Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #11  
Here's a couple more that I really like. The Taco Soup is quick and easy and everyone seems to like it. The Green Chile stew goes really with a Mexican dinner.

“Green Chile Stew (Pork)”

One small (2 lb) pork roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

One can of diced tomatoes

One medium yellow onion, chopped

Potatoes, 2 or 3 medium, cubed

Choped Green Chile, (to taste, depending on how hot they are).

One clove of garlic, chopped.

Salt and pepper to taste

Put potatoes on to boil with enough water to cover; and begin browning pork in skillet with salt, pepper, garlic and salt.

When meat is done to a golden brown, put all ingredients into the same pot with the potatoes; simmer until the
potatoes are done.

=====================================

“Taco Soup”

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 package dry Ranch salad dressing mix

1-16oz. can Ranch style beans

1-16oz can pinto beans

1-10oz. can of Rotel Tomatoes

Fresh green chiles, to taste (chopped), or canned will work.

1 package dry taco seasoning

1-16oz. can of whole kernel corn

3-16oz. cans stewed tomatoes

Brown Meat in stew pot, drain fat and add remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat until hot.

Suggestion: Serve over Fritos corn chips and top with cheddar cheese.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #12  
Not a big soup guy here, but whenever we have a turkey I'll make what my mother used to call skeleton soup. After the turkey's been disassembled, toss the bones in a pot of water and let them simmer for a few hours until all the remaining bits of meat have come off. Fish out all the bones, then add diced potatoes, carrots, celery and whatever else is handy...even throw in some slightly freezer-burned peas or corn. Season to taste. Let it simmer on the woodstove for several more hours and enjoy.

My mother would do this every time we had a turkey, and I always thought it was just what you did, but judging by the number of blank looks I've gotten as an adult, apparently it wasn't as common as I'd thought. Brought it up at Thanksgiving and my sisters (who also do this) thought for a minute and commented along the lines of "now that you mentioned it..."

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #13  
I pressure canned 14 qts. of bean soup last week. A lot of times, when I'm hungry for it, I don't have the time to cook it. Pressure canner capacity is7qts., so 2 hours of prep time on a rainy day days many hours X 7. I have 2 pressure canners, so made 14 qts.

I bought a Sugardale butt portion ham, made right here in Ohio for Thanksgiving, and put it in the smoker, with hickory chips to double smoke. Ate on it a few days, then trimmed off what was left to make soup. Gave a qt. to a friend to try, who is a great cook in her own right. Asked her yesterday what she thought of it, and the answer was "excellent." How much you want to fix, is limited to how many qts. you want to pull off the shelf. No waiting to thaw, just put in a pot to heat.

I used Great Northern beans, because they have fewer carbs., but any can be used. If you use Pinto beans, I'd suggest letting them go 1 hr. & 45 minutes + so they will be tender. When I first started making this 20+ years ago, I used the Wyler's Chicken Bullion granules, it had a really good taste. For some reason, they stopped
making them, so used the Knorr brand powder. Still pretty good, but liked the Wyler's better.

Canning Navy Bean Soup

2 lbs dry navy beans, rinsed
half of small onion diced
1-2 medium carrots diced
1 stalk of celery diced
1 cup of diced ham
chicken bouillon, powder
hickory smoked salt
water
7 quart jars, lids and rings

I prep my jars first by washing them and get my lids and rings in hot water. After this I cut up my vegetables and ham. Lastly, I sort my beans, wash with cold water and let drain well.

Then in no particular order I add the following in each quart jar:
3/4 cup dry navy beans (do not soak beans), rinsed
1 Tbsp onion, diced
3 Tbsp chopped ham
1 Tbsp carrot, diced
1 Tbsp celery, diced
1/4 tsp hickory smoked salt ((any seasoned or plain salt will work or omit)
2 tsp chicken bouillon, powder

After this I add water to fill to the 1 inch head space. Wipe rim of jar with clean cloth. Affix lid and ring and place in pressure canner.

Process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure

If you choose to reduce to pints you should would need to reduce everything by half and process 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

Attachments

• DSC01293.JPG
    DSC01293.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
   / Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #14  
I use a simple recipe for stews, roasts, and beef tips with gravy. The only difference is the amount of water and corn starch added.

1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup worchestershire sauce, 1 packet brown gravy. 1 large onion, a spoon full of crushed garlic.

2 cups water for beef tips and gravy. Gotta cook the stew meat for around 1 to 1.5 hours in a large frying pan with water, onion, garlic, and sauce/ gravy mixture. 1 to 2 table spoons of corn starch mixed in with a small amount of water at the end. This prevents lumps. I usually do 1 TBSP at a time till I get the desired thickness for the gravy.

