ZD fluid levels

/ ZD fluid levels #1  

Pinch

Tractor
JD950, Kubota L4610, Kubota B2620
I serviced my ZD21 today and found something interesting. I changed the transmission fluid, including both rear axle gear casings (L/R). The WSM states "To check the oil level,draw out the dipstick,wipe it clean, replace it, and draw it out again".

What they don't explain is whether you should screw the dipsticks in fully to check the levels. There is quite a bit of thread (especially in the axle cases) and it must make a difference in the reading. For example my JD tractor manual clearly states that you should wipe the dipstick and then set it in the hole on its threads. It should not be screwed in. Now I don't have the owner's manual and maybe it is explained there, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me the right way to do it. Thanks!

/ ZD fluid levels #2  
If you are at the full line fully screwed in, you are fine. Also if you are above the min line not screwed in, you are fine.

/ ZD fluid levels #3  
according to my small engine mechanic, gassers are more tolerant of engine oil overfill compared to diesels. may have something to do w/injector pump, etc. on my kawi gassers, i check w/dipstick unscrewed for level. imho 1/3 pint overfill is ok, but no more

/ ZD fluid levels #4  
according to my small engine mechanic, gassers are more tolerant of engine oil overfill compared to diesels. may have something to do w/injector pump, etc. on my kawi gassers, i check w/dipstick unscrewed for level. imho 1/3 pint overfill is ok, but no more
The original poster was asking about the tranny fill, not the engine.

/ ZD fluid levels #5  
The original poster was asking about the tranny fill, not the engine.
ok, good point, my mower has a different check for hyd fluid. in fact, may be more imoprtant not to overfill than engine sump. regards