Newbie question

/ Newbie question #11  
Trucker here.
Like the above posters have pointed out already, you could have any combination of gears being synchronized. In most cases, the ranges are not synchronized and have to be shifted while stopped. I tried it once on a model to keep shifting while moving. No chance.
As far as I can remember, a JD 5M has the higher speed ranges synchronized up and down.
The gears in each range are usually synchronized up and downshift.
The clutch needs to be used for all shiftings. Some models have a declutch button on the shift lever. That can be used instead of the pedal but can not be feathered like the pedal.

It's an entire different animal compared to an Eaton.

/ Newbie question #12  
There are lots of types of tractor transmissions but the 12 speed is common.

A lot of 12 speed transmissions will have 3 ranges and the ability to select gears from 1,2,3,4, and maybe Reverse within each range. The Ranges are almost never synchronized, the Gears within a range may or may not be synchronized, but that doesn't matter since you usually have a pretty good idea of what speed you want to work in. The throttle gives you finer control in that gear....just like in a car. All the tractor's gears are pretty low, so a tractor will start out in any gear, it just has more torque and less speed in the lower gears.

But tractors have something beyond just selecting Ranges & Gears. Lots of tractors have some form of "powershift" with hydraulic clutches that automatically clutch for you as you move from one gear to another. Sort of like syncronized gear shifting on steroids.

Another thing that many tractors have that cars and trucks don't have is a hydraulic "reverser". That is an amazing feature - often via a lever on the steering column - that simply moves between forward and reverse in any gear. One moment you are going forward pushing the loader bucket into a pile of gravel, and then you flick that lever and you are almost instantly going backwards in the same gear. Or you might hold the lever for a moment to stop all the drive power while you raise the bucket.

If you choose any form of manual shift, I think you will like it. They are well worked out, and lots of options. Very reliable. The one thing I would always want would be a reverser.
rScotty

/ Newbie question
Nice looking little machine.
Less than 20k for one with a cab and ac/heat. I want to have my first tractor be cheap so if I break it while learning it won’t put me under.

/ Newbie question #16  
Nice looking little machine.
I read their web description of the tractor and I saw it was certified for European use, but I didn't see anything about American tier IV final certification. Might double check that.

/ Newbie question
I read their web description of the tractor and I saw it was certified for European use, but I didn't see anything about American tier IV fin certification. Might double check that.
I think it has a Tier 4 Shibura motor

/ Newbie question #18  
Less than 20k for one with a cab and ac/heat. I want to have my first tractor be cheap so if I break it while learning it won’t put me under.

You are asking pretty basic questions for someone who has already decided on a tractor brand. That's backwards. You would be better served to spend the money on an better known brand of used tractor.

/ Newbie question
I read their web description of the tractor and I saw it was certified for European use, but I didn't see anything about American tier IV final certification. Might double check that.
554 my bad.

/ Newbie question
You are asking pretty basic questions for someone who has already decided on a tractor brand. That's backwards. You would be better served to spend the money on an better known brand of used tractor.
I gotta see which one is the prettiest before I know which one I want.