You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,661  
I recall in grade school one year a nun had a hankering for nostalgia I guess, and we were required to get fountain pens for handwriting class.

They had cartridges. No fountains. So why did they call them fountain pens? Teacher told me to stop asking questions. :ROFLMAO:

And even without fountains, they caused a great mess and we were eventually told to stop bringing them to class. 🙃
I kind of liked those cartridge pens because i could bleach out my many mistakes with Clorox on a Q-tip. o_O

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,662  
Either PA has really bad roads, or she's smacking curbs! :ROFLMAO:
As a 50-year PA resident, who's traveled a lot of other states, I can answer that. Yes, many of our counties have roads that are comparable to a lunar surface, especially this time of year.

This occurs because the most-populated areas of PA (eg. Philly and 'burbs) lie in a climate zone where our temperature dips below freezing every night, then thaws every day, most days for six months out of the year. Frozen water liquifies by noon, penetrates further into any fissures in the asphalt all afternoon, then re-freezes overnight. Repeat ~180 times per year, and you can see where it's headed.

Our roads are a mix of local (township/borough), county, and state, and there are separate repair crews for each. Some counties (eg. Montgomery) do a great job of getting out there and repairing every pothole after every major weather event. Others (eg. Bucks) mostly wait for the road to completely fall apart, and then redo the whole thing. So, in Montgomery the roads are "lumpy", and in Bucks they alternate between smooth and absolutely lunar. Philly proper is known for having potholes so large they can swallow a Smart car, traffic volume is just too high to effect useful repairs at the frequency required.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,663  
If you don’t follow the Christian Resurrection week holy days, no problem. Just don’t expect me not to follow them because you don’t and be at your house trying to sell you replacement windows.
Agreed. No one should be expected to work on their religious holidays, but the post that started all of this seemed to be more than just that. After all, if you're in a retail business, you have to make yourself available when people are not at work, it's the very reason retail stores aren't open only 9-5 / M-F. The contractor had said he'd be available only Monday morning... not Monday evening, after the customer was home from work?

So, while I agree with your point, I'd also not use any contractor who copped an attitude like that. There are just too many others available to call, to waste my time on one who gives me crap, as a paying customer.

In the poster's defense, I think he was joking around about the situation, and maybe they did meet up one evening the following week. :D

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,664  
This occurs because the most-populated areas of PA (eg. Philly and 'burbs) lie in a climate zone where our temperature dips below freezing every night, then thaws every day, most days for six months out of the year. Frozen water liquifies by noon, penetrates further into any fissures in the asphalt all afternoon, then re-freezes overnight. Repeat ~180 times per year, and you can see where it's headed.
Having graduating high school and college in Pennsyvania, as well as living both sides of the state above Philly and above Pittsburgh, as well as taking numerous trips north to New York and south to WV to kayak (point being, I've been ALL over Pa as an adult), I can assure you the ENTIRE state sucks for their roads, not just around Philly ;)

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,665  
Having graduating high school and college in Pennsyvania, as well as living both sides of the state above Philly and above Pittsburgh, as well as taking numerous trips north to New York and south to WV to kayak (point being, I've been ALL over Pa as an adult), I can assure you the ENTIRE state sucks for their roads, not just around Philly ;)
Being an eastern-PA native, my bar is set so low that I marvel how "good" the roads are, every time I visit the western half of the state. :ROFLMAO: It's all relative!

But, point taken... most of the state lies in climate zones with similar behavior, excepting the northwest corner.

I've also spent a lot of years driving thru NJ, and they're at the opposite end of the spectrum, with regard to road construction and quality. No wonder their property taxes are 4x - 6x what we pay! :oops:

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,666  
Agreed. No one should be expected to work on their religious holidays, but the post that started all of this seemed to be more than just that. After all, if you're in a retail business, you have to make yourself available when people are not at work, it's the very reason retail stores aren't open only 9-5 / M-F. The contractor had said he'd be available only Monday morning... not Monday evening, after the customer was home from work?

So, while I agree with your point, I'd also not use any contractor who copped an attitude like that. There are just too many others available to call, to waste my time on one who gives me crap, as a paying customer.

In the poster's defense, I think he was joking around about the situation, and maybe they did meet up one evening the following week. :D
A novel idea...

Unless its something that is of the utmost emergency (say like HVAC or water leak, plumbing or anything else along that nature) when you call for someone to come out to your home, why not just ask when the contractor can come out and work around the contractors scheduel?

I don't need to know why the contractor isn't available to make time to see me, I need to know when he can make the time.

That said, I did have a contractor talk to me on a Saturday on something along time ago. Told him I'd be open any day except tomorrow (Sunday) because my wife and I were working on our new garden. He asked me "You're working on your garden on a Sunday?". I told him yes, only time my wife and I could get together. He then informed me that I'd be lucky to get anything to grow in the garden if I was going to work on building it on the "Lords day". For whatever reason, seems like the Lord disagreed with him.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,668  
There are just too many others available to call, to waste my time on one who gives me crap, as a paying customer.
Maybe in your area. Quality contractors are in high demand in some areas and good work is worth adjusting to their schedule.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,669  
Maybe in your area. Quality contractors are in high demand in some areas and good work is worth adjusting to their schedule.
This wasn't about schedule, it was about being a jerk to the customer. No time for that.

Again, in Bad Boy Biker's defense, he may have been ginning up the story a bit, for effect.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,670  
As a 50-year PA resident, who's traveled a lot of other states, I can answer that. Yes, many of our counties have roads that are comparable to a lunar surface, especially this time of year.

Our roads are a mix of local (township/borough), county, and state, and there are separate repair crews for each. Some counties (eg. Montgomery) do a great job of getting out there and repairing every pothole after every major weather event. Others (eg. Bucks) mostly wait for the road to completely fall apart, and then redo the whole thing. So, in Montgomery the roads are "lumpy", and in Bucks they alternate between smooth and absolutely lunar. Philly proper is known for having potholes so large they can swallow a Smart car, traffic volume is just too high to effect useful repairs at the frequency required.

Our roads are atrocious. They have 1”-2” stiff branches at the height to rip off your $1,000 power mirrors and scratch those nice new dually trucks. The “asphalt” is pitched incorrectly and strewn with pot holes and cracks. They spray it with brine that rusts the underside of your vehicle in a few years.

When they do put some of their taxpayer confiscated funds towards fixing them, its the old “tar & chip” nonsense that ends up with 1/2 the people traveling through that repaired area with a car hood with several paint chips or worse, a cracked windshield.

I swear I don’t know what my local D representative does with the money she gets, but it sure as hell doesn’t go into cutting back vegetation along the roads or fixing the ”asphalt”.

I have 2 trees I drive by every day that are held in place by vines. Once the vines break, the electric lines will be torn down like a house of cards, and a driver could be injured or killed.

I’d give our state roads an “F”.