Smart Shop tips!

/ Smart Shop tips! #91  
Nice! I need a misc bit rack like this. So many are laying down mixed up that I have no clue what I have.

BUT what do you do to make your largest drill size hole 1/64th oversized? :laughing:

You buy a drill bit that size, drill the hole and then throw the bit away.

/ Smart Shop tips! #93  
Grandad thought of this years ago (50s). Instead of throwing one gallon metal cans away he cut as shown by the black line, straight down about 5", up at angle across, down other side to match, removing the spout area. Pliers he'd bend sharp edge inside 1/4". Then lined up on a shelf. Each one different sized nails, screws, etc.
You saw what it was then it had a handle to pick it up by, contents went to bottom.View attachment 659723

That’s a good idea. I use an old can opener and just cut the top off.

/ Smart Shop tips! #94  
Perhaps not shop per se'..... but when I open a bottle (gallon) of bar oil for my chainsaws, I take the cap off but instead of taking the seal under it off, I punch a hole in it with a Phillips so now I have a much more controlled flow of oil into the saw.

Good idea. Another idea that I've found useful regarding chainsaw oil bottles, replace the cap with the lid off of a mustard bottle. The flip top saves me a lot of time when overfilling my chainsaw :laughing:

/ Smart Shop tips! #95  
Perhaps not shop per se'..... but when I open a bottle (gallon) of bar oil for my chainsaws, I take the cap off but instead of taking the seal under it off, I punch a hole in it with a Phillips so now I have a much more controlled flow of oil into the saw.

I use the 2-in-1 gas cans. One side is 1.5 gal of fuel, the other is 1/2 gal of oil. The spouts it came with are horrendous. I've just been too occupied (or lazy?) to find alternatives that work better.
Briggs_&_Stratton-85310-image.jpg

In searching for an image I discovered they make a saddle pack for this type of can. This is now on my shopping list.
gas_can_pouch-large.jpg

/ Smart Shop tips! #96  
When re building a carburetor I smear the gasket with grease, it makes for a good seal and can be reused a few times.

/ Smart Shop tips! #97  
In my shop I made a long swinging overhead arm from which I hang an extension cord.
I hate tripping over a gaggle of extension cords!
I hang a trouble light and a splitter for power tools.

/ Smart Shop tips! #98  
Good idea. Another idea that I've found useful regarding chainsaw oil bottles, replace the cap with the lid off of a mustard bottle. The flip top saves me a lot of time when overfilling my chainsaw :laughing:

I don’t go through a gallon of oil when I use my saws so I rarely am filling the saws in the field from a gallon jug. A quart bottle is usually fine for field pours but I may try changing the cap to a mustard top.

/ Smart Shop tips! #99  
I use the 2-in-1 gas cans. One side is 1.5 gal of fuel, the other is 1/2 gal of oil. The spouts it came with are horrendous. I've just been too occupied (or lazy?) to find alternatives that work better.
View attachment 659768

In searching for an image I discovered they make a saddle pack for this type of can. This is now on my shopping list.
View attachment 659769

Easy-peasy solution as I have a similar can for 2-stroke/chain oil... I replaced the both of the spouts with the cut-off tops of 1.5 ltr (or whatever equivalent size in Imperial) plastic drink bottles.

Cut across at the 'flare' so that when you screw down the lock-collar, with the ring gasket, you get a good seal. Now you have a short spout with a screw-cap that's a heck of a lot easier to manage and fill the smaller tanks of you chainsaw, whipper-snipper, etc...

/ Smart Shop tips! #100  
Easy-peasy solution as I have a similar can for 2-stroke/chain oil... I replaced the both of the spouts with the cut-off tops of 1.5 ltr (or whatever equivalent size in Imperial) plastic drink bottles.

Cut across at the 'flare' so that when you screw down the lock-collar, with the ring gasket, you get a good seal. Now you have a short spout with a screw-cap that's a heck of a lot easier to manage and fill the smaller tanks of you chainsaw, whipper-snipper, etc...

I had to read twice to picture what you said. Good idea!