Watch out for bicycles too.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #11  
I use my mountain bike as both a trail bike and road bike. I like the ability to ride on the shoulder of the road when I hear a car coming on the backroads I ride on. I know I have the same rights as a car on the bike but that doesn't matter if I'm dead, so I make sure to get out of their way.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #13  
Every time the cyclist/motorist discussion comes up all that I can think of is "Can't we all just get along?"

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #14  
The funny thing is, somehow people assume that getting in a car is somehow safer than riding a bike, despite it being the leading cause of death for several age groups in this country. https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/06/13/bicycling-the-safest-form-of-transportation/

So ride a bike. It's cheap, makes you more attractive to the opposite sex, and the cops won't nab your transportation when you crack a beer on the way home from work.

51639989056_7072339b16_b.jpg

/ Watch out for bicycles too.
That’s why I got my bike, it’s a chick magnet.

There are a lot more people driving cars than riding bikes, hence the stats will show a lot more deaths in automobiles.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #16  
I retired and started riding my bike again. I am fortunate that the Wabash Trace is fairly close to me. I drive to the trailhead and only ride on the trace. It is a rails to trails path so, no cars, virtually no hills, and 80% shaded. On hot days I can't imagine being out on the roads in that blazing sun. With today's distracted drivers I just don't see a need to take the risk.

Doug in SW IA

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #17  
I recently got into biking again in my retirement. I’ve ridden a little over a 1000 miles in the last 4 months. Most of this has been on rural paved roads near my house. It seems like once a week someone does something stupid around me, usually passing where they shouldn’t be. Someone went through and compiled a GIS type format on bike deaths for last year. Usually several hundred die every year, and 25% are the hit and run variety. This is just the deaths that could be found from news sources, there are probably more.

I tend to ride on low traffic roads and stay as far to the right as possible but a lot of states have a law that gives the bike the right to the entire traffic lane. Most people are pretty good about being safe but not everyone. I see lots of signs about seeing motorcycles and farm tractors, don’t forget bicycles also.
We have dedicated, decaled bike lanes on both sides of our wider 2 lane roads, yet many cyclists choose to ride the 2 (or more like 1.5) lane roads with no shoulder, cliff on one side and river on the other.

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #18  
We have dedicated, decaled bike lanes on both sides of our wider 2 lane roads, yet many cyclists choose to ride the 2 (or more like 1.5) lane roads with no shoulder, cliff on one side and river on the other.

Just because there's a bike lane, doesn't mean we're obligated to use it. My city does this all the time. Builds bike infrastructure, then fills it full of shitty intersections, obstructions, debris, or doesn't maintain it. It's fine if you're out for a toodle with the kids, I guess. But if you're just trying to get to work, it's safer, faster, and easier to just take the roads.

How to build good bike infrastructure:

(There's also some great pull type 3 point snowblower action in there if you're into that kind of thing. :D )

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #19  
I used to ride the road a lot...exercise, to work, school, play, etc. Then came "smartphones" and "in dash infotainment" systems. That's the end of my road biking. Doesn't matter what the law is at this point with so many distracted drivers. If you still insist on the risk you should at least use hi-vis clothing, bright flashing front and back lights even in full daylight. ...and good luck :(

/ Watch out for bicycles too. #20  
I sold my motorcycle years ago because no one pays attention. They are texting or eating or putting on makeup etc. Sadly, I wouldn't even think about riding a bicycle these days on a public road