trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I was rained out of work today and stopped by the Stihl dealership and the 1st thing he says to me is "i got parts in for you!" and I received the necessarily parts to swtich my polesaw over to 3/8 chain. (y) Will post pics later. With one chain this cost me about $70.

Also stopped at our BRP dealership who said they have a brand new 6x6 max out of its box. Sorry but no camera with me.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #522  
These battery power tools have two short comings; short battery life and higher weight.
Having gone through a couple of Hurricanes with no other issues than downed trees and fences to contend with, I can appreciate the ease of operation that an electric tool provides especially to a novice user. However the hours of use I can get out of a gallon of gas powering a chainsaw far outstrips what I can get from any electric tool.

Got a 3/8th chain drive on.
P1120566.jpg

Also pics of a new work machine coming out of its shipping box..
P1120560.jpg
P1120564.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #524  
Why didn't you go with the UTV style?

1661375343559.png

Why didn't you go with the UTV style?

View attachment 759585
Quite a bit more $$$, weights over 1000lbs more so it has a higher PSI, has the same engine* so its weight per HP is less and poorer visibility for the operator.

*BPR has three engine options so the V-1000cc is the largest which our machine has.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #526  
Got it. More passenger friendly though.

Trail work and brushing is real hard on gloves and I struggle to find some that will last and not cost a fortune. Some glove only last a day or two before I find holes wearing through. Stihl had some nice ones for $25 and they lasted quite long but that's a moot point, since they went out of production. :( Since then, I've been looking for something to replace my beloved S gloves and tried some work gloves sold by harbor freight. I got there best ones for $20 and went into the field and had holes in them in 2 DAYS. The same day I got there 2nd best ones for $10 and found they lasted much longer. They are now my favorite ones and I can get like 4-5 days out of them.
P1120553.jpg
P1120551.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #529  
Trail work and brushing is real hard on gloves and I struggle to find some that will last and not cost a fortune. Some glove only last a day or two before I find holes wearing through. Stihl had some nice ones for $25 and they lasted quite long but that's a moot point, since they went out of production. :( Since then, I've been looking for something to replace my beloved S gloves and tried some work gloves sold by harbor freight. I got there best ones for $20 and went into the field and had holes in them in 2 DAYS. The same day I got there 2nd best ones for $10 and found they lasted much longer. They are now my favorite ones and I can get like 4-5 days out of them.
Why not wear plain leather gloves? That's what I find to last the longest for almost all serious work. Those are mechanics gloves and not really for handling tree limbs, branches, lumber, etc.

Why not wear plain leather gloves? That's what I find to last the longest for almost all serious work. Those are mechanics gloves and not really for handling tree limbs, branches, lumber, etc.
Seems like leather gets wet and stays that way. I have a bunch of leather ones I used when handling car parts so I have used them. Fake materials breath out my sweat better.