Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,191  
Blackwood Lumber – Blackwood Lumber

This is interesting decking material. I want to keep my eye on this brand and competitors in the future. Sounds great for horse trailers for sure. One rainy day coming back from a parade my daughter put the brakes on hard when the tilt bed started to break over and the tractor slid all the way down until it reached the driveway. Thankfully the axles were level so it went off the tail and not the side.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,192  
I love this Diamond C trailer.

View attachment 588279

Nice! We have a pair of the Diamond C 48HDT that we use for deliveries. We went with the 22' only because we often have a backhoe and a rotary mower to deliver along with the tractor/loader and that takes up some deck space. Both of ours have the heavy duty fenders like yours, and we also went with the 17.5" wheels with HD tires and we mounted winches on both trailers. No doubt they are expensive, but that is a lot of trailer. With Diamond C, you can just keep checking boxes, pick your axles, your length, your cross member spacing, paint color and so forth. The painful part, if you get carried away, is it takes a while to get a custom trailer, and all of that hot rod customization does cost something.

We mounted the winches inside the toolbox. Out of sight, probably less likely to get stolen. Then we have a removable panel in the deck where the cable comes through for when we are using the winch.

You have a nice looking tractor - trailer package.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,193  
Nice! We have a pair of the Diamond C 48HDT that we use for deliveries. We went with the 22' only because we often have a backhoe and a rotary mower to deliver along with the tractor/loader and that takes up some deck space. Both of ours have the heavy duty fenders like yours, and we also went with the 17.5" wheels with HD tires and we mounted winches on both trailers. No doubt they are expensive, but that is a lot of trailer. With Diamond C, you can just keep checking boxes, pick your axles, your length, your cross member spacing, paint color and so forth. The painful part, if you get carried away, is it takes a while to get a custom trailer, and all of that hot rod customization does cost something.

We mounted the winches inside the toolbox. Out of sight, probably less likely to get stolen. Then we have a removable panel in the deck where the cable comes through for when we are using the winch.

You have a nice looking tractor - trailer package.

Dave, I bet some people, like me, would enjoy seeing pictures of that winch set up if you would care to post them.

TBS

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,194  
Dave, I bet some people, like me, would enjoy seeing pictures of that winch set up if you would care to post them.

TBS

I'd like to take the time to clean the trailer up and not have it parked in a puddle, but then I'll probably not get around to posting the pictures if I did so. These are working trailers, used pretty much every day on deliveries. The fair lead slips into a receiver on the tilt part of the deck. The deck can be locked in the up (fully tilted) position if need be, or any position. When we remove the winch panel from the deck, what you see below is the ground. We have a d-ring to keep the cable in place for storage, and also another d-ring in case we need to double back. Hope that makes sense, and sorry for the poor pictures. I included a picture of the heavy duty wheels with 17.5" tires and the oil bath axles. Same picture shows the 3/16" thick fenders.

fairlead.JPGfront.jpgwheels.JPGwinch panel closed.JPGwinch panel open.JPGwinch.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,196  
How does that blackwood rubber do if you haul material like gravel or dirt on the trailer? I use my equipment trailer occasionally to haul this stuff and it works great to just drive my MCUT (Deere 2520) up on it to remove the material with the loader. The treated 2x8s hold up great for this but I wonder if the rubber stuff would get destroyed?

I can definitely see the benefits of blackwood if you exclusively move equipment on the trailer.

Rob

I don't use it for material. I'm on my third dump trailer, as I'm an abuser when it comes to volume and material bulk loads. Plus the ease of unloading warrants the dump trailer.
The blackwood is a definite plus, especially when there is snow/ice involved.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,197  
Quite the trailer!
Could shorten your winch power cables a few feet though..
I'm afraid to even look up a price.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,198  
Quite the trailer!
Could shorten your winch power cables a few feet though..
I'm afraid to even look up a price.

Good point on the power cables. Shorter cables gives less voltage drop. Probably what was handy when they installed it in our shop. Prices aren't bad on the Diamond C compared to other heavy duty commercial grade trailers. In fact cheaper than many other brands, but a lot more than a mass produced car hauler or a simple equipment hauler. We sell them and the contractor hauling a 10,000 mini-ex or a big skid steer won't bat an eye at the price as he sees the quality and is towing heavy every day. But a trailer like this is just not needed for most non-commercial applications.

We have a heavier trailer for deliveries also. A 32' 25,900 lb tandem dually goose. Has a power dove, power jacks, and 12k axles with hydraulic disk brakes. It stops so well. But every box you check costs something. That tandem dually power dove disk brake trailer lists for over $20k.

Diamond C is innovative. For example, their 14,900 lb low profile dump can come with the standard scissor lift or an optional front mounted telescoping ram...sort of like a real dump truck. Many options.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,199  
Good point on the power cables. Shorter cables gives less voltage drop. Probably what was handy when they installed it in our shop.

I hate it when people say this, but if you can afford the trailer, you can afford a crimper. hehehe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q54N2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_UOEsCb0W2QZ5Z

Then you have enough cable for next time, too.
High current in a coil, it may generate some EMI.
As if it matters, I know.

But a trailer like this is just not needed for most non-commercial applications.

It's just kind of funny to me, because an engineer friend (I'm an engineer too, but never thought about it) commented about the build/quality of my dad's trailer. It's a 20 year old equipment trailer that's hauled a *lot* of shi......stuff. It's no car hauler, but it's apparently not a Diamond C either. For some reason I like trailers.

The trailer wasn't the point of the picture, but this was the load (pallets of wood is all).
AcTq46g.jpg

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,200  
I hate it when people say this, but if you can afford the trailer, you can afford a crimper.

So then, why did you say it? Haha.

No doubt we need to shorten the cables and we have the tools to do it.