You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,001  
If you even remember when you could get a semi-roadworthy vehicle for $100 you know you're old.
In 1973 I got a 1966 Plymouth Valiant slant 6 automatic for $100. This was Burlington Vermont when they still piled the roads with salt.
It took about a gallon of bondo for it to pass inspection. The engine burned a little oil to start. About a can every couple of hundred miles.
I patched it up, had some minimal front end suspension work done.
Spring of 74' I and my girlfriend drove it for a "shake down" trip to Mexico.
And then on about another 50 miles to Bar Harbor, Maine.
Than that summer we drove it west to San Diego, up to Seattle, spent a few months and drove it back. It was starting to break down. Had to patch the brakes twice, dump radiator leak stop in the rad every couple of hundred miles.
By the time we got back to Burlington and home it was almost a total gonner. The oil mileage was approaching a quart every 50 miles. We left a trail of blue smoke behind us.
But it had done it's duty.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,002  
Fuddyduddy52 that is beautiful. Awesome condition. What other beauties do you have that you can post pictures of ?
They all need to be washed! The '55 BelAir and '74 Nova wife's Mom bought new and I know mileage is accurate since we've been together since '72. Nova isn't anything special (Nova Custom), 350/350 turbo.
BelAir is a six, powerglide. Mom wouldn't ever have a 4 dr.
20210806_193219.jpg
20210806_193043.jpg
20210804_160709.jpg

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,004  
You own an unused selfie stick? Inh my lame defense It was a gift, However I'm guilty of still having that never used thing. 😂
^^^^
What's a selfie stick? :D
Oh wait, now I just showed that I'm old.

(autospell wants to change selfie to selfish... It must be old, also)

Quote Reply
Report •••

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,005  
I don't know. Few young people know anything about older cars.
Yeah, I don’t think any kids today know what ‘going parking’ means. I have very fond memories of evenings spent parked in a cotton field or on my Pop’s pond dam. Bench seats were
great !👍

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,006  
Drinking & driving. Six of us kids stopped at a store one Saturday night & I bought a case of beer. Proprietor asked "Son, how old are you,?" "15" I replied. He said "At least you're honest" as he rang me up. I could be so drunk I could barely stagger and a policeman would follow me home saying just take it slow. I'd have to close one eye.
Quit drinking after those teen years!
That '55 Chevy you could buy all day for less than $100. In 1972 I took wife to a restaurant and manager asked me to move it to back lot! I bought a '57 Chevy 283 for $75, drove it for a while.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,009  
I did not know that. Thanks!

"Pontiac differed from other GM Divisions and most other manufacturers in producing only a single sized V8 casting, rather than adding a larger big block to its line-up. The external dimensions of all their V8s, from 326–455 cu in (5.3–7.5 L) were the same. "

From here:
Canadian Pontiacs were supplied with Chevy engines for many years. It wasn't until the Firebird and GTO that I ever saw a Pontiac with their own engine. The bodies on most full sized models were different than the U.S. version as well. I once had a 1966 Acadian(Pontiac)SD with a 283 and Powerglide. Other than the emblems, this was identical to a Nova SS