Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
This is our favorite winter meal and maybe the easiest to make. Chopping up an onion is the hardest part. Freezes great too, we get about 12-13 bowls out of a double batch.

Hoping others will post their favorites.

1636731068661.png
1636731174480.png

Last edited:
   / Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #2  
Cook some meat. Beef chicken or fish. Fill crock pot with onion, celery, carrots, potatoes. Sometimes I add cabbage and greens. Tablespoon or two cayenne pepper flakes. I cook 5 gallons at a time. Save my plastic jars fill with soup and freeze. I can eat that three times a day. Never gets old. Add bell pepper or whatever you have to the base ingredients. Meat, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, water. Corn bread goes best. I do not like sweet corn bread.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)
Cook some meat. Beef chicken or fish. Fill crock pot with onion, celery, carrots, potatoes. Sometimes I add cabbage and greens. Tablespoon or two cayenne pepper flakes. I cook 5 gallons at a time. Save my plastic jars fill with soup and freeze. I can eat that three times a day. Never gets old. Add bell pepper or whatever you have to the base ingredients. Meat, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, water. Corn bread goes best. I do not like sweet corn bread.
You must have a big family, freezer or appetite. 5 gallons is a lot. Sounds good. thanks for sharing.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #4  
I boil a left over ham bone or a country cured ham hock for 30 minutes or so in water and some chicken broth(50/50 is fine). Seperately brown some hamburger and beef stew meat, probably a couple of pounds total and drain it. I take tomatoes, green butter beans, colored butter beans, peas, sweet corn off the cob and green beans from the freezer and toss in the pot. I add some whole kernel corn and diced tomatoes from the can and diced up potatoes. Cook until the potatoes, beans and peas are done and add the meat. Let it simmer for a half hour at least and longer is better. Make a cornbread. You can add cabbage or anything else you have and like. I usually use okra as well but I don't have any in the freezer now. Make sure to keep the liquid up in the pot while it's simmering.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #5  
Freeze what's left. The only thing that doesn't freeze well are the potatoes.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #6  
You must have a big family, freezer or appetite. 5 gallons is a lot. Sounds good. thanks for sharing.
It's just me here. But think how long it is before I cook again. I can leave a quart bottle out in the morning to thaw or put the frozen bottle in my lunch box to keep things cool. Warm it when I get home and chow down.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #7  
Don't get no easier'n Dump Soup. Can of this, can of that, can of whatever. Open 'em. Dump' em in a big pot. Might be corn, green beans, some other kind of beans, peas, tomatoes, potatoes, whatever's handy, don't matter none. Some kind of meat, could be chicken, pork, turkey, beef ... don't matter none.

Just needs warming, no cookin' (other than the meat, which might already be cooked). Eat some. Freeze some.

Vary the dumpin's a bit and it could be Dump Stew or Dump Chili.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)
Don't get no easier'n Dump Soup. Can of this, can of that, can of whatever. Open 'em. Dump' em in a big pot. Might be corn, green beans, some other kind of beans, peas, tomatoes, potatoes, whatever's handy, don't matter none. Some kind of meat, could be chicken, pork, turkey, beef ... don't matter none.

Just needs warming, no cookin' (other than the meat, which might already be cooked). Eat some. Freeze some.

Vary the dumpin's a bit and it could be Dump Stew or Dump Chili.
This is as true as it is hilarious.

You have wiped out any need for anyone else to post a recipe and with the name "DUMP SOUP" from "DIGGIN" I'm not sure I want to make soup anymore.

I started to ask what logo Campbell's would use on a label for that but I will let that one alone- it wouldn't be good.
Thanks much 😫

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #9  
Here's my stew recipe that I recently posted in another thread. It's the second post.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #10  
Chicken soup

1 Whole Chicken (3-4 lb)
1 tablespoon "Better than Boullion" chicken base
Black Pepper (freshly cracked) to taste

Fill normal sized pot with enough water to cover chicken and add the above ingredients.
Water should be about 1/2 inch from top of pot.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
Cook for about 45 minutes or until chicken meat pulls away from the bone cleanly.
Carefully with large slotted spoon remove chicken from pot and put in large bowl to let cool to the touch.
Skim surface of broth left behind of any excess fat etc.

While the chicken cools cut up 1 yellow onion, 2 carrots and a few stalks of celery very finely diced.
Heat a small amount of olive oil in saute pan and add vegetables to soften.
To the saute add, 1/4 tsp corriander seed, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp sea salt and a squirt of cirrachi sauce (or any moderately heat hot sauce).
Add to soup stock.
Add 1 small can of store bought chicken stock (to overcome evaporation during the chicken boiling process)

Debone the cooled chicken and add to the soup stock.

Cut up very finely 1 small bunch of cilantro and 1 fresh jalapeno (removing seeds and pulp) and add to the stock.
Add 1 bag of broad egg noodles and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

****When ready to serve add some chopped green onion and a squeeze of lime.***

Thats about it. Pretty simple and it will warm your bones.