You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #981  
Heck, I had several $500 70s Novas that I'd do that for insurance in case the starter didn't work. :LOL:
For sure starters back then didn't last as long as they do today. The upside is that for the most part they were easy to get at and you could swap one out in 20 min. or so.
Many of my $100 specials had to parked on a hill...you know you are old.
If you even remember when you could get a semi-roadworthy vehicle for $100 you know you're old. :ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #982  
When I was in college in Texas in the 60’s I bought a Nash Metropolitan for $100 as I needed cheap transportation. After college I got a job in San Diego and drove it to CA. Drove that car for a number of years with almost no problems and sold it for $200!

/ You Know You Are Old When

Yep. Did about 3 hours of work outside yesterday. Took my time. Some lifting but not extreme.

Felt fine.

Slept fine.

Woke up this morning, stepped out of bed and my knee almost gave out. Ouch!

I got my assignment for today!

/ You Know You Are Old When #984  
I got a drivers license in 1970. My first car was a $50 VW with no brakes. Fixed and drove that until winter... New England winters are long with no heat! Bought a 1960 Chevy Impala for a $100 with a heater. Then a Pontiac Star Chief with a big block, also for $100 and we thought that car was fast lol. Come Spring I traded that car for a Honda 350CB. It was a great Summer.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #985  
You know you are old when you crank started your first car and quicky learned to park strategically on an incline whenever possible
Same with my Willys Jeep. Park on a hill then reach down & back to those wide rear tires with my left hand to get it rolling.

Changing it over to 12 volt from 6 helped tremendously. Especially with the 6 volt starter still in place. Vroom.

/ You Know You Are Old When #986  
When I was 20 in 1966 I had a 55 Chevy with a built 327. Worked the graveyard shift at Raychem corporation in the Bay Area, so I bought a 53 Chevy to drive to work and leave in the parking lot overnight. Paid 25 dollars drove it for a year and sold it for 50! All I did was change the oil and clean the plugs and it ran great!
Those were the days!☮️✌🏻

/ You Know You Are Old When #987  
I got a drivers license in 1970. My first car was a $50 VW with no brakes. Fixed and drove that until winter... New England winters are long with no heat! Bought a 1960 Chevy Impala for a $100 with a heater. Then a Pontiac Star Chief with a big block, also for $100 and we thought that car was fast lol. Come Spring I traded that car for a Honda 350CB. It was a great Summer.
Pontiac never had a big block.
No offense, just a simple correction.

/ You Know You Are Old When #989  
Pontiac never had a big block.
No offense, just a simple correction.
I did not know that. Thanks!

"Pontiac differed from other GM Divisions and most other manufacturers in producing only a single sized V8 casting, rather than adding a larger big block to its line-up. The external dimensions of all their V8s, from 326–455 cu in (5.3–7.5 L) were the same. "

From here:

/ You Know You Are Old When #990  
When I was in college in Texas in the 60’s I bought a Nash Metropolitan for $100…
My dad had a Metropolitan, late 1950’s into early 1960’s. The story I got was that mom refused to date him until he sold that car.

I guess they weren’t “cool” at the time, but they look neat to me. Wish I had that one today!