You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #391  
I sort of had a love-hate relationship for Lawrence Welk earlier in my younger life. I truly disliked it but the longer I watched it because my family was watching it. I got used to it I guess.

/ You Know You Are Old When #393  
I wouldn’t even know where to find it in this day and age

/ You Know You Are Old When #395  
My great grandmother used to watch it. She lived with my grandparents and one night my brother stayed there. The following Christmas all that he wanted was a set of musical spoons... must be something from the show?

/ You Know You Are Old When #396  
When I got married (1957) we had to have a blood test. I wonder when that went out of favor.
Still required in Massachusetts in 1985.

/ You Know You Are Old When #398  
One of my first musical memories, I was probably 4 or 5, was dad playing Cool Water, I think by The Sons Of The Pioneers. Also played a lot of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and others I can't remember.

/ You Know You Are Old When #399  
When the whole family gathered around the TV to watch the Wonderful World of Disney!!
I could be wrong, but I believe after Disney came "Family Affair" and "Mutual of Omaha's Wild kingdom" was in there as well.

Remember the first time watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Went to my room and came running out crying because I thought the "Child Catcher" was hiding in my bedroom.

Funny enough, Benny Hill was in that movie. Remember watching The Benny Hill Show with my dad laughing as hard as he did. Come to think about it, not really a age appropriate show for young audiences.

Wasn't until I got older when I started wondering how Steve Austin's non bionic arm could keep up with his bionic arm when he was running 60 miles an hour.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #400  
I was at a kid's 1 YO birthday party and watched his grandmother to that to the kid as he was getting ready to take a bite... shoved the entire thing in his face. I almost had a bad spell but bit my tongue. What a rotten thing to do to a kid.
Like I said, I just don't get it. Perhaps I'm a prude, but I find it both rude and inconsiderate.

Now, if your at a drunk fest perhaps I could understand a pie in the face, but even thats stretching it as I'd want no part in clean up.

I had to look it up...

Apparently started in Roman days when brides would have barley cake crumbled on their head. This signified male dominance along with future fertility of the wife. Also read a study where it stated that weddings that had cake smashing involved had a higher divorce rate, but I have no clue how they gathered the data (but I could see it happening).