Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #61  
My grandmother used to make it. This is my version of it from what I remember.
Grandma seems like the likely one to pass on the recipes of America's farm cooking. But the ones in this thread are coming from guys driving tractors. What I call farm cooking today was something like cowboy cooking back then. In the old days on the range, the kitchen was the chuck wagon and the cook was the man. Miss Kitty of Gunsmoke didn't cook.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #62  
Grandma seems like the likely one to pass on the recipes of America's farm cooking. But the ones in this thread are coming from guys driving tractors. What I call farm cooking today was something like cowboy cooking back then. In the old days on the range, the kitchen was the chuck wagon and the cook was the man. Miss Kitty of Gunsmoke didn't cook.

Here's the kinds of recipes that Grandma left...

1643903508355.png

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #63  
Here's my Grandmother's (born 1887) recipe for corn bread dressing. It was never placed in the turkey, but cooked separately. I love it with mashed 'taters covered with giblet gravy. Modified slightly by Sharn Jean.

CORNBREAD DRESSING

Ingredients for cornbread

2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups flour
2 Tbs baking powder
2 and 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix ingredients in a mixing bowl; pour into a greased, 9X13" cake pan. Place into a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool; crumble and allow to dry for a couple of days.

Ingredients for Stuffing

Dry Cornbread (above)
1-14oz package of Seasoned Bread Stuffing Mix (Sharn Jean uses Pepperidge Farm)
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups (approximate) turkey broth/drippings
Salt, pepper and sage to taste

Heat onion, celery and chicken broth in a sauce pan until celery is tender. Mix cornbread and bread stuffing mix in a large bowl; add onion/celery/chicken broth.

Add turkey drippings to effect a wet (but not soupy) mix; add salt, pepper and sage to taste.

Add 3 eggs and mix well

Place in a large pan, 3 or 4 inches deep. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, until brown around edges and done in the center.

Best served with giblet gravy.

Note: The boss says that the amount of celery, onion and seasoning (I like a lot of sage) is pretty much a personal preference, and you will have to adjust it to your own liking.

GIBLET GRAVY

Ingredients

Giblets from turkey...gizzard, neck, tail, heart (not liver)
2 or 3 eggs; boiled
2 cups chicken broth (approximate)
flour/water thickener
salt and pepper

Cook the giblets in sauce pan in about 2 cups of chicken broth until done (about an hour or so). Remove giblets, drain and allow to cool. Strain the broth.

Boil eggs until done; slice/dice.
Cut up giblets; tease any meat from the neck. Discard the tail

Add turkey drippings and/or chicken broth to make however much gravy you want. Bring to a boil; add the flour/water thickening until it is the right consistency. Add the eggs, giblets and seasoning to taste.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #64  
Here's the kinds of recipes that Grandma left...

View attachment 732094
This is precious. You need to keep handwritten recipies for the cookbook. Their inclusion would add a charming touch of tradition to the book. 1887 was from the era of the horse and carriage. The Model T Ford was first made in 1908.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #65  
Split Pea with ham chunks. No point in wasting anything.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #66  
in 2002, I asked my mom to collect her favorite recipes. She was 70 at the time and I wanted to preserve them. (pun intended)
She is still kickin' and we have used the cookbook she handmade many times.

One that stands out isn't a recipe but rather a way to can vegetables without a pressure cooker.
It seemed strange until I understood it but she did it this way for years.

View attachment 732115
Called clod pack. My wife does it all the time.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #67  
in 2002, I asked my mom to collect her favorite recipes. She was 70 at the time and I wanted to preserve them. (pun intended)
She is still kickin' and we have used the cookbook she handmade many times.

One that stands out isn't a recipe but rather a way to can vegetables without a pressure cooker.
It seemed strange until I understood it but she did it this way for years.

View attachment 732115
What a great mother you have. Her recipe collection is done by someone with care and affection. How come you asked her to do it and not one of your sisters (if you have any)?

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #68  
What a great mother you have. Her recipe collection is done by someone with care and affection. How come you asked her to do it and not one of your sisters (if you have any)?
Mothers take care of their boy's too . . . ;).

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)
Well, she loves to share and help others. She was at an age when she had time and was excited to be needed like anyone else.
She still keeps her own books, sends emails daily, types up the minister's sermon from Sunday, and gives it to her friends who don't have the capability to link onto a Zoom meeting.
She is 90 now and still walks around the building twice a day weather permitting.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #70  
"Elsie's White Holiday Cake"
By the way, who is Elsie?

I made the cake yesterday. Ate a chunk of it this morning. Tasty. Will eat more for dessert after dinner. The raisins make the cake stands out. I normally have cake with black coffee. This cake should go well with a nice Kentucky bourbon.

Last edited: