Cub 5252 with engine knock--what's it worth?

/ Cub 5252 with engine knock--what's it worth? #1  

sajurcaju

Silver Member
Our 5252 is 19 years old. The engine quit on me when snowblowing, won't start and it knocks. I don't really want to rebuild it; plus it looks like parts are pretty scarce.
Cub 5252, knocking engine (Kohler CH730S)
818 snow blower, good working condition, definitely well used
812 front end loader, not much use

Any thoughts on what this equipment is worth? We used to have a use for the tractor, now all we use it for is snow blowing (Maine). We are switching to a walk behind snow blower.

Steve

/ Cub 5252 with engine knock--what's it worth? #2  
No equipment is worth much unless you find that 1 guy who really wants one.
Best bet is to get a replacement engine and then you will have something you can sell.

Shop around, try Harbor Freight for the motor. They have a good selection now and growing.

/ Cub 5252 with engine knock--what's it worth?
No equipment is worth much unless you find that 1 guy who really wants one.
Best bet is to get a replacement engine and then you will have something you can sell.

Shop around, try Harbor Freight for the motor. They have a good selection now and growing.
The problem there is finding something that fits. I could see that chewing up time and money. Thanks though.

/ Cub 5252 with engine knock--what's it worth? #4  
I dont know your equipment. Is there something special or different on yours?

The engine spec number is CH730-0115. The local farm machinery repair (cub dealer) told me that they could not find parts or replacement engines. They also said that the -0115 can refer to driveshaft height. If I had an engine with a lower drive shaft, I could just shim the mounting. Too tall, too bad. I'm in western Maine, so there isn't anywhere local I can go look at engines to see if they fit.
An online place said they have a rebuild kit, but if I need a non-standard sized bearing, I'd have to have it made.
I think I'm better off getting what I can from it. We've certainly gotten plenty of use from it.

The engine compression turns out to be fine. Checked U joints, fine. Put it all back together, no knock.
One of the mysteries I guess. It all works fine now.