You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,851  
Back to my bin system mentioned yesterday, I have a 24" x 16" x 10" stackable bin labeled "caulk guns and tubes", big enough that both my 10 oz and 29 oz products can share the same bin. Stays in the basement of the house, where it's always cool and relatively dry.
I have stackable squarish Kitty Litter buckets under my workbench with things like Painting Supplies, Concrete Tools, Air Nailers, Drop Cloths, Tie Down Straps, etc...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,852  
Remember the accordion-like scissors gates that opened in the door to keep you back? When the elevator attendant said "step back" with his voice of authority, everyone did.
I still know of three buildings that have small elevators with the inner scissor gates that slide to the side, and the outer door looks like any other room entrance door except it has a small window in it.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,853  
Those are still common in Europe, where many buildings are still running elevators installed ca.1900. I remember one my hotel in Italy (Home in Palace) that was scary enough that most preferred to haul their luggage up and down a narrow open iron spiral staircase, rather than chancing the 120 year old elevator.

No attendants, as the elevators are often barely large enough to fit one person + suitcase. Think moving phone booth, with accordian cage and chain link on the other three walls. Poke a finger out, and you're gonna lose it.
Speaking of elevators and Europe -
I use to love the Paternoster, the never ending lift for the smart person.
Made so much sense to me for going up and down. Dangerous if not careful.
1712176713267.png

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,854  
I still know of three buildings that have small elevators with the inner scissor gates that slide to the side, and the outer door looks like any other room entrance door except it has a small window in it.
Just remembered, a little girl fell to her death in the shaft of the elevator I rode in most often. It might have had nothing but a stretching scissor gate before that. All I remember from that elevator were doors. I think I've seen the stretch type on freight elevators fairly recently.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,856  
Only vaguely. It was a rare occasion that I rode on an elevator.
I rode one as a kid when we went Christmas shopping to the bigger stores. The attendant would let little kids push the elevator button so if the Santa visit, lunch at a counter or booth wasn't enough, pushing the elevator button made the holidays even better. 🎅

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,857  
Talking about elevators back in 1962 or 3 in Italy they
had an earthquake from the heel to the top of Italy and
I happened to be in this elevator the doors are stationary
they stay on the floor not on the basket that was the elevator it had no door but when the quake hit the basket swung away from the wall and standing up in this basket you could look straight down to the bottom of the shaft. The second time the quake hit I was sitting at a table close to the wall and the next thing I was out in the middle of the room.
Does anyone remember the extra wide tires that they
came out with in the 60's? A young kid checked my
tires and put 60 lbs of air in them they only required
around 34 lbs and was driving down the hwyway and
it started to pour the next thing I knew I was flying down
the road at 65 mph spinning hydroplanning not a fun feeling I hit the brakes sliding backwards ended on the
side of the hwyway and waited for all the cars to go by
to go on

willy

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,858  
Our honeymoon suit was the top of the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas. Since the building is shaped like a pyramid the elevators traveled sideways as they rose... weird!

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,859  
I have stackable squarish Kitty Litter buckets under my workbench with things like Painting Supplies, Concrete Tools, Air Nailers, Drop Cloths, Tie Down Straps, etc...
A while back, I bought a bunch of the flip top storage bins and spent an entire day sorting all the "stuff" into them and labeling each one denoting the contents. One is entirely full of boxes of screws and nails, and must weigh ~50lbs. Electrical wiring supplies, painting, tiling and plumbing items all together in their respective bins. Makes finding what you need much easier.

IMG_20200114_173241931.jpg