Zero turn won’t move

/ Zero turn won’t move #1  

ttener

Tractor
NH 33D
I realize this isn’t the correct forum, but I’m hoping someone here has experience with zturns also..,

My buddy has a kubota Z725. He called and said it quit moving. I took a look at it yesterday. Belts are all still in place, mower blades engage, the pulley off the motor is spinning, but it just won’t engage the drives. I thought possibly air got in somehow, so we disengaged the trans drives and went thru the air bleed procedure. Still nothing. What am I missing? The drive belt is somewhat loose, but it needs to be or it would be in gear all the time. What mechanism makes that belt engage the drives when you push the control bars forward or reverse?

/ Zero turn won’t move #2  
will it spin the tires if you jack it up? is it full of hydraulic fluid? the pump is always working and the lever just moves a valve to direct the flow of fluid, its not like there is some kind of gear or clutch engagement.

/ Zero turn won’t move
Interesting! No, the tires don’t move when it’s jacked up. Also, based on you reply, I’m thinking the belt between the motor and the transaxles should never be idle - it should always be spinning. Otherwise, how can the pumps be pressurized to do anything? Thanks! I will retrace the belt path more carefully

/ Zero turn won’t move #4  
Is there a clutch that is not engaged. Maybe an electric clutch or centrifugal?

/ Zero turn won’t move #5  
I suspect a spring on idler pulley broke for the transaxle drive. The pumps should always be spinning if the engine is running

/ Zero turn won’t move
Thanks everyone! Once I understood that the pumps needed to be turning all the time it was a pretty simple problem to solve. Somehow, the idler arm got locked up and the spring couldn’t pull it into tension. I backed off the nut a turn and it went back to the correct position and all is right with the world again!

/ Zero turn won’t move #8  
Thanks everyone! Once I understood that the pumps needed to be turning all the time it was a pretty simple problem to solve. Somehow, the idler arm got locked up and the spring couldn’t pull it into tension. I backed off the nut a turn and it went back to the correct position and all is right with the world again!
Maybe not totally. Most of those idler arms for belt tensioners have a spacer inside that the arm rotates around. Most of the time if the arm seized that means that the spacer has seized to the arm, And by loosening the bolt you are allowing the spacer to turn on the bolt instead of the bolt holding the spacer solid and the arm rotating around the spacer.