5252 will not leave park, dies

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies #1  

sajurcaju

Silver Member
I have a Cub 5252 tractor with snow blower attached. It starts fine. After warm-up, choke back to zero, sitting on the tractor, I try to take it out of park. Engine immediately dies.
The same happens if I keep it in park and turn on the snow blower.
Is this an engine load issue? Some kind of safety interlock? I don't have a clue.

The tractor and snow blower were bought circa 2003. We live in Maine, they get a good workout every year.

Thanks,
Steve

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies #2  
Sounds typical of a safety interlock problem. It may be the seat switch.
Normally, if tractor doesn’t recognize that you’re on the seat, would it have same reaction?

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies
Yes, talking the problem through with my wife brought that out. I'll see if I can figure out where the interlock is. The documentation at this level of detail isn't great.

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies #4  
Yes, talking the problem through with my wife brought that out. I'll see if I can figure out where the interlock is. The documentation at this level of detail isn't great.

I’d look for a wire into a connector at a switch at the seat. Unplug the connector and see if it’s two pins. If so, I’d jumper the wire from the tractor and see if tractor moves. If so, it’s a bad switch.

Or, take an ohm / continuity meter and see if switch changes continuity when someone sits on the seat.

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies #5  
Had same problem when I first had my MF tractor.

Seat padding was frozen and the safety switch could not detect me sitting in the seat. Flipped up the seat, unplugged the safety switch, and put a wire in the female plug connecting the two sides of the same plug. No more problems.

Hopefully it’s that simple solution for you.

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies
The problem is indeed the seat switch, or else corroded contacts. I tried shoving a piece of wire across--no dice. I cut the connector off, stripped the wire ends and nutted them together, this worked great.

I'm telling myself that I missed this obvious problem because I'm getting over the flu.

Thanks people,
Steve

/ 5252 will not leave park, dies #7  
I have a Cub 5252 tractor with snow blower attached. It starts fine. After warm-up, choke back to zero, sitting on the tractor, I try to take it out of park. Engine immediately dies.
The same happens if I keep it in park and turn on the snow blower.
Is this an engine load issue? Some kind of safety interlock? I don't have a clue.

The tractor and snow blower were bought circa 2003. We live in Maine, they get a good workout every year.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, by chance do you still have this?
If so, would you be willing to part with the snowblower attachment?
Thanks,
Josh