Taxes on tractors

/ Taxes on tractors #41  
No sales tax on tractors, equipment and implements in Texas if you have an ag exemption. There's also no state income tax or tax on personal property--Only real property (land and home). Texas does however have one of the highest sales tax rates in the nation at 6 1/4% and Texas also allows city/county sales tax over that UP TO 8 1/4%. It's no wonder Texas has a $30+ Billion budget surplus. :cautious:
You are only 1/4 higher than Pa but our gas tax is the highest.

/ Taxes on tractors #42  
I was trying to make it clear you don't pay taxes on a tractor every year you pay when you buy it like anything else you buy.
Many state and local governments impose ad valorem property taxes on tangible personal property (TPP) in addition to property taxes applied to land and structures. Tangible personal property taxes are levied on property that can be moved or touched, such as business equipment, machinery, inventory, and furniture. There're over 40 states that impose a tax on TPP. Texas is not one of them. :ROFLMAO:

Edited

Last edited:
   / Taxes on tractors #43  
Many state and local governments impose ad valorem property taxes on tangible personal property (TPP) in addition to property taxes applied to land and structures. Tangible personal property taxes are levied on property that can be moved or touched, such as business equipment, machinery, inventory, and furniture. There're over 40 states that impose a tax on TPP. Texas is not one of them. :ROFLMAO:

Edited
Conn taxes them (if they know you have them) at the local level. none of my tractors have ever been taxed except sales tax when I bought them. My 44,000 excavator was taxed because the assessor saw it. It got taxed in one of 2 towns depending on whare it was parked on my farm on Oct 1. The 2 towns talked to each other!

The sales tax is a State tax and the personal property tax is a local tax. Connecticut law has required owners of taxable personal property to annually report property owned by them on October 1 to the municipal Assessor since 1949

/ Taxes on tractors #44  

Edited
Texas does have that tax if you are a business. I hate the terminology because 'personal' property makes it sound like it is only for individuals.

/ Taxes on tractors #46  
One year Alaska tried a personal property tax. Only lasted one year. Too many calls - how much are soiled underwear worth - ripped jeans - holes in your mucklucks - holes in your socks - etc, etc. It became a political farce and resulted in one legislator being recalled, back to private life.
That must have been a state personal property tax.

BUT the borrows in Alaska DO have separate taxes, like the Kenai Peninsula Borrough, they DO have a personal property tax.

SR

/ Taxes on tractors #47  
In Pa we have variable taxes. In Allegheny county we pay an extra 1% on top of the 6% to the local RAD tax (which was resoundly rejected by voters but pushed through by government anyway) It also affects Philadelpha county areas as well with that extra 1%. But on clothing we don't pay taxes. We also don't have personal property taxes like those mentioned for car valuations. So variable.

/ Taxes on tractors #48  
Last edited:
   / Taxes on tractors #49  
None in Mi.

/ Taxes on tractors #50  
CT taxes unregistered vehicles including campers, RV’s, snowmobiles, trailers, trucks, passenger cars, tractors, off-road construction vehicles. We even tax horses each year. If you have a farm with $15K in farm income, then you get exemptions for your buildings, equipment etc. Tax rate is set by each town, and ranges from $11 per $1000 of value to $68 per $1000. My town is $33 so a new $50,000 tractor is rated at 70% value or $35,000 and the tax on year 1 would be $33 x 35 or $1,155.

We also pay sales tax on everything we buy. Vehicles under $50K are 6.35%. Over $50K is 7.75%. They get you coming and going!