How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #692  
Pretty good hailstorm here. Not good for the Welker's.

/ How agriculture works thread #694  
I'm 60 miles from the Missouri River Valley. In that area they farm some very steep hills. I believe they call it Loess (sp?) soil? Wind blown dirt and sand deposited long ago. It surprisingly doesn't erode. My local soil type would erode ditches you couldn't cross with a large 4wd tractor in one growing season.

/ How agriculture works thread #695  
Arly, did you notice those combines "self level" even when they are just moving to the next field?

/ How agriculture works thread #696  
Definitely get one. They don't go for a lot of money and it's a time and back saver. It's a lot easier to just pick the potatoes from the ground, instead of having to dig and pick those up.

We used to only plant a little bit of potatoes each year, maybe 12 to 15 rows, about 13 ft long. It was plenty for our consumption and still had to give some away to neighbors but we haven't had much luck in the last couple of years, so we kind of stopped with that.
Great video. Been kicking around buying a single row potato harvester from Titan. We hand dig them now and we grow more and more every year and it's getting harder and harder to dig them, the older I get. Excellent potato ground here.
A bit late to the party as usual.
However, I would be tempted to get this Italian made model for a couple of hundred more. SPEDO Potato Diggers & Planters - Equipment From the pictures at least, it seems more robust.
1663108517540.png

I didn't realize what they go for until just now... last week there was a Spedo on Craigslist in like new condition for a thousand bucks.

/ How agriculture works thread #697  
A bit late to the party as usual.
However, I would be tempted to get this Italian made model for a couple of hundred more. SPEDO Potato Diggers & Planters - Equipment From the pictures at least, it seems more robust.View attachment 762337
I didn't realize what they go for until just now... last week there was a Spedo on Craigslist in like new condition for a thousand bucks.
Should have grabbed it....lol

My issue is, I'd have to purchase a much smaller tractor to use one.

Gives me a good excuse to buy a CUT actually.

/ How agriculture works thread #698  
This style goes for about $500 new over here.

/ How agriculture works thread #699  
Planting for me is not so bad, I use a hiller-furrower attachment on the back of my rear tine tiller to cut the rows and wife covers then with a hoe. The issue is, after numerous hillings, digging out the spuds in the fall (which is coming up shortly). What I'd like to have a digger for. We plant about 1 1/2 acres of spuds every year. Taters do really well here in the black loam soil.

/ How agriculture works thread #700  
Some deep plowing action for a new yellow kiwi plantation in Italy.