Sometimes you need to add a cup of water to the mix to get enough gravy. Just depends on how much water boiled out cooking the stew meat.

If using cubed sirloin steak for beef tips, cut the amount of water some. Since the meat doesn't take long to cook. It's an experiment

2 cups water for pot roasts. I slow cook a 7lb chuck roast in the oven at 250° degrees for 4 hrs. Then add the taters and veggies, mix everything to get the veggies coated with the gravy. Then cook for 4 hrs or until veggies are at the desired tenderness.

For stews, I do the stew meat in the crock pot on low for 4 hrs, and use 3 cups water. I add the veggies after 4 hrs and cook for at least 4 more hrs, until the veggies are at the desired tenderness and taters are cooked all the way through.

Beef tips, I serve over egg noodles. Roast and stews get taters.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #15  
Don't get no easier'n Dump Soup. Can of this, can of that, can of whatever. Open 'em. Dump' em in a big pot. Might be corn, green beans, some other kind of beans, peas, tomatoes, potatoes, whatever's handy, don't matter none. Some kind of meat, could be chicken, pork, turkey, beef ... don't matter none.

Just needs warming, no cookin' (other than the meat, which might already be cooked). Eat some. Freeze some.

Vary the dumpin's a bit and it could be Dump Stew or Dump Chili.
My favorite "Dump Soup": Takes about 1 minute of prep time if you have a good can opener.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (10 ounce) can chunk chicken
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained

Open cans, dump ingredients in pan, heat it up then eat.
Add whatever you like to it... onions, cayenne, whatever.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #16  
My favorite "Dump Soup": Takes about 1 minute of prep time if you have a good can opener.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (10 ounce) can chunk chicken
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained

Open cans, dump ingredients in pan, heat it up then eat.
Add whatever you like to it... onions, cayenne, whatever.
Personally, I try to avoid canned vegetables, broth, etc when I can. Got borderline high BP, don't need all that added salt.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #17  
OP asked for quick and easy, not healthy. ;)

My wife (CHF & no sodium) has to be out of town before I can have it.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #18  
Chicken soup

1 Whole Chicken (3-4 lb)
1 tablespoon "Better than Boullion" chicken base
Black Pepper (freshly cracked) to taste

Fill normal sized pot with enough water to cover chicken and add the above ingredients.
Water should be about 1/2 inch from top of pot.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
Cook for about 45 minutes or until chicken meat pulls away from the bone cleanly.
Carefully with large slotted spoon remove chicken from pot and put in large bowl to let cool to the touch.
Skim surface of broth left behind of any excess fat etc.

While the chicken cools cut up 1 yellow onion, 2 carrots and a few stalks of celery very finely diced.
Heat a small amount of olive oil in saute pan and add vegetables to soften.
To the saute add, 1/4 tsp corriander seed, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp sea salt and a squirt of cirrachi sauce (or any moderately heat hot sauce).
Add to soup stock.
Add 1 small can of store bought chicken stock (to overcome evaporation during the chicken boiling process)

Debone the cooled chicken and add to the soup stock.

Cut up very finely 1 small bunch of cilantro and 1 fresh jalapeno (removing seeds and pulp) and add to the stock.
Add 1 bag of broad egg noodles and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

****When ready to serve add some chopped green onion and a squeeze of lime.***

Thats about it. Pretty simple and it will warm your bones.
That sounds good! Go Dawgs! Saw one of your finest residents here in Indy for the game this weekend.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #19  
That sounds good! Go Dawgs! Saw one of your finest residents here in Indy for the game this weekend.
I hope you make it, it's really good. I'm from Louisiana so I'm an LSU guy but I was most certainly a bulldawg on Monday night!

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #20  
Here's one we love to make. It's super easy and I'll usually make a double batch so I can bag and freeze into multiple portions.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
2 TBL olive oil
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small yellow onion, diced
Pinch salt, plus more to taste
1, 2" piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
2 tsp curry powder
1, 15oz can of coconut milk
1 cup water
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Garnish, if wanted:
Cilantro leaves
Lime wedges
Plain greek yogurt
Toasted butternut squash seeds

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven to medium/high heat. Saute the onion, squash, and pinch of salt until soft.

Add the curry and ginger and cook until very fragrant (about 1 minute).

Turn down heat and add coconut milk and water, simmer about 15 minutes (do not burn coconut milk).

Use a blender to puree the soup until completely smooth. Check seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges, greek yogurt, toasted squash seeds if desired.