Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof

/ Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
My Challenger has a typical plastic roof shell. Previous owner installed a home-brewed light bar bracket. Looks/works fine except one thing: It makes the tractor about 10’-2” high. I am storing it in a barn with a 10’ door opening for snowplowing season. Figures….

1673737471981.jpeg

I removed the strobe light from the light bar and leave light bar in place the tractor is about 9’-10” high, so now it fits, but no strobe for snowplowing. If I stuck strobe directly to roof plastic, it would be about 9’11” high-it’ll just squeak through.

I’d like to fasten the strobe directly to the roof plastic to lower my overall height & retain use of strobe. The strobe, normally bolted, has 2 rubber mounting discs about 3” diameter. I presume they are shock absorbing and also leave an opening for the power wire.

1673737614032.jpeg

I can’t use bolts or drill the roof.

Would large pieces of velcro stuck to the bottom of rubber discs and on top of roof plastic work? I don’t know if velcro adhesive sticks to rubber? It sticks to plastic very well. The power wire could act as a tether if it’s ripped off by a branch.

Or, what would be alternative suggestions would be better to stick directly to roof plastic? Gotta hold pretty good.

1673737093491.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof #2  
I wouldn't trust the adhesive to stick to rubber in the cold.

I'm curious if a fishing magnet would stick to any kind of metal support on the underside of the roof? Or if you could glue some large fender washers to the roof top and then use a fishing magnet to hold the strobe to the washers?

/ Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof
I wouldn't trust the adhesive to stick to rubber in the cold.

I'm curious if a fishing magnet would stick to any kind of metal support on the underside of the roof? Or if you could glue some large fender washers to the roof top and then use a fishing magnet to hold the strobe to the washers?

I like that idea, but the roof structure on the inside of the cab has a ceiling. I’d have to pull the ceiling down.

/ Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof #4  
Or cab orange top light replace with LED bulbs and wire them up to flasher.

/ Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof #5  
Google Click Bond Studs, they are aerospace quality fasteners that attach to the surface and have studs (bolts) of various lengths that you could attach to. They also have nuts that secure to the surface.

/ Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof #6  
Is the black strobe bottom metal or plastic?

Is the black strobe bottom metal or plastic?
Plastic with rubber shock mounts.

I’m thinking about pulling the ceiling down, but what a PITA

A little more info: The home made light bar was welded to the 2 flat circular metal magnetic bases mounted to the roof plastic.
I found these: 6” diameter only 2” high with magnetic base.

Maybe I cut off the home made light bar from the 2 bases and just mount these to the flat metal magnetic bases?

/ Ideas for fastening strobe light to tractor roof #10  
I wouldn't pull the ceiling down not really knowing if a magnet will actually hold the lights to the roof that way.

I probably should mention that even a small fishing magnet has such a strong grip that it could be a pain to remove the lights from the roof, especially being so far up in the air.