priced out a L47 and M63

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #1  

workinallthetime

Veteran Member
Tractor
L45 TLB, ZD326P
1 was surprised to see that the L47 equipped with a thumb, 39" tilt BH bucket, and front Hydraulics was
$72,316.97
and the M63 outfitted the same was
$86,806.38
My L45 has exactly the same specs as the L47 and with less than 1500 hours I am rethinking the decision. I could use the capacities of the M63 but I feel selling a kidney is not a wise decision at my age.

the salesman mentioned the RTV1120's will not be available again until late spring and the pre-government fluid L45's are selling like gold right now. he posted one for sale on Friday and had it sold in 2 hours the following Monday.
needless to say, I have an RTVX1120 I am going to try and sell for more than what I have in it and buy the CFO a really nice Christmas present in hopes next summer there is a new M63 in my barn.
Has anyone had any experience with these new tilting BH buckets? Curious how it activates and if it is easier to use than my thumb. I have worn out several shoes using the heel to pull back on the pedal to retract the thumb. another dealer used some cheap 22 awg wire on my 3rd function for the loader that I had to replace completely after it kept breaking inside the insulation.

the delivery date for either unit is a guess, my RTV took 3 months.
my only other option seems to be a full size used 310 Deere, I climb hills and move large rocks quite often for landscape improvements, dig stumps, grapple brush, and use the 3 point to disc and maintain 1000' of gravel drive.

good luck all

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #2  
Previous M59 owner here. I don’t think that machine would benefit from a tilt bucket very much. It’s too slow to do much with it. I’ve got a Kubota KX-040 now and it’s way better at digging then the M59 was.

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #3  
For the thumb on the M59, I made a wooden insert for the heel&toe pedal so it would fit my shoe better, and then bolted an upright lever to the side of the pedal so the thumb can also be worked by hand. Now it's easier to operate - but still needs lots of improvement.

For 3pt we use an old farm tractor. As for big construction size TLBs, there are deals on older Case 580 and JD310s with everyone buying new ones now.

Especially good deals if you don't mind shifting gears.

/ priced out a L47 and M63
I am truly torn, 50% of the time a mini x or a 310 would be great. Problem is I climb a steep grade and work off the side of a hill quite often around here gathering rocks or firewood. The Mini x I am afraid would take me an hour to get to the hill and might flip over and the 310 is just big and no 3 point. I like the idea of the old ag unit for 3 point work. Find a old Massey 265 with some weight

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #5  
I am truly torn, 50% of the time a mini x or a 310 would be great. Problem is I climb a steep grade and work off the side of a hill quite often around here gathering rocks or firewood. The Mini x I am afraid would take me an hour to get to the hill and might flip over and the 310 is just big and no 3 point. I like the idea of the old ag unit for 3 point work. Find a old Massey 265 with some weight

I know nothing about miniX. But any machine goes straight up and down OK. It's side hills where I get into trouble.

Our 4x4 JD310SG with good tires the front end slides way too easily on side hills. That's NOT the answer. If working slopes I take the M59.

Right on the 3pt. An old Ag tractor is the ticket there.

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #6  
I definitely understand your concerns. That’s why I used to own a M59. The 310 is big, strong, durable, and fairly economical to buy. The downside is they’re not very versatile. I also used to own a 310 and I just bought another one. The mini x also isn’t very versatile although it’s better at stuff besides digging than you might think. The biggest downside is it’s slow to travel. It’s stable though. It might take an hour to get to the top of the hill but it won’t flip. It’s probably the most stable of the 3 machines. The 310 definitely wins last place for for stability and driving through mud. The M59 is versatile and compared to tractors it’s a great machine. But compared to construction machines it’s durability left room for improvement. Also it’s controls left room for improvement. I was never happy with that aspect of mine. I ended up selling mine in fairly short time and getting a mini excavator and skid steer and I’ve never been happier. I ended up buying another 310 but that was mostly a want vs something I couldn’t do without.

/ priced out a L47 and M63
what is the maintenance like on the 310? I can dig around the interwebs to see what a thumb addition will cost and i really want the tilt bucket which is around 5k

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #8  
what is the maintenance like on the 310? I can dig around the interwebs to see what a thumb addition will cost and i really want the tilt bucket which is around 5k

When you’re running a 20-30 year old 310 you put diesel in it and change the engine oil when you feel like it and everything else will sort itself out.

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #9  
I think you’re going to be disappointed trying to do much besides dig holes with a backhoe. Especially a little backhoe. I mini x is WAY better.

/ priced out a L47 and M63 #10  
When you’re running a 20-30 year old 310 you put diesel in it and change the engine oil when you feel like it and everything else will sort itself out.

That's about right. JD310s don't wear very much or very quickly. Grease counts for more than oil changes.

Lots of old style tractors were durable in the same way too.

Last edited: