Homemade tractor (in aus)

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #1  
Tractor
None
Hi all, after consulting my wife on buying a SCUT/CUT she has, well firmly disagreed with the idea. However my dilemma is that I am wanting to create a garden/planting area, and due to our soil being 99% clay, I've had to approach the costly territory. So what I want to ask is:

Out of these three, what would be best
1. 7hp rear tine Chinese tiller
2. Tea20
3. Homemade tractor

Now I am limited to around ~5000aud or 3500-4000 usd. anything newer than an old Fergie is too expensive, and anything larger is a no due to size. (Well the fergie is already much too big but it's the smallest I can find).

I was initially planning on building a small wheeled tractor, with most likely a very low geared 19hp lawnmower engine, and another to purely drive the pto. This would allow me to build to the size I require, aswell as using mostly cheap or readily available parts. The issue I ran into was:

A hydrostatic off a lawnmower would burn out long before the tractor could much of anything, and the rear pto gives me some concern about HP/torque.

So my option now is to take a small car engine, detune it massively and run the entire system off of that. But that would require a transmission, which I would have to gear down myself, and the engineering for the pto would be far harder.

The other option is to build a tracked vehicle, as thatway I would have cabin AC, better traction, better stability , and tighter turns (a big must). However I'm completely lost on what to do in terms of transmission type, how to get said transmission to work. I was thinking clutch and brake but I would need to learn fully how to assemble that.

I do want a small as possible tractor due to size issues, imagine Kubota BX/b7000 series size. Hence why as the only small high hp second hand tractor in aus is a tea20. So what would I be best building? A small tracked homemade 2wd, or a smidge larger tracked vehicle? And what improvements would you make?

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #2  
I don't know about Australia, but at least here those older Ferguson's seem to have a fairly big fan base, and that would imply- to me- that there must be a fair amount of parts available. Not only that, but there are manuals out there for them, including new print ones from 3rd parties.

I'd try to find a solid Fergie, given your options. Plus, I think you'll have the most fun with it.

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #3  
ferguson-tea-20-half-track.jpg

As for modifications, well, this is an obvious one. 🤣

/ Homemade tractor (in aus)
I don't know about Australia, but at least here those older Ferguson's seem to have a fairly big fan base, and that would imply- to me- that there must be a fair amount of parts available. Not only that, but there are manuals out there for them, including new print ones from 3rd parties.

I'd try to find a solid Fergie, given your options. Plus, I think you'll have the most fun with it.
Oh yeah they're really popular here, it's either them, internationals or David browns or fiats. But Massey's are byfar the most popular, the only thing I really dislike is the high speed and large just, size in general. Since the areas I need to use it in are absolutely miniscule, and 15 point turns don't sound fun lol

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #5  
Rent whatever you need once or twice a yr until the wife comes around to your way of thinking.
GL though, the wife may be harder than the ground :D

/ Homemade tractor (in aus)
Rent whatever you need once or twice a yr until the wife comes around to your way of thinking.
GL though, the wife may be harder than the ground :D
Have looked into that, and with what they're charging it's cheaper to bite the bullet lol. Most places near me are a few hundred for 1-3 days, which multiple times a year is tractor money haha. And by the sounds of it she definitely won't budge

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #7  
Hi all, after consulting my wife on buying a SCUT/CUT she has, well firmly disagreed with the idea. However my dilemma is that I am wanting to create a garden/planting area, and due to our soil being 99% clay, I've had to approach the costly territory. So what I want to ask is:

Out of these three, what would be best
1. 7hp rear tine Chinese tiller
2. Tea20
3. Homemade tractor

Now I am limited to around ~5000aud or 3500-4000 usd. anything newer than an old Fergie is too expensive, and anything larger is a no due to size. (Well the fergie is already much too big but it's the smallest I can find).

