four gears, is it of any use on a tiller at all ?

Chinese tillers, go ahead and try your luck. I would get a used Honda or something so you can at least get parts for it

/ Homemade tractor (in aus)
You migh try explaining to your missus trying to fabricate home made tractor will cost 3X and much as purchasing one to your specifications....
Haha I wish only 3x. To buy what I'm looking at will be 10K minimum, and to get something with some use on it would be around 15K. And after just recently spending 7 on a mower she's already fairly not happy

TE20 has only four gears, is it of any use on a tiller at all ?

Chinese tillers, go ahead and try your luck. I would get a used Honda or something so you can at least get parts for it
The te20, sadly no. I learnt the hydraulics are ran off the pto aswell, which entirely killed it for me as I can't justify taking it off just to lower the implement.

As for the tiller, I've found a powerful small one for 500$, so I plan on buying that and trying it whislt I source parts and finalise designs for the tractor

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #17  
The te20, sadly no. I learnt the hydraulics are ran off the pto aswell, which entirely killed it for me as I can't justify taking it off just to lower the implement.

As for the tiller, I've found a powerful small one for 500$, so I plan on buying that and trying it whislt I source parts and finalise designs for the tractor

I hope you post your progress as it comes along; home made projects are always cool to watch come to fruition!

I definitely don't have such skills, so I enjoy watching those that do hone their craft.

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #18  
Sadly not here, unless I buy Chinese. It seems prices are doubled + the gst ecr makes it un-feasable

Are used Troybilt Horse model tillers not available in your part of the world?

I bought mine for $200 couple of years ago and did few very minor repairs.
They are quite capable for creating & maintaining small garden area, but ofcourse one needs to take it easy if the ground is rock hard at first.

3728 II.jpg

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #19  
This tractor from the late 40's should give you some ideads.
Also, a small DIY garden tractor is not an uncommon thing to do.
You'll need to shorten a rear, and use some minor machining methods for a pulley, but its doable.
Also, If you can find a 1970's ford with a 'granny low' 4-speed, that should be all the gearing you would need (maybe?)
PTO is the hard part.
Anywho, tractor pictured uses a Crosley transmission, mounted to a custom splined pulley, and a centrifugal clutch.

Attachments

• 20230131_205707.jpg
    20230131_205707.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230131_205719.jpg
    20230131_205719.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 20230131_205727.jpg
    20230131_205727.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
Are used Troybilt Horse model tillers not available in your part of the world?

I bought mine for $200 couple of years ago and did few very minor repairs.
They are quite capable for creating & maintaining small garden area, but ofcourse one needs to take it easy if the ground is rock hard at first.

View attachment 781668
There may be "some" however that would easily go for 1000$ plus, nonrunning. Which when a little Chinese one is half the cost. Or 1/4 the cost of a running unit, it sadly makes more sense, I really don't know why they're so expensive here though. The Chinese one should be here in about 3 weeks hopefully and by then I should be finishing the tractor plans