Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes?

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes?
It would be in addition to the tubes. The tubes will be flush with the outside of the ears. Flat plate welded to ears and square tubes. To me, it seems overkill.

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #52  
If it were mine I'd just buy a couple of latch boxes and start from scratch. Those Kubota ssqa adapters are worth quite a bit of $$$$. And just latch boxes should only run you a few hundred bucks.

And yes, I'd up the tube size also

What size tubes are you guys thinking. Was at my steel guys place today and he suggested putting a solid 1.5” round bar in inside the square tube. Fits good and snug. Could drill holes in square tube to weld to the round.

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #54  
And are Smooth like it was applied like caulk. How do you do that?
I use Weld Improvement Compound.
I apply after it's cooled and sandblasted and it penetrates the weldment and base metal carrying the weld penetration further and deeper into the metal, correcting for porosity and correcting any errant crystalline structure. My welds pass an ISO 7734 certification from the federal bureau of taurus excrementum.

nice. Do even need to weld it for it to work?

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #56  
What size tubes are you guys thinking. Was at my steel guys place today and he suggested putting a solid 1.5” round bar in inside the square tube. Fits good and snug. Could drill holes in square tube to weld to the round.

I’d rather build it strong and build it once. I was thinking more like heavy wall 4” tube.

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #57  
No doubt beveling is good practice, I wonder why manufacturers dont. Seems its just sop for the home craftsman. Plus manufacturers all use mig. How does penetration from .35 gsaw compare to stick?
Manufacturers have engineers that run the calcs on stress & loading & they specify weld process, weld size & joint configuration required. If the loads on a particular joint doesn't need CJP to hold then the manufacturer isn't going to waste the costs of beveling, & welding when a simple fillet will serve the purpose.

Us field guys - we just overbuild it so we make sure we aren't called back because it broke.

Last edited:
I’d rather build it strong and build it once. I was thinking more like heavy wall 4” tube.
Here’s a spartan one. It looks like they only used a single tube. Would like to know what grade and what thickness. The angle they did will work great for attachment facing the excavator but will almost be useless for using facing away. You would have to extend boom out pretty far to get whatever you have attached like forks level. But doing a bolt on does give the ability to reverse it.
151070E3-DDE4-4783-B8E5-BAF06DBDA79B.jpeg

/ Will this hold or crack over time? Do more passes? #59  
Solid round inside will add little to the strength.

I'm not at my computer, but you can calculate stress and deflection pretty easy if you can operate a basic calculator. Really only need to know the span (distance between the latch boxes) and the moment of inertia of the steel section you select. Which is widely published.

I tried to find a load calc. There was one I used…. span of 44”, middle 3rd, tortional stress from 2000lb and came up with like 21,000lb. No ideal if it was a correct type of calc cause it doesn’t take into the leverage.