Swollen Ford Lug nuts

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Anyone else deal with this! Holy swollen nut batman!!! I have a 2014 F-150 and my buddy and I went to do a rear brake job today. Out of the 12 rear nuts, we could only remove 6. That's with trying PB blaster, using a 1200 ft/lb pneumatic impact wrench, 20V Dewalt impact wrench and (3) 1/2" breaker bars with 3' cheater bar (broke all three breaker bars), and trying a micro butane torch. WTF??? We still never removed both rear tires. If I was on the side of the road with a flat and ran into this issue, I probably would have set fire to the dang thing. WOW! I can't believe the level of effort we've made and still not succeeded. Has anyone else gone through this? What was the solution? I'm about to drill all the studs and snap them off, then replace them.

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts #2  
I'm about to drill all the studs and snap them off, then replace them.
They're tough if 1200 lbs won't break them. Hopefully the PB Blaster will work it's way in overnight, then try something with a little more heat tomorrow to help it along. Otherwise you will indeed need to drill them, at least enough to get the penetrating oil onto the threads. Or find somebody with cutting torches...

Good luck.

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts #3  
Run it down the road dragging your brakes. This will heat up the rotors and stud bolts. Stop and try to loosen them. If it does not work run them a little more dragging your brakes to heat them up again and get out and spray wd 40 around the lug nuts. It will get sucked up around the threads. You should be able to bust them loose then. As much force as you say you put on them the studs should have snapped. If above tricks do not work get a longer cheater bar. They will eventually brake loose or snap off.

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts
Apparently, this is a known issue, and a class action lawsuit was filed against Ford. Man, this is ridiculous trying to remove these blooming things! Apparently, they're 2-part lug nuts with a steel nut and aluminum over wrap. The aluminum swells and galls against the alloy rim. Good grief man, what a PITA! Drilling is looking like my only option.

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts #5  
I can remember when I was younger some cars had left hand threads on lugs on one side of the car. I can remember being frustrated by having to guess which way to turn the lug nut.

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts #6  
Several years ago I read a few posts, here on TBN, about folks having troubles with loose lug nuts. I went out removed one lug nut at a time - applied Blue Lok Tite - re-tightened. Lug nuts are not about to loosen on MY tractor.

So - last year, I went out and checked one lug nut on the tractor. It was tight, darn tight, but I was able to break it. I used my 3/4" breaker bar and impact sockets.

I would suggest - mild heat, WD-40 or the like, wait a few days - try again. When you finally get them off - Ford should have retrofit lug nuts to replace the OEM.

Last edited:
   / Swollen Ford Lug nuts #8  
   / Swollen Ford Lug nuts #9  
I learned my lesson years ago.

whenever I change tires (ie: summer to winter tires), I spray a liberal amount of WD40 on both the hub and studs (lug nut threads) before putting the tire back on. Never had any problems since.

breaker bar works though in situations like this; just tap/hit the breaker bar with a 10 lb sledge hammer to break the bond. Usually works.

/ Swollen Ford Lug nuts #10  
Apparently, this is a known issue, and a class action lawsuit was filed against Ford.
Friend of mine had the same problem. After fighting with the dealer they finally gave him new ones.
I don't use an impact on mine, power bar only as I don't want to deform the s/s shells if they're two piece nut's or beat them to pieces if they not.............Mike