priced out a L47 and M63

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #11  
That's about right. JD320s don't wear very much or very quickly. Grease counts for more than oil changes.

Lots of old style tractors were durable in the same way too.

There’s a few industrial tractors on the same level but tractors in general won’t survive what a 310 will. A 310 is very excessively built designed to survive for a long time. My M59 wasn’t even close to the same durability.

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #12  
That's about right. JD320s don't wear very much or very quickly. Grease counts for more than oil changes.

Lots of old style tractors were durable in the same way too.

I see your question about a thumb. For the 310 the price of adding a thumb depends a lot on whether you have accessory hydraulics to the rear and also if those hydraulics are 2 way or 1 way. JD offered both as accessories. So It could be either. Anyway, the answer to the thumb question is in the $7500 to $12,000 range.
Of course with the thumb comes the ability to do a lot more that just dig with the backhoe.

As far as digging goes, the JD 310 will out dig the M59 by about double....but you may not need that much capacity. I don't. About the biggest thing I ever build is a pond or an irrigatio trench. For small homeowner jobs on our own land like those, either machine digs at about the same rate. The accuracy and ease of use of the M59 makes it equal to the brute strength of the 310.
If I was doing foundations all day everyday then the 310 size would make a difference.

BTW, the 310 is 4x4, 90 hp turbo, cab with everything, biggest bucket (410 tilt option 1.3 cu. yd), stereo, counterweights, air seat, rear hydraulics, comfort ride, and extendahoe. I'm making a buddy seat for it.

The M59 has a canopy.... and a thumb.
We usually use the M59.
rScotty

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #13  
I see your question about a thumb. For the 310 the price of adding a thumb depends a lot on whether you have accessory hydraulics to the rear and also if those hydraulics are 2 way or 1 way. JD offered both as accessories. So It could be either. Anyway, the answer to the thumb question is in the $7500 to $12,000 range.
Of course with the thumb comes the ability to do a lot more that just dig with the backhoe.

As far as digging goes, the JD 310 will out dig the M59 by about double....but you may not need that much capacity. I don't. About the biggest thing I ever build is a pond or an irrigatio trench. For small homeowner jobs on our own land like those, either machine digs at about the same rate. The accuracy and ease of use of the M59 makes it equal to the brute strength of the 310.
If I was doing foundations all day everyday then the 310 size would make a difference.

BTW, the 310 is 4x4, 90 hp turbo, cab with everything, biggest bucket (410 tilt option 1.3 cu. yd), stereo, counterweights, air seat, rear hydraulics, comfort ride, and extendahoe. I'm making a buddy seat for it.

The M59 has a canopy.... and a thumb.
We usually use the M59.
rScotty

My last 310 had a manual thumb. My current 410 I just bought doesn’t have a thumb. My mini x has a hydraulic thumb. It makes a huge difference in the capability of the machine. Even an easy like loading extra buckets on the truck is hard without having a thumb. I would rate a 310 at 4-5x the dirt moved over the m59 vs double though. The buckets hold more dirt, the boom has more reach and the hydraulics are faster. The full size hoe really lacks In versatility is the main drawback. Adding much needed features like a grapple, pallet forks, quick change backhoe buckets, and a hydraulic thumb add up to more than the 310 is worth the start with. Those features are much more affordable on other equipment.

Last edited:
   / priced out a L47 and M63
dealer says the L47 does not use Government fluid for regen, that is a plus.
got 1440 hours on my L45, its is good for everything but not the best for anything. I got the tractor bug, started with a BX23, then a B3030 (broke the dipper stick), then moved to the L45.
a typical day is to climb a steep grade - sometimes backward depending on the moisture level, traverse a slipe through the trees, dig out a large rock - spin around pick it up with either a grapple or pallet forks.
clean up storm damage with the grapple
transport soil from one area to another
dig oak saplings and replant them
maintain a 40-foot creek crossing
disc the garden
1000 foot of gravel driveway maintenance, including drainage on both sides - I live in a flood plain area,
310 worries me about the weight around the place and the damage it will cause.
wheel loader, ag tractor, and a mini x would be great but I can't sell a kidney at this point in life. another option would be a skid steer and a mini x. just not sure about the skid steer on the side of the slope or traveling up a grade to grab a tree or rock.
used modern 310 with less than 1000 hours is about the same price as the units I am looking at on tractorhouse.

Last edited:
   / priced out a L47 and M63 #16  
what is the maintenance like on the 310? I can dig around the interwebs to see what a thumb addition will cost and i really want the tilt bucket which is around 5k

You already have a good L45. You could just add to it.
Why replace it with something roughly the same?

First thing on my list would be some rear remotes. I think you already have SSQA and front remotes.
You can sell me that front 4n1 bucket if it will fit SSQA.
Get yourself a good full size round back bucket with replaceable edge.

Then change the BH bucket attachment coupler to the K7543 type quick connector ($1000). You do that because the K7543 is the same quick coupler used on Kubota CE series Excavators and once you are coupling with that you have all kinds of options you can run on the hoe, including the tilt and rotating buckets.

You can use your old BH buckets with the K7543 coupler by welding on Kubota's conversion ears.

Be nice to add an air seat plus "comfort ride" to store energy in the loader arms.
Have you thought about a fold out windshield?

There you have it; a much more capable - & interesting - L45 for way less dollars.
rScotty

You already have a good L45. You could just add to it.
Why replace it with something roughly the same?

First thing on my list would be some rear remotes. I think you already have SSQA and front remotes.
You can sell me that front 4n1 bucket if it will fit SSQA.
Get yourself a good full size round back bucket with replaceable edge.

Then change the BH bucket attachment coupler to the K7543 type quick connector ($1000). You do that because the K7543 is the same quick coupler used on Kubota CE series Excavators and once you are coupling with that you have all kinds of options you can run on the hoe, including the tilt and rotating buckets.

You can use your old BH buckets with the K7543 coupler by welding on Kubota's conversion ears.

Be nice to add an air seat plus "comfort ride" to store energy in the loader arms.
Have you thought about a fold out windshield?

There you have it; a much more capable - & interesting - L45 for way less dollars.
rScotty
Interesting. I have the quick coupler BH bucket but I believe it is different than the Kubota excavator buckets. Love the air ride seat idea, never understood why they put such a cheesy seat on something someone spends hours on. My ZD326 mower has a lazy boy feeling seat compared to the folding chair feel of the L45.

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 136
   / priced out a L47 and M63 #18  
Interesting. I have the quick coupler BH bucket but I believe it is different than the Kubota excavator buckets. Love the air ride seat idea, never understood why they put such a cheesy seat on something someone spends hours on. My ZD326 mower has a lazy boy feeling seat compared to the folding chair feel of the L45.

The factory TLB coupler is different from any excavator lineup. But if you’re adding the coupler you can use an excavator one to get more freedom with attachments.

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #19  
Jcb makes the 3cx compact that is comparable to the m62 just a little bigger and more capable. Everyone looking at a m62 should research the jcb. Only issue is that their order book is 12 months out right now. Good luck

Jcb makes the 3cx compact that is comparable to the m62 just a little bigger and more capable. Everyone looking at a m62 should research the jcb. Only issue is that their order book is 12 months out right now. Good luck
Interesting, however, I do not see anything in their propaganda about being able to use 3 point also. Wonder how their pricing is?