I was initially planning on building a small wheeled tractor, with most likely a very low geared 19hp lawnmower engine, and another to purely drive the pto. This would allow me to build to the size I require, aswell as using mostly cheap or readily available parts. The issue I ran into was:

A hydrostatic off a lawnmower would burn out long before the tractor could much of anything, and the rear pto gives me some concern about HP/torque.

So my option now is to take a small car engine, detune it massively and run the entire system off of that. But that would require a transmission, which I would have to gear down myself, and the engineering for the pto would be far harder.

The other option is to build a tracked vehicle, as thatway I would have cabin AC, better traction, better stability , and tighter turns (a big must). However I'm completely lost on what to do in terms of transmission type, how to get said transmission to work. I was thinking clutch and brake but I would need to learn fully how to assemble that.

I do want a small as possible tractor due to size issues, imagine Kubota BX/b7000 series size. Hence why as the only small high hp second hand tractor in aus is a tea20. So what would I be best building? A small tracked homemade 2wd, or a smidge larger tracked vehicle? And what improvements would you make?
Ive built a few. Use your 19 HP engine. Put two standard transmission in line straight to the rear end. Take the center out from a clutch hub and weld it to a piece of drive shaft, with one U joint or two very close, and that will make the two transmissions couple together. On the front transmission use the other clutch hub and weld a u joint with a shaft that runs to the front. Put your engine on top of the shaft and belt drive it with a double v belt pulley. You can have a belt tensioner like on a tiller to engage the belt. Height will be your problem. So putting the engine above the drive will solve that issue. Or, if it is vertical shaft engine, you could hydraulic drive the two transmissions and it will last because of the low gearing. Get like a Toyota truck rear or something common so you may can play with a locking rear differential in the future

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #8  
For about 20 years I had a 1945 Gibson tractor. It used a 7HP Wisconsin engine. The engine had a small diameter 6 groove sheave on the output shaft. 4 of the grooves drove a large diameter sheave. This sheave shared a shaft with a small sprocket. The sprocket in turn drove a large sprocket which was affixed to the input shaft of a 1935 Chevy truck transmission. The truck tranny in turn drove, through a special u-joint, a Chrysler rear end that had been shortened. The speed reduction through the sheave and the sprockets was very high. The large diameter sheave assembly was mounted to a plate that pivoted. This plate was actuated by the clutch pedal. So by moving the plate about the pivot the tension on the vee belts was varied, giving a clutch action. The tension on the belts was supplied by springs. The whole thing worked quite well. The 2 grooves on the sheave that weren't used for locomotion were used to power implements. If you build your own tractor I think you could learn a lot from looking at a Gibson tractor. Check out this link: Gibson Garden Tractors . BTW, my tractor steering was by a long lever on the right side of the tractor. Weird to use at first but it worked very well.
Eric

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #9  
i think that you should take your lovely wife on a Date to the tractor dealership ... have her check them out with you. imagine the wonderful garden area that you could develop. Give it a few months ... she'll warm up to the idea of a small used tractor - they save a lot of labour. And you'd be saving all that effort from you-build-it tractor plans. Perhaps you need a small Garden Tractor - like a ride on lawn mower / tractor, but beefier.

My wife didn't want a tractor either, but now i need to keep the keys :)

/ Homemade tractor (in aus) #10  
I remember back in the '70s Mother Earth News, a back to the land hippie magazine here in the US, had an article about using old pickup truck running gear to make a home made tractor. They put two transmissions in line to lower the gearing. The hard part would be traction- truck tires aren't going to do all that well.

What sort of work would you be doing with the tractor? We don't have clay soils here, it's more the opposite. But I can't imagine plants growing well in pure clay. You'll likely need to amend the soil. Maybe it would make sense to hire a tractor to break up the clay with a sub soiler or similar for drainage and truck in some topsoil. Then you can work that by hand or with a roto tiller.

The longer we garden the less we're tilling, even in the new garden that I "prepared" a few years ago by flattening an uneven area with the tractor and piling on a bunch of rotten firewood. It was pretty random but other than there being a lot of rocks it's done great. There's no point in damaging the soil structure when it's working well.