Newbie question

/ Newbie question #1  
Tractor
International 674
Hi,

im going to be buying my first tractor and the tractor I was looking at has a 12x12 shuttle shift. I’m wondering how similar this transmission is to a semi truck 10 or 13 speed? Can I “float”? If I’m going from low range to medium do I go to medium range while in 4th and then when I shift I’ll go to 5th gear by shifting back to 1? Can I go from mid range forward straight to mid range reverse? Will it hurt the transmission if I start in 5th on level ground? How difficult would a 75 hp tractor be for someone who has tractor trailer experience?

Thank you!

/ Newbie question #2  
Typically you must be at a standstill to shift ranges H, M, L. Depending on your tractor the individual gears may or may not be synchronized. On my Kubota M5660, I have to be stopped and select bunny or turtle range. Once the tractor is in motion, I can shift the individual gears (1-4) by clutching and shifting just like any manual transmission automobile. My tractor has a hydraulic shuttle shift and I simply move a lever on the steering column to go from forward to reverse on the go, no foot clutching required. The tractor has a hydraulic foot clutch I can use at my discretion, for example in an inching situation.

/ Newbie question
Oh I got it way wrong. I thought I’d be shift up 12 gears. I was like, if I can’t float that’ll get annoying quick.

thanks for responding. I think it said they were synchronized. What does that mean?

/ Newbie question #4  
Hi,

im going to be buying my first tractor and the tractor I was looking at has a 12x12 shuttle shift. I’m wondering how similar this transmission is to a semi truck 10 or 13 speed? Can I “float”? If I’m going from low range to medium do I go to medium range while in 4th and then when I shift I’ll go to 5th gear by shifting back to 1? Can I go from mid range forward straight to mid range reverse? Will it hurt the transmission if I start in 5th on level ground? How difficult would a 75 hp tractor be for someone who has tractor trailer experience?

Thank you!
The range selector is typically not synchronized and doesn't shift like a truck. My question is, why would you want to go through the gears like a truck? Usually you select a range that is right for the job you are doing and then change gears to adjust the speed faster or slower as needed, Normally I just use the hand throttle to keep a constant speed for using 3 point implements and because it keeps the PTO speed steady. I only use the foot throttle for loader work and shift from forward to reverse in the same range

/ Newbie question #5  
Oh I got it way wrong. I thought I’d be shift up 12 gears. I was like, if I can’t float that’ll get annoying quick.

thanks for responding. I think it said they were synchronized. What does that mean?
Not Knowing the tractor, I'd say the gears are synchronized, but the range isn't. For transporting mine on our gravel road, I'd select my 3rd range, first gear to start and then up shift like an old car to get back to the house.

/ Newbie question #6  
For the most part if the transmission is not synchronized you pretty much have to come to a complete stop to change gears. That is the way my very basic tractor is. Most of the time it is a non-issue. If it is synchronized you can shift it just like a manual transmission car but even then that does not always include the lowest gears. Ask the dealer to explain it then get on the tractor and drive it around for a while. The dealer should be happy to accommodate a test drive.

/ Newbie question #8  

My 4wd trucks have always had 4wd low and 4wd high. I have to stop to shift from low to high range. That is even less of an issue with a tractor. It is not the same as driving a stick shift car or truck.

Typically you would only be using low for plowing or something that would require lots of low speed grunt; middle range would be where most people run for mowing and general travel in the field or woods; high range would nearly always be driving on a road or other smooth surface to get somewhere else.

My previous tractor was 16 gears and in 27 years I never had a need to shift ranges on the fly.

/ Newbie question
For the most part if the transmission is not synchronized you pretty much have to come to a complete stop to change gears. That is the way my very basic tractor is. Most of the time it is a non-issue. If it is synchronized you can shift it just like a manual transmission car but even then that does not always include the lowest gears. Ask the dealer to explain it then get on the tractor and drive it around for a while. The dealer should be happy to accommodate a test drive.
Would this be a good time to tell you I’m buying it from China?

/ Newbie question
My 4wd trucks have always had 4wd low and 4wd high. I have to stop to shift from low to high range. That is even less of an issue with a tractor. It is not the same as driving a stick shift car or truck.

Typically you would only be using low for plowing or something that would require lots of low speed grunt; middle range would be where most people run for mowing and general travel in the field or woods; high range would nearly always be driving on a road or other smooth surface to get somewhere else.

My previous tractor was 16 gears and in 27 years I never had a need to shift ranges on the fly.
I know my transmission gear and tons will effect my pto, but does it also effect the hydronic stuff? Like cutting down trees?