Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,121  
I would not want to do the generator maintenance on these 24 engines burning crude oil, you can count the exhaust stacks. More polution than any other ship in the world?

They were a cheaper solution than the Compressed Liquid Natural Gas generator ships they were competing with.

Edit: My understanding is that it was supposed to run on Natural Gas when specifications went out. But got oil engines instead.

1686265321694.png

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,123  
I would not want to do the generator maintenance on these 24 engines burning crude oil, you can count the exhaust stacks. More polution than any other ship in the world?
Snip

Probably less bad than the incinerator ships of old MT Vulcanus - Wikipedia 😁
From what I understand most of those power plant ships are dual fuel motors, capable of burning gaseous or liquid fuels.
Edit: Had a bit of a read of the MAN brochure and the dual fuel motors refer to using pilot fuel. So pretty trivial to burn methane or propane in the power ships.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,124  
that's what we all need, a home gen burning bunker fuel.
I'm sure the neighbors won't mind...

I've never seen or smelled bunker fuel but I'm guessing it's a little thicker than diesel?
or just "cruder"? less refined I know, has to be cheaper to make or these huge consumers wouldn't use it.

let's see, two 1000 gallon propane tanks and a 3000 gallon broken down fuel oil truck full of bunker fuel.
particularly when you are still running and everyone else is out of power.

I wonder how solar power has been impacted by all the Canadian wildfire smoke?
finally clearing up here.
when it's dark out, you'd better have something to make power or store a lot of it.

it's time for me to fire mine up again. Check the oil, still looks like new, use small leaf blower to clean gen off
carefully. I have a vinyl cover for it but that just makes a home for critters. Am always careful when pulling it off.
Won't test load, I do that enough times, but as long as engine runs and gets hot enough for a little while, I've done
my duty. And it has to start by 1003.
so far it has.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,125  
Many years ago I did some maintenance on a steam boiler that used #6 oil as fuel. It required preheating for the oil to be pumpable. Steam coils in the storage tank (10,000 gallon) and jacketed oils from the tank to the boiler, the hot condensate from the steam coils in the tank returned in the jacket. Then steam was injected along with the oil to the burner nozzle it actually burnt good once it got running at load and temperature. You had to get the small auxiliary boiler going good and making dry steam (super heated) before attempting to light off the big unit

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,126  
At the other end of the scale..... heard about one of these from Noraly....

What is Karadeniz Powership?

Powers an African country, amongst others.

Rgds, D.
Travel..... Perspective Gained....... (in this case, by a third party..... )

In that recent vid, Noraly was in an African country, powered (at least near the coast), by one of these Turkish ships.

Interesting on-the-ground comparison with something I'm reading @ the moment, Epstein's Fossil Future. (A good book so far, but you have to have the patience/like to read enough to get through a Philosophy Major's bolt by bolt construction of a monster steel-man argument).

Gambia (I might have the country wrong, if so, it is a neighbouring one) is being funded by the World Bank for large hydroelectric projects (which, on the ground, most of the locals figure the money is just going to disappear) to get the country off the Power Ship.

Real World, Today example ^ of why Oil and Hydroelectric are so hard to replace.....

No power to run it.... but I'm thinking of Will Roger's quote about 'Learnin, and Electric Fences...... some people today might gain some edumucating by spending time in a 40+C country, w. no electric-grid.....

Rgds, D.

#6,127  
They SHOULD be nuke powered!

SR
Repeating myself, likely....

.... but when Stewart Brand has come around to advocating nuclear..... It Is Time.....

Rgds, D.

#6,128  
I wonder how solar power has been impacted by all the Canadian wildfire smoke?
finally clearing up here.
when it's dark out, you'd better have something to make power or store a lot of it.

it's time for me to fire mine up again. Check the oil, still looks like new, use small leaf blower to clean gen off
carefully. I have a vinyl cover for it but that just makes a home for critters. Am always careful when pulling it off.
Won't test load, I do that enough times, but as long as engine runs and gets hot enough for a little while, I've done
my duty. And it has to start by 1003.
so far it has.
I like solar in certain applications (mountain-top radio repeaters, or other isolated locations), but those systems have to be well designed/funded and do have limitations.....

The more we Train in Peace...... (y)

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,129  
that's what we all need, a home gen burning bunker fuel.

I've never seen or smelled bunker fuel but I'm guessing it's a little thicker than diesel?
or just "cruder"? less refined I know, has to be cheaper to make or these huge consumers wouldn't use it.

Bunker C or #6 fuel oil:

800px-Residual_fuel_oil.jpg

It has to be preheated to keep it from gelling in pipes.

#6,130  
Bunker C or #6 fuel oil:

View attachment 805403

It has to be preheated to keep it from gelling in pipes.
Thanks for the pic....... I knew the term, but had never seen the product..... It's a bit thicker than what Jed Clampett shot out of the ground, back in the Golden Age of TV..... :cool:

Reminds me of an olde CAT ad....... a reference to "energy laden fuel"...... truth there, even in today's Davos Witch Trials environment....

Rgds, D.