Front locker available for Kubotas

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #21  
Solenoid lockers on front, rear AND transfer case... holy cow. I am amazed at that. Off roaders must relish that feature.

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #22  
Got to admit - the Taco Wagon is the first vehicle, I've owned, that has a locking transfer case also. Lockers - front & rear - yes. Quite honestly - if you are in a situation where you might need to lock the entire drive train - I'd be looking for a winch point. From my EXTENSIVE experience of being stuck, while in AK - I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get in a situation like that again. Being stuck and winching is fun - maybe the first time. After that - a dirty, nasty, PITA.

Can you imagine being covered - head to toe - in nasty mud and getting back into a $74K vehicle. Neither can I.........

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #23  
Several years ago I ran one of these in a Jeep axle. Worked okay. Some quirky side affects. It applies itself when power is applied. The spider gears are removed. This unit goes in their place. When power is applied the spider gear pin going thru the center forces the notched pieces outward and causes engagement. So every time you apply power, it's locked.

Imagine this. Slick conditions. FEL bucket full of material. 4wd engaged. Front wheels turned for sharp corner. Add power. Unit engages. Front wheel on inside of turn needs to travel "X" distance. Front wheel on outside of turn needs to travel "Y" distance. Locker says nope, you both are going to travel same distance. Something has to give. First thing it will try to do is straighten the front wheels. Next, one tire has to skid, one has to spin.

For this reason I quit using it. Extremely stressful on axle components. Severely limited power turns.

Contact Kubota and see what they say. :)

Bingo.

I expect it would void the drivetrain warranty.

SDT

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #24  
None of my 4wd pu's have solenoid locking "transfer cases", (it isn't needed) why make it another electrical connection, when all I have to do with mine is, "pull on the handle" and it's locked!

SR

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #25  
None of my 4wd pu's have solenoid locking "transfer cases", (it isn't needed) why make it another electrical connection, when all I have to do with mine is, "pull on the handle" and it's locked!

SR

Is it because Ram is using an AWD T-case and need a locker to lock the center diff?

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #26  
Is it because Ram is using an AWD T-case and need a locker to lock the center diff?
Back in the 70's I bought a new AWD pu., It STILL just the same handle to pull to "lock the case"...

Solenoid activation is just something else to go wrong when it get's older...

SR

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #27  
Sawyer Rob - something can always go wrong - - new or old. I have an extended vehicle warrantee that covers everything. From the front bumper to the rear bumper. Especially all the electronics.

When I pull the 4WD lever - the gears in the transfer case are not locked up. They will still differentiate power to the front/rear drive line, depending upon multiple conditions. I can, if the front & rear diffys are also locked, turn the knob and lock up the transfer case.

Just a case of many differing drive line configurations.

Last edited:
   / Front locker available for Kubotas #28  
Mechanical locking on the T-case is preferred. My 00 Super Duty used an electric motor to lock the case and/or engage low side. It's never failed and never been repaired.

When you engage 4wd on your tractor you are locking the T-case.

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #29  
Sawyer Rob - something can always go wrong - - new or old. I have an extended vehicle warrantee that covers everything. From the front bumper to the rear bumper. Especially all the electronics.

When I pull the 4WD lever - the gears in the transfer case are not locked up. They will still differentiate power to the front/rear drive line, depending upon multiple conditions. I can, if the front & rear diffys are also locked, turn the knob and lock up the transfer case.

Just a case of many differing drive line configurations.

It sounds like you have a AWD type T-case that allows slippage when not locked in. They will use a type of viscous coupler or clutch pack so you can leave it in 4x4 without binding up.

/ Front locker available for Kubotas #30  
Mechanical locking on the T-case is preferred. My 00 Super Duty used an electric motor to lock the case and/or engage low side. It's never failed and never been repaired.

When you engage 4wd on your tractor you are locking the T-case.

On a FWA tractor, there is NO trnsfer case, just a shift fork and gear and the front dif is turning all the time anyway, no freewheeling hubs, not that new trucks have them but I do. No point in unnecessary wear.