Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #71  
Mothers take care of their boy's too . . . ;).
I wasn't being clear. Sorry. What I meant was why was he the one asking mother and not one of his sisters. Girls not interested in cooking anymore?

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #72  
I wasn't being clear. Sorry. What I meant was why was he the one asking mother and not one of his sisters. Girls not interested in cooking anymore?
I have three sisters and 2 brothers; I am in the middle at 79 . . . my sainted mother gave me her and our grandmothers recipes/book . . . I guess for some reason she (mother) wanted me to have them . . . I think part of it was I was my grandmother's favorite . . . :love:

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #73  
I have three sisters and 2 brothers; I am in the middle at 79 . . . my sainted mother gave me her and our grandmothers recipes/book . . . I guess for some reason she (mother) wanted me to have them . . . I think part of it was I was my grandmother's favorite . . . :love:
You must be the one who showed the most interest in and gobbled up grandma's cooking.

How come you have not shared with us your favorite grandma's winter stew?

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #74  
You must be the one who showed the most interest in and gobbled up grandma's cooking.

How come you have not shared with us your favorite grandma's winter stew?
I will have to look . . . it's been a long time . . . I will.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #75  
in 2002, I asked my mom to collect her favorite recipes. She was 70 at the time and I wanted to preserve them. (pun intended)
She is still kickin' and we have used the cookbook she handmade many times.

One that stands out isn't a recipe but rather a way to can vegetables without a pressure cooker.
It seemed strange until I understood it but she did it this way for years.

View attachment 732115
All the canning books and USDA now says that this method is unsafe. But people did it and survived. We do use the pressure canner though. Not taking a chance.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #76  
By the way, who is Elsie?

I made the cake yesterday. Ate a chunk of it this morning. Tasty. Will eat more for dessert after dinner. The raisins make the cake stands out. I normally have cake with black coffee. This cake should go well with a nice Kentucky bourbon.
My Mother in Law; departed this earth more than 50 years ago. I used to make it in November, and store it on top of the frige for Christmas. I hate to put it this way, but it's a great substitute for fruit cake.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #77  
My Mother in Law; departed this earth more than 50 years ago. I used to make it in November, and store it on top of the frige for Christmas. I hate to put it this way, but it's a great substitute for fruit cake.
Quite right, it is a version of the traditional fruit cake or Christmas pudding. Used to? Don't you make it anymore? I will be having "Elsie" for dinner next Christmas.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #78  
sree251 . . . you are welcomed here.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #79  
Quite right, it is a version of the traditional fruit cake or Christmas pudding. Used to? Don't you make it anymore? I will be having "Elsie" for dinner next Christmas.
Well, our kids are all gone, we're getting older, and holidays, especially the last couple of years, are not as much in our control as in years past. However, I still like it, and maybe I can make it again soon.

P.S. Are you in the field of education? A professor perhaps?

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #80  
Well, our kids are all gone, we're getting older, and holidays, especially the last couple of years, are not as much in our control as in years past. However, I still like it, and maybe I can make it again soon.

P.S. Are you in the field of education? A professor perhaps?
Kids coming home for the holidays does give an incentive to cook up a feast. Cooking and the cleaning up takes work. Luckily, I do enjoy cooking and somewhat of a gourmet. So, whipping up dinner for myself alone or with a friend is not a chore to me. If your wife likes food, then there is something for her and you to look forward to every day if you play chef with your recipes.

You did ask before about my background. I got distracted and did not get back to you. I apologize. My only farm experience was as a kid visiting with family in upstate New York. They had a chicken farm. I was an engineer by trade and worked in the heavy construction field. I did not like the profession and took early retirement. Yes, I would have been happier doing research in engineering